1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Great to see you back mate!!!

Your Birthday Eagle build has cheered me up no end - I thought - time to get back on the horse :hobbyhorse: Hi Ho Silver - Away!!!

• Like 4

Right - back to the front bumper.  I've micro sawed out 2 slots to try & make a new front tow bar type thing...

KUB101.jpg

But it hasn't worked - so I've sanded the underside back to the plastic to add add slats from the underside...

KUB102.jpg

...it's not going to be pretty - but it is going to be STURDY.  I've also fround some 'C' section to form the bumper...

KUB103.jpg

...right time for tea & some plastic setting (Liverpool 0 - 1 Man City) :thumbsup:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

so I'm going to pull the Kubelwagen back out of the box

Woohoo! That has made my weekend. I hate to say I told you so. So I won't. But I am so glad to see you back here.

Regards, Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK - braising steak / onions / mash / cauliflower / broccoli & GRAVY of course - well tasty - but I'm now avoiding all the washing up :lol:

SWMBO is questioning why I need to be sending IMPORTANT work emails at 6:30 on a Sunday evening ;)

So time for a crafty update on the bumper....

KUB105.jpg

The bumper is on & square - but you guessed it - I've broke the gear stick :doh:

I'm not going to let that stop me know though - I've got spares on the bench 'somewhere".

BTW - Liverpool 1 - 4 Man City - I must record MOTD - what a great day!!!

• Like 7

Good to see you back. The old place hasn't been the same without you. Straight in with the big arrows in your pictures too, it's brought a warm glow 😄

Andy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Good to see you and this one making a return Steve, and the bumper is going to look fine once you have got it all painted up again. 

Cheers

John

Thanks John

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see you back with this one

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger

11 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Good to see you back. The old place hasn't been the same without you. Straight in with the big arrows in your pictures too, it's brought a warm glow 😄

Andy

Thanks Andy - you can't beat a flippin big arrow to point out your mistakes :lol:

6 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

yup; i was afraid that gas tank was going to languish in styrene heaven!

I don't know about styrene heaven - more like styrene limbo - still I'm back at it now.

Thanks for all the support guys - it feels good to be back at the desk.

Steve

• Like 4

Aye up Steve.

Great to see you back at the bench mate. Always enjoy your entertaining build threads and have to say i've missed em! 

Onwards and upwards old chap 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

After tea last night I was able to paint the new front bumper - as the main body was already primed & painted I didn't want to get into masking - as I only use a humbrol can for priming - so I've just painted the bumper "in the raw" - I hope it sticks :fingerscrossed: fingers crossed...

Here's the results...

KUB107.jpg

KUB108.jpg

It's nothing like the "real thing" - so we need a plausible "back story".  It's a lot more "butch" - any ideas that I can use as an excuse??? :popcorn: I await suitable back stories ;)

Steve

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I await suitable back stories ;)

"In the field" repairs after an accident caused by consuming too much schnapps, a sharp bend in the road and a French badger?

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, badger said:

"In the field" repairs after an accident caused by consuming too much schnapps, a sharp bend in the road and a French badger?

Sounds like a cool story to me - those French Badgers are tough mother hubards :lol:

SO - the new bumper system was installed to combat suicide french badger groups - which were part of the resistance movement & were taking out light vehicles all across Normandy in covert operations just before D-Day.  Heroes one & all !!! 🇫🇷

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In other news - I fortunately placed the bumper supports at just the right distance to allow the under tray to still fit...

KUB109.jpg

...and if I'm honest - that was more luck than judgement. :doh: 12 months is a long time to be away & I'm learning all over again (newbie again).

• Like 7

With regards to the broken gear stick - I had made several from my Opel build...

KUB106.jpg

...which have again been sat on the bench in a blu-tak blob for over year now.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

SO - the new bumper system was installed to combat suicide french badger groups - which were part of the resistance movement & were taking out light vehicles all across Normandy in covert operations just before D-Day.  Heroes one & all !!! 🇫🇷

French badgers with IED's, sounds like a plot line from 'Allo Allo'. :rofl:

Bumper looks good to me.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

French badgers with IED's, sounds like a plot line from 'Allo Allo'. :rofl:

Bumper looks good to me.

Having watched a documentary on Sky - it may be possible that they were actually English badgers - that were dropped in by the SOE.  They were taught to speak fluent French & wore berets & carried strings of onions on their bikes - to "blend in" with the local badger population :lol:

• Haha 5

Tonight's main job is to add some texture to the seats...

KUB111.jpg

The Flory wash also seems the worse for wear after 12 months "just sat there".  Do I need to bin all my paints / washes & buy in new stuff?  They all have MIG metal balls in & all have had a really good agitation session - but the wood paint was very "thin" & the Flory has gone very "thick"???

• Like 2

Flory wash I know nothing of. Descendants of the suicide Badgers can be seen to this day at the side of British roads. It's about time they learned.

