1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Happy Saturday Folks - I hope everyone is keeping snug - it's still freezing up here & the wind is biting.

I've been out & done the shopping - so the weekend is now my own.  Time for a bit of a catch up.  I got a coat of gloss varnish on the other night - which has now thoroughly dried.

KUB133.jpg

So last night I got the decals on...

KUB134.jpg

KUB135.jpg

KUB136.jpg

KUB137.jpg

KUB138.jpg

Having just checked the decals - they all seem to have settled down OK - so I'm off to put a gloss coat over them.

I think I need to add some weathering to the wheels & lower chassis - but it will have to wait until  the latest gloss coat has dried.

Catch you later - Steve

• Like 11

On 12/02/2021 at 13:40, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve 

Doing a grand job on the Kubel. Keep meaning to pick one of these up along with the Schwimwagen but my head keeps getting turned by them darned Shermans! 😉

Regards,

Steve

20 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve,

Well fancy that.... an 11th AD Schwimmy! Will make a great addition to your 11th AD collection. 😉

Quite a fan of Combat Dealers myself, even though you know Bruce will always find 'exactly' what he wants in some French barn! 

Regards,

Steve

17 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Do it!! I did a Polish 1st Armoured Kubel and Schwimmwagen last year. Great fun and very therapeutic. 

Andy

OK boys - thanks to a little encouragement from @fatfingers & @Foxbat  I've just set up my next project...

I hope to finish the Kubel in the next few days & I want to keep the mojo going - so this seems a good choice.

:whistle: I'm still waiting for the varnish to dry - is it wine o'clock yet???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

is it wine o'clock yet???

It's always wine o'clock somewhere on the planet!

Kubel looking stunning, are you going to put it on a base?

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hamden said:

It's always wine o'clock somewhere on the planet!

Kubel looking stunning, are you going to put it on a base?

Hi Roger,

I'm far from thinking it deserves a base - more like the shelf - but I'll give it some thought.  Thanks for the encouragement - I'll have a look what I've got

Cheers - Steve

• Like 2

The varnish over the decals now seems dry - but it's a bit late to start applying washes - so - I've turned my attention back to this guy...

KUB093.jpg

he's been sat waiting patiently in a tub for 12 months now - so I've fished him out & given him a lick or two of paint...

KUB139.jpg

I can now see some seams that I can't see with the naked (failing eyes) - but hey ho - he needs a hat - back soon...

Steve

• Like 3

I've been shaking & shaking the Flory Sand trying to get it to mix.  I had a go at the tyre treads - just to create a bit of dirt in them.  Following this I gave up & poured some into the airbrush & simply gave the whole thing a 'light dusting'.  I'm just waiting on it drying & setting - so here is the 'wet look'...

KUB144.jpg

KUB145.jpg

KUB146.jpg

KUB147.jpg

:fingerscrossed: fingers crossed it settles down OK or I'll be in for a lot of wiping down. 

• Like 6

OK - it's dry...

KUB148.jpg

KUB149.jpg

KUB150.jpg

KUB151.jpg

A coat of matt varnish over the top will kill the effect down some more & re-instate more of a bluish hue - we hope.  Anyway we are close to the finish line now.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, badger said:

Great job so far - nice and dusty as suits a Normandy summer!

OOH - the matt coat has just gone on & it's drying nicely - got to let it dry properly though - but it's looking 'subtle' ;)

Steve

• Like 3

The Matt coat has now set & I'm pretty pleased with the ultra subtle weathering - well it looks ultra subtle with my eyesight - you be the judge :whistle:

KUB154.jpg

KUB152.jpg

KUB155.jpg

KUB153.jpg

• Like 8

I forgot - the driver got a very light black wash & a coat of matt too...

KUB156.jpg

KUB157.jpg

...it looks like my phone has developed the same eyesight problem I have :lol:

• Like 6

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Nice progress Steve, you really got back into this one, keep it up!

5 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Looking good mate! 👍

3 hours ago, badger said:

Great job so far - nice and dusty as suits a Normandy summer!

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Not only back, but back with a BANG. Fantastic job Steve, you have made a lot of progress since I last checked in. Well done mate.

28 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That is a fantastic result Steve, the matt coat has toned things down nicely.

Hey Guys - thanks for all the support - I'm feeling good with things - but your positive vibes are helping a great deal - just need to drag it over the line now.

Steve

• Like 2

On 15/02/2021 at 09:13, Hamden said:

Love the results you're getting with this, definitely needs a base to show it off!

Happy Friday Folks,

After a bit of gentle "baiting" from @Hamden We have a very basic base - made from 15mm MDF - bevelled & painted black.

KUB160.jpg

This has been topped with an "artistically" shaped slab of milliput - painted dark earth / covered with a bit of grass scatter & featuring a pair of tyre tracks.

• Like 6

Now the driver won't fit in with the steering wheel in place - so getting him in & getting the steering wheel on is "almost" the last job...

KUB159.jpg

...apart from getting the windscreen on of course...

KUB158.jpg

...nearly there now :fingerscrossed: Steve

• Like 3

Sorry to hear you driver is resisting your attempts to place him in his place of work, I'm sure you will overcome his attempt at mutiny!

Base looks really good and will make all the difference to the finished Kubel display

Stay safe          Roger 

• Like 1

OK - I think I'm calling this one finished.  It's only taken a year - a year I won't get back - but the kind of year none of us want to see again to be fair.

Here's a few snaps...

KUB161.jpg

KUB162.jpg

KUB163.jpg

KUB164.jpg

• Like 9

Nice detail on this. When I first saw your kubelwagon I thought I recalled building one of these years ago but the version I built did not have the detail yours has. Like the subtle weathering too.👍

• Thanks 1