1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

This little adventure started on Boxing day, when @Brad worked wonders in the Christmas ‘Blitzenbuild’ – with his Tamiya Volkswagen Kübelwagen.  I was so impressed with the result I shamelessly decided to copy his lead and have a go myself.  I’m sure it isn’t as easy as he made it look, but nothing ventured – nothing gained as they say.  Now – if it’s OK with everyone I’m going to drop the umlaut (ü) from here on in – as I struggle with the windows ‘character map’ at the best of times.

Anyway - after a bit of trawling round the tinterwebs I found the kit on Amazon for a nice price and then it recommended I order an engine for it too.  This brought to mind the MiniArt 1/35 Soviet 1.5 ton cargo truck that @JeroenS recently completed.  I was seriously impressed by the engine on this kit and the fantastic job that Jeroen did on it.  I recently finished an Opel Blitz and was quite disappointed that it didn’t have an engine – just a huge void under the bonnet – so I took the plunge and ordered the engine too.

I know very little about cars in general & absolutely nothing about Kubelwagens in particular – so more searching yielded a Haynes manual of all things – so that got ordered too.

They all arrived on the same day & I’ve been itching to make a start ever since – so enough of the waffle – here are the usual ‘boxes & bits’ shots…

The main kit...

KUB001.jpg

...apart from this scheme there are a couple of other options...

KUB002.jpg

KUB003.jpg

Here's the information for explaining what the schemes portray...

KUB004.jpg

KUB005.jpg

KUB006.jpg

I'm undecided as yet which scheme to go for - maybe Tricolour to match my King Tiger or German Grey to compliment the Opel Blitz - it needs a bit of pondering.

• Like 10

Oh yes! I’m following this for sure. I’ve always wanted to have a go at one of these, probably my favourite vehicle that doesn’t fly from WWII. I think either scheme would be cracking...you could always build the other scheme later after you see how you go with this one? 

• Thanks 1

I've decided to include the 'steps' as I may need to refer to them later...

KUB007.jpg

KUB008.jpg

KUB009.jpg

KUB010.jpg

KUB011.jpg

KUB012.jpg

KUB013.jpg

KUB014.jpg

KUB015.jpg

KUB016.jpg

KUB017.jpg

KUB018.jpg

KUB019.jpg

KUB020.jpg

If anyone is aware of any 'tricky bits' - please feel free to save my bottom - I'm not proud - I'll take all the help I can get :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...and here are the bits in the box...

Topside of the main body...

KUB021.jpg

The oval things are to hold the butts of 4 rifles and the slats at the front are just that - wooded slats - I was considering scratch building them - but they are here already - so I'll go with what I've got.  Here is the underside...

KUB022.jpg

The base of the chassis was in fact a pressed piece of metal - for lightness and speed of production - the arch or 'backbone' along the centre served to add rigidity.  I only 'sound' like I know what I'm talking about from reading the Haynes manual yesterday.

Here is one of 2 main sprues - top & bottom...

KUB023.jpg

KUB024.jpg

The dashboard panel has a lot of detail...

KUB025.jpg

...now sadly I thought there would be a decal for it - but there isn't...

KUB028.jpg

So I guess I'm going to have to find something that looks appropriate from here...

KUB026.jpg

KUB027.jpg

I just hope something fits.  Here is the second sprue...

KUB029.jpg

KUB030.jpg

I'm a bit concerned by the injector marks on the insides of the doors...

KUB031.jpg

I don't know whether to sand them out or try filling them - or both...

The windscreen is rather 'flimsy' too...

KUB032.jpg

The instructions say to cut it out with a pair of scissors - but it looks like it might 'pop out' - does anyone know???

• Like 4

The Engine came with a whole host of 'goodies'...

KUB033.jpg

KUB034.jpg

KUB035.jpg

KUB036.jpg

The toolbox alone is 8 separate parts - a bit 'daunting' to say the least - I guess we will have to see how the build goes before I make any hard & fast decisions.  The instructions are concise - but it would have been nice to get a bigger picture of the engine itself (though there are some in the Haynes Manual)...

KUB037.jpg

KUB038.jpg

...and here are the sprues...

KUB039.jpg

KUB040.jpg

...it's always exciting to start a new build - I hope the mojo stays intact.

Now - I actually need to go and 'do something' - thanks for looking in - Steve.

• Like 6

For tea tonight it's...

KUB041.jpg

...don't panic - they will be served with loads of salad - I promise.  But the reason I give them a mention is you get these in the pack...

KUB042.jpg

...sharpened skewers that we don't use - but very handy for supporting modelling bits.  That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it :lol:

However - more worrying is the fact that my consumption of these is much higher than my modelling output....

KUB043.jpg

OOPS!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

but it would have been nice to get a bigger picture of the engine itself (though there are some in the Haynes Manual)...

O, but the internet knows all about this engine! Lots of pics there... I'm following this one, should be good!

• Thanks 1

Sorry but I've got a bit diverted - as the team of 'my blood' are playing on SKY

I'm not hedging my bets 'too much' - but it's nearly half time and we are 'battering' Aston Villa....

@Avereda is certainly on the edge of his seat too...

C'mon City!!!

7 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

they're expired, man . . . .

Don't panic mate - I'm a very big & sturdy unit - it would take more than that to knock me down ;)

Kofta. I'm in! Oh, there's a model?

Looking at the box art, it seems you have semaphore indicators mounted up by the windscreen. There was a question about these with Robert Jan and the Blitz.

I've never noticed them before on wartime vehicles. 

And, it looks like you only get the top part of the engine to match the already moulded in bottom half. Saves cutting the floorpan I suppose.

Good luck, Steve, I'll follow along and help if I can.

• Thanks 1

Nice one, it seems I started you down a rabbit hole lol. As for the windscreen, a nice sharp xacto blade will cutit free, it's only held by the little tabs on the sides. It's very thin so be careful not to slip.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking at the box art, it seems you have semaphore indicators mounted up by the windscreen. There was a question about these with Robert Jan and the Blitz.

I've never noticed them before on wartime vehicles. 

And, it looks like you only get the top part of the engine to match the already moulded in bottom half. Saves cutting the floorpan I suppose.

Good luck, Steve, I'll follow along and help if I can.

Hi Pete,  They had me foxed at first - as they are totally lacking in definition when compared to the real thing...

INDICATOR2.jpg

The Haynes manual says they were sometimes used on wartime vehicles - but not all the time - so I may well chop them off and claim they were knocked off in a skirmish ;)

Steve

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

I do not imagine turn-indicating was a high priority in the Reich.

...or indeed in the narrow lanes of the bocage :hobbyhorse:

• Like 1

Another Big X build to look forward too. I note the instructions show three colour schemes, but the decal sheet has 5 with one of the 'spares' being a Luftwaffe vehicle. If it was me, I'd do a fairly clean grey one with the Luftwaffe plates, maybe splash a little green or sand paint over where unit markings might have been and add the divisional signs to match your King Tiger. Voila, a car 'liberated' from an airfield where the flying staff were strategically relocating back behind the front line and impressed into service with minimal signs of new ownership. 

Andy

Overthinking again

• Thanks 1