Anyway. The front bumper looks great. So why was it changed? Is the vehicle from an engineer company? Wrap towing cable around it and

fill the back seat with tool boxes. Or, put a stowage cage on it to carry jerry cans or stores. Or, even better, Anti Badger Chickens.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Sounds like a cool story to me - those French Badgers are tough mother hubards :lol:

Never underestimate a badger! A passing acquaintance once had his new saab convertible written off many years ago by hitting a badger at 60mph. Smashed all the front of the car in and fired off the airbags!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, badger said:

Never underestimate a badger! A passing acquaintance once had his new saab convertible written off many years ago by hitting a badger at 60mph. Smashed all the front of the car in and fired off the airbags!

OUCH!!!  I had three Saabs in my "company car" days - absolutely amazing motors - but against a determined suicide badger from an SAS death squad - no one stands a chance - God bless the badgers - especially our own @badger

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Flory wash I know nothing of. Descendants of the suicide Badgers can be seen to this day at the side of British roads. It's about time they learned.

Anyway. The front bumper looks great. So why was it changed? Is the vehicle from an engineer company? Wrap towing cable around it and

fill the back seat with tool boxes. Or, put a stowage cage on it to carry jerry cans or stores. Or, even better, Anti Badger Chickens.

Ah yes - all those badgers you see "sleeping" on the central reservation - tough cookies.

The reason for the upgraded bumper was simply to try & "deflect" kamikaze badgers who leapt from the hedgerows - in an attempt to take out the Nazis in their Kubelwagens & protect the allied advance.

Brave boys - wearing their invasion stripes of course...

badger_DirkFreder_istock_623-883b57c.jpg

God luv 'em - Heroes!!!!

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

The Flory wash also seems the worse for wear after 12 months "just sat there".  Do I need to bin all my paints / washes & buy in new stuff?  They all have MIG metal balls in & all have had a really good agitation session - but the wood paint was very "thin" & the Flory has gone very "thick"???

hmm, assuming water based, try warming them up,  leave them on a radiator before shaking.   If they are water based, and don't have metal balls, a few secs in the microwave will warm them.

if you have a load of paint, you may want to invest in a nail varnish or paint shaker,  between £20-30 on ebay, for example.   

Being a stinge, I have been meaning to try some Heath Robinson contraption involving gaffa tape, a bit of pipe and pendulum jigsaw,  though this has failed as I can't remember where my jigsaw is,  but anything that will give it a really really hard shake or agitate should do the trick.

Affix paint in suitable container (bit of pipe)  to jigsaw blade, or better, something that will fit in blade slot, make sure it can't fly off (gaffa tape) turn on and this should give a rather good shake.

Not tried it, (though i did recently eliminate one jigsaw hiding place)   this is my 'theory' which may turn out to be complete cobblers.....   

This is 'hobby paint shaker'  which look just like the nail varnish ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Mixer-Shaker-battery-mains-powered-Airbrush-model-TiModel/353286781624

"Using the paint shaker is easy. Simply place your jar, tin or bottle of paint (up to 35mm in diameter) into the cradle on the top of the machine, secure the elasticated strap over your paint container and switch on the machine. The paint shaker does all of the hard work for you by thoroughly shaking your paint until it is completely blended, the shaker should take between 20 and 30 seconds to complete its task depending on the paint. Once mixed, remove your paint from the shaker and you’re good to go, no fuss, no mess and no hard work involved. The paint shaker can even tackle older paints that have completely separated, as long as they have not dried out just give them a longer shake on the machine and your paint can still be used when you may have previously considered throwing them away!"

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

hmm, assuming water based, try warming them up,  leave them on a radiator before shaking.   If they are water based, and don't have metal balls, a few secs in the microwave will warm them.

if you have a load of paint, you may want to invest in a nail varnish or paint shaker,  between £20-30 on ebay, for example.   

Being a stinge, I have been meaning to try some Heath Robinson contraption involving gaffa tape, a bit of pipe and pendulum jigsaw,  though this has failed as I can't remember where my jigsaw is,  but anything that will give it a really really hard shake or agitate should do the trick.

Affix paint in suitable container (bit of pipe)  to jigsaw blade, or better, something that will fit in blade slot, make sure it can't fly off (gaffa tape) turn on and this should give a rather good shake.

Not tried it, (though i did recently eliminate one jigsaw hiding place)   this is my 'theory' which may turn out to be complete cobblers.....   

This is 'hobby paint shaker'  which look just like the nail varnish ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Mixer-Shaker-battery-mains-powered-Airbrush-model-TiModel/353286781624

"Using the paint shaker is easy. Simply place your jar, tin or bottle of paint (up to 35mm in diameter) into the cradle on the top of the machine, secure the elasticated strap over your paint container and switch on the machine. The paint shaker does all of the hard work for you by thoroughly shaking your paint until it is completely blended, the shaker should take between 20 and 30 seconds to complete its task depending on the paint. Once mixed, remove your paint from the shaker and you’re good to go, no fuss, no mess and no hard work involved. The paint shaker can even tackle older paints that have completely separated, as long as they have not dried out just give them a longer shake on the machine and your paint can still be used when you may have previously considered throwing them away!"

HTH

Thanks for the link Troy.  I actually had one of these - but it died after a couple of years.  It was great when it was new - but kind of lost it's umph as it went along.

• Like 2