1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

22 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Another Big X build to look forward too. I note the instructions show three colour schemes, but the decal sheet has 5 with one of the 'spares' being a Luftwaffe vehicle. If it was me, I'd do a fairly clean grey one with the Luftwaffe plates, maybe splash a little green or sand paint over where unit markings might have been and add the divisional signs to match your King Tiger. Voila, a car 'liberated' from an airfield where the flying staff were strategically relocating back behind the front line and impressed into service with minimal signs of new ownership. 

Andy

Overthinking again

Hey Andy - this is a brilliant idea... In the bizarre workings of my mind where I foresee a diorama that will probably never exist - I have already foreseen my 'My German Forces' - facing off against the British 11th Armoured division - somewhere between Cheux and Caen. 

Now the exciting part is Carpiquet airbase is on a direct road between the two...

map.jpg

I'm sure there would be a Luftwaffe Kubelwagen floating around that could be 're-purposed' by the fleeing troops - it's a brilliant idea!!!!

Thanks Mate - most appreciated - Steve

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm sure there would be a Luftwaffe Kubelwagen floating around that could be 're-purposed' by the fleeing troops

not quite the same Steve, but here's maybe a future project.... a neat OD Schwimmen wagen in USAAF service ;) 

P-38_Lightning_H5-Q_392nd_FS_367th_FG_an

P-38_Lightning_H5-Q_392nd_FS_367th_FG_and_Schwimmagen_France_1944

or a British one, 11th armoured Div IIRC... Came up while searching for the above image

5b5028292fe55144301b284693f10a78--army-v

or...

a114985-v6.jpg

Image search  "captured schwimmwagen USAAF"

there are more.... 

if this tickles your fancy, google

"panther cuckoo tank"  which I think might amuse?

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hey Andy - this is a brilliant idea... In the bizarre workings of my mind where I foresee a diorama that will probably never exist - I have already foreseen my 'My German Forces' - facing off against the British 11th Armoured division - somewhere between Cheux and Caen. 

I'm full of daft modelling ideas like that, it's the making them where I fall down :D 

I know you're an 11th Armoured devotee. My own pet unit is Polish 1st Armoured, and these Decals include a Kubelwagen they captured in Holland. It was a short leap from there to the Luftwaffe idea. 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with now :)

Andy

• Haha 1

Wow - missed the start of this so will pull up a seat and sit quietly at the back supping my pint and trying not to make too much noise with my scampi fries.

Looks a very nice kit, although those injection marks on the doors are a bit inconvenient.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, badger said:

Wow - missed the start of this so will pull up a seat and sit quietly at the back supping my pint and trying not to make too much noise with my scampi fries.

Looks a very nice kit, although those injection marks on the doors are a bit inconvenient.

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - always good to have you along - I had a little tinker last night - but nothing worth getting a photo of - the usual worries are nagging - i.e the fragile looking gearstick / handbrake / steering wheel.  I may just leave them out until the very last minute - as I'm bound to snap them otherwise.

All the best - Steve

• Like 1

You're a bad man Steve (in the best possible way). Since I don't have any current GBs to keep me out of trouble I've got a set of those decals I mentioned on the way from Poland and three kits coming to stick them on :o (All 1/48, so they can sit alongside my AA Crusader).

I'll be taking notes as you progress in the hope I can scale your tips and tricks down. No pressure ;) :D 

Andy

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops!!!  I have been a little sloppy in updating my build - shame on me - I have not only let down you - I have let down myself... :sad:

So - if you will forgive my poor performance - here is the meagre output...

The first job on the Kubelwagen was simply applying the exhausts to the underside of the engine detail...

KUB043.jpg

I have bought a separate engine - which will join with this from above.

next up was adding the back of the engine compartment to the base of the chassis...

KUB044.jpg

For the top part of the chassis I added the bonnet & the base of the rear chassis - to create a stable 'top part'.

KUB045.jpg

It's a start - sorry for the delay - Steve

• Like 4

You're forgiven. Welcome back, I wondered where you were. Mind you, it's been well over a week since I got any modelling done. Hopefully I'll get on it tomorrow.

BTW, looks like the side airbags inflated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You're forgiven. Welcome back, I wondered where you were. Mind you, it's been well over a week since I got any modelling done. Hopefully I'll get on it tomorrow.

BTW, looks like the side airbags inflated!

Thanks Pete - I have been tinkering and not really taking any progress photos - just 'doing a bit' here and there - as we tend to do....

However - I have scanned the phone and found a few more pictures I took along the way....

Popping the basic top and bottom together shows I have the basis of a car...

KUB046.jpg

But then comes my biggest mistake - up to now - the rear tow bar thing...

KUB047.jpg

..it was a git to put together - but apart from that it caused me a major problem later - but we won't let that spoil things for now :doh:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, s.e.charles said:

prototype question: do we know what the engraved letters on the fuel tank signify?

thanks

I will consult the Haynes manual tonight...

• Like 1

A quick update - I've been sticking a bits together as follows...

This is the under tray to the spine of the vehicle - which for some unknown reason comes in 2 pieces - I've glued them together and will stick some blutak in the spine to hold it whilst priming and painting - as I want to remove it later to pop the front and rear axels in...

