1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

The underside is painted too - but still comes apart - so I can get the axels in later...

KUB089.jpg

The basic engine got a burnt metal coating...

KUB090.jpg

...and here is the rear axel temporarily attached...

KUB091.jpg

In a break from normal colours I've actually painted the tyres black - as opposed to tyre black.  The problem being that German grey looks too close to tyre black - so lacked definition.

KUB092.jpg

• Like 5

I dry fitted the front axle too - so I could test if my figure had his arms and legs on properly - and that I'd posed the door at the right angle...

KUB093.jpg

It looks like I pulled it off - but for every UP there is always a DOWN & I've smashed the front tow bar...

KUB094.jpg

How did I manage that???  Well I did it whilst trying to paint the dashboard black...

KUB095.jpg

Oh well - I'll have to see if I can rig something up at the end of the build.  I knew it was fragile & I always snap something so HEY HO and away we go :shrug:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The windscreen wipers & motors have been painted black - all I need to do is apply some matt varnish & I 'could' get the windscreen in - but I'm 'scared' - yup I'm a 'chicken'.

KUB096.jpg

So I think I'll leave it for now - I may put some lighter metallic shades onto the pipework of the engine...

KUB097.jpg

...or I may get the planks painted on the chassis floor...

KUB099.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

Looks excellent. You have a lot of skill and patience. 

Well Vaastav - I may have patience - but skill is something that keeps running away from me :)

I thank you though - I need the encouragement :clap2:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I may have patience - but skill is something that keeps running away from me

Don't put yourself down there's nothing wrong with your models

Kubel's coming together nicely, with regards the front bumper could you not drill and pin it for added strengh?

Roger

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Don't put yourself down there's nothing wrong with your models

Kubel's coming together nicely, with regards the front bumper could you not drill and pin it for added strengh?

Roger

Thanks Roger - I'm pondering different methods - some more bizarre than others - we shall see ;)

Steve

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Roger - I'm pondering different methods - some more bizarre than others - we shall see ;)

Steve

Thanks Roger - I'm pondering different methods - some more bizarre than others - we shall see

Steve

Great progress today mate!

Shame about the tow bar but I'm sure you'll fix it.

With regards to tyres I mix a little earth brown into black. Keeps it looking "black" rather than grey but takes it away from the pristine. Took me a long time to figure this out, but it came to me when cleaning the car one day. Never liked the instructions that say to paint them dark grey as it just didn't look right to me.

The other thought is re the windscreen. I use formula 560 canopy glue but as a backup could you draw around the clear part. That way if it goes wrong you could cut one from some clear acetate sheet?

Finally - I have some spare rifles if you would like a couple to mount in the racks?

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Great progress today mate!

The other thought is re the windscreen. I use formula 560 canopy glue but as a backup could you draw around the clear part. That way if it goes wrong you could cut one from some clear acetate sheet?

Finally - I have some spare rifles if you would like a couple to mount in the racks?

All the best 

Ben 

Hi Ben

The tip on the tyre colour makes a lot of sense - also I'll carefully measure the windscreen - in case the dreaded thing happens.

Finally - rifles - hmmm - sounds interesting - if they are going begging I would love to see if they fit - I may need to file the interiors of the rifle holders out a bit - as they are a little crude - but the way I'm building it they could still go in.  Thanks for the offer mate - always appreciated - Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Finally - rifles - hmmm - sounds interesting - if they are going begging I would love to see if they fit - I may need to file the interiors of the rifle holders out a bit - as they are a little crude - but the way I'm building it they could still go in.  Thanks for the offer mate - always appreciated - Steve

No problem - I'll have a dig in the spares and get some sent your way asap.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BIG X said:

@badger - Top man - as always - I hope I do them justice!!!

I'm sure you will - have parcelled them up for you and will be posted Wednesday all being well.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:55, badger said:

I'm sure you will - have parcelled them up for you and will be posted Wednesday all being well.

Hi Ben - Thanks a million for the package - I'm sorry I haven't been on for a few days - things are 'hell' at work - 'staff' - arghhh - enough said...