KUB049.jpg

Here are the said axels - which I want to paint black with metallic bits...

KUB061.jpg

the front and now the rear which contains something to do with the engine...

KUB060.jpg

The bottom of the engine is moulded onto the base of the chassis and this will need to be painted before I permanently affix the under tray...

KUB043.jpg

Here is the top of the engine...

KUB063.jpg

...which goes inside the boot like so...

KUB067.jpg

this is only a dry fit as there are a couple of other fiddly bits to go there and I want to paint the interior first - then drop the engine in.

...it's starting to make sense now.

• Like 6

Evening All - a bit more progress - but we are definitely in need of some primer - hopefully tomorrow eh...

Anyway - I got the boot door done - but there is a problem - so more on that later...

KUB050.jpg

I also committed to sticking the most fragile bits in place...

KUB051.jpg

watch these get snapped at :doh:some point soon...

I did glue some 'sturdier' items too though...

KUB058.jpg

more to follow and hopefully some primer action in morning...

51a01ccaf34182ed137cd02e6f5427da8bb56e14

I don't have any napalm - but I do have primer :)

Exciting - hopefully ;)

• Like 7

Steady progress Steve but starting to come together nicely.

Primer - exciting! Will be looking forward to seeing what you get up to tomorrow.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Morning Folks - from the wild & windy moor...

...it's a bit too blustery for the planned priming at the moment - but I've been having a tinker and I've decided to get even more stuff stuck together - even at the risk of snapping something...

The headlights are on...

KUB052.jpg

I stuck the rear tow bar thing on earlier in the week and I think I mentioned - I set it too low - hence the shim of plasticard...

KUB053.jpg

...as you can see if the boot lid was down there would be a nasty gap...

KUB057.jpg

Now I'm actually having the boot open - to show the engine - but hopefully it has neatened it up a bit.  It looks thick but it's actually only 0.5mm.

• Like 2

I was little more careful with the front bar - but it seems VERY fragile...

KUB054.jpg

I popped the filler cap on too & got the steering column fixed.  I'm leaving the steering wheel off until the end as it is very delicate and the blob of blutak is to leave clean plastic for a good connection.

KUB066.jpg

The notek and shovel will go on later too.

I've put the dashboard in place - along with the cross bar which has 4 rifle grips...

KUB055.jpg

I'm still a bit annoyed that there isn't a decal for the dash display - I saw at least 3 at the Bolton show and they all looked like they had a decal.  I intend to 'bodge it' - but a proper decal would have been better.

• Like 5

Well the wind seems to be getting 'windier' - so we're off to ASDA shortly - I hope it may still calm down before it goes dark.

I've glued the frame for the canvas top in place...

KUB056.jpg

and put the rear notek light in place.

The cnas top itself has a lot of nice texture...

KUB065.jpg

...as do the seats...

KUB064.jpg

KUB064A.jpg

I'm considering 'dark earth for the canvas and seats.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Well the wind seems to be getting 'windier' - so we're off to ASDA shortly - I hope it may still calm down before it goes dark.

I wouldn't count on it Steve. My very own weather girl (Mrs N) tells me that we can expect a wet 'n' windy afternoon, but she has been known to be wrong.  I'm sorry for the small print, I just have to be sure that doesn't get to see that I sometimes doubt her forecasting abilities. :winkgrin:

Good progress so far though. I hope you can get some primer on soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I wouldn't count on it Steve. My very own weather girl (Mrs N) tells me that we can expect a wet 'n' windy afternoon, but she has been known to be wrong.  I'm sorry for the small print, I just have to be sure that doesn't get to see that I sometimes doubt her forecasting abilities. :winkgrin:

Good progress so far though. I hope you can get some primer on soon.

Well John - it's still blowing a gale in Saddleworth - so I think she's right & I'll duck out for the day.  To keep me occupied though I've decided the boot lid could be fixed before painting commences.

As I think a straight glue connection might be a bit 'weak' - a little 'L' section will hopefully help...

KUB068.jpg

KUB069.jpg

KUB070.jpg

KUB071.jpg

...it's setting now - so time to get tea ready - thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Where can I get a trained blue slug like that? It's coming along nicely. Pete

Morning Pete - unfortunately that trained blue slug has bit me in the boot.  I left him on too long and this is the resultant mess...

KUB073.jpg

I'm still trying to tidy it up as the weather is no better than yesterday.  As you can see from my nutty neighbour's flag...

KUB071A.jpg

...the wind has died down but the cloud is very low up here and there is a lot of dampness in the air.  I may have to resort to priming indoors - but Mrs X has a keen sense of smell and a foul temper when the mood takes her :cold: :lol:

• Haha 4

What's the most terrifying part of a kit to you???  What's the bit you keep avoiding - because you are sure it is going to ruin everything???

In this kit - for me at least - this innocuous little windscreen is giving me shivers...

KUB059.jpg

...once it's finally primed I may just bite the bullet - get it painted and varnished - then get the glazing in - so I can ignore it and enjoy the rest of the build.

• Like 5