I had a quick play with the rifles - but the rifle holders are too tight - they are very naïve and were obviously never intended to actually accept rifles.

I may file off the outside clips - which would allow me to get the interiors filed out more to accept the rifles.

It seems that I only get to play on the weekends at the moment - so I'll do an update tomorrow.

Thanks for all the extras too - TOP MAN @badger

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve 

No problem - glad they arrived safely and thought I'd put in some extra bits that might be of use.

It's a shame the rifles don't fit but as you said the kit was probably never meant to take them.

Be interested to see if you can "convince" them to fit.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen
  • 3 months later...

Howdy Folks - I hope everyone is keeping snug & warm.  It's freezing up here on the edge of Saddleworth Moor - minus 2 degrees before you add in the wind chill factor.  The "bobby hat brigade" :cold:are out in force - getting their exercise by walking up our hill - :mental: they must be mad.

Anyway - it's been a year this week since I lost the plot with my Kubelwagen build (when I smashed the front bumper) & other than knocking together a toy barn & forge last Easter I haven't been back to my modelling desk since.  The pandemic / work / broken ribs / eyesight problems / shaky hands - all have had a very negative effect on me.  I wouldn't say I've been struggling mentally - but then again I'm not a doctor.  I completely lost my mojo last spring & all I seem to do these days - when I'm not working - is sleep.

The forum has been a great help & friends like @badger & @Lawzer have kept my chin up & I've been actively supporting the work of others.  I'd like to thank @Pete in Lincs too, as he persuaded me not to bin everything when I thought I was going blind in the autumn.  Eventually I was able to get a proper eye test at the end of October & though I can actually see again my confidence was at an all time low throughout 2020.  I didn't even manage to participate any of the 2020 blitzbuilds - which I found very entertaining in 2019.

Last month I saw the news that Airfix are going to do a 1/35 Austin K2/Y ambulance in the autumn & that actually made me smile for the first time in a long while.  Last March - when I thought I may still have a mojo that just needed a boost, I lashed £200 on 2 x 1/35 Accurate Armour Katys.  That turned out to be a BIG mistake.  I'm not slagging AA - just my ability to do their kits justice.  There were so many broken / twisted / poorly moulded parts that I didn't even make a start on them.

The news from Airfix though has given me new hope & I think I need to get some practice in - so I'm going to pull the Kubelwagen back out of the box & see if I can get it finished.

Wish me luck - Steve

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good luck Steve! Hopefully the build will restore some of that sacred mojo. One foot before the other and before you know it the finish line is in sight, always a good motivation!

• Thanks 1

Great to see you back Steve and I hope you manage to find that mojo and pick this back up.

We'll be cheering you on!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Good luck Steve! Hopefully the build will restore some of that sacred mojo. One foot before the other and before you know it the finish line is in sight, always a good motivation!

Cheers Jeroen - I hope to get it finished - even if it is a year late :)

1 hour ago, badger said:

Great to see you back Steve and I hope you manage to find that mojo and pick this back up.

We'll be cheering you on!!

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - I've been doing a lot of cheering myself in the last 12 months - it will be nice to get back on the pitch myself :footy: and give the ball a good kick

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Yep! Get it moving again, and I'll see you in the queue for the K2.

John.

Hi John - I have big hopes for the K2 - let's hope we are gobsmacked by the quality :cheers:

• Like 2

Not a brilliant start - but I'm not deterred...

KUB100.jpg

I masked off the planking inside the cab.  The 'wood' paint has been sat there for a year & to be honest I seem to remember it was always a bit 'thin' - but it's 'sploshed' into the gaps.  I say I'm not deterred because I can always fill the voids with dirty wash - so - onward & upwards.  The main thing is to create some sort of front bumper & I've been raiding the 'scratch box' for some evergreen bits.  By the looks of it - it won't be pretty - but it will be strong. ;)

More soon - Steve

• Like 6

It's beginning to feel like 'the old days' @Avereda - watching the blues & actually building something....

On 02/02/2020 at 18:42, Avereda said:

What a mess. The VW looks great though.

It was 12 months ago that we went down 2-0 to Tottenham - let's get back to work & beat Liverpool too ;)

• Like 1