After a lot of help from fellow modellers on this site through this thread 

I now have enough information to at least start a build. In fact I am going to build two AV-8C's, One as a normal service machine and the other as 719 operated by NASA

So let's post an out of focus picture so show what I am starting with

49372935737_028c1857f9.jpg

Hopefully some progress pictures later today, mayby not as I am not the fastest builder in the world

Gondor

Edited by Gondor44
Spelling Mistake
  • Like 5

Ha, you've beaten me to it. I was going to post progress of a dual Harrier build myself; one a Hasagewa Av8 / GR1 and the other an Airfix GR1.

I won't do it now and  will watch your's instead 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timmas said:

Ha, you've beaten me to it. I was going to post progress of a dual Harrier build myself; one a Hasagewa Av8 / GR1 and the other an Airfix GR1.

I won't do it now and  will watch your's instead 😉

Ah, mine are both exactly the same other than the colour scheme and yors are by two different kit manufacturers so please go ahead with yours.

As far as the build goes, the various parts that make up the intakes have been glued together as well as the back of the cockpit haveing been glued to the main cockpit tub. As I said, not much progress but it is something.

One of the biggest problems I will have is the decals for 719 as the only set I know of is out of print, however there is plenty of time between now and Telford

Gondor

• Like 1

Pictures tomorrow but so far I have put the cockpit parts together, the parts for the wings have been glued together and the min undercarriage/air break has been added to one of the fuselage.

The left and right air intake parts which according to the instructions are to be fitted into each fuselage half, have been fitted together prior to fitting into the fuselage as I am more used to fitting the intake trunking this way.

No painting so far, hopefully a little later this week the hairy stick will come out to play.

Gondor

As promisedhere are some pictures of my progres so far

First off is a picture of the assembled internals

49391019422_9a5d955561.jpg

The four fuselage halfs

49390347163_0fcf4cbf3b.jpg

The two wings showing both top surfaces and then one top side and the underside of the other wing

49390347048_2404516ac9.jpg

49390347268_dc343833e1.jpg

Some painting tomorrow I hope. White for the intake trunking for 179 I think and Humbrol 164 for the other aircraft

GOndor

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, neil5208 said:

Just for you info when you join the wings to the fuselage there's a bit of a gap, I put a strip of 0.5mm plastic card in and it fills the gap better than filler.

Thanks for the info, just one question about that, are you talking about where underside of the wing meets the fulesage as opposed the front or rear ends of the wings where it is transvers to the fuselage?

Painting has started on the interior parts and intakes, one coat today and a second coat tomorrow as I use enammels.

Gondor

Second coat of paint applied to the intake trunking and cockpit, now the paint coverage looks good rather than oily and thin as it did after one coat. The First Stage Compressor blades have been painted for both aircraft as well. The paint I used for them was a different brand to the other paint used so far and had no problems with density or adhesion.

Gondor

• Like 1

Not a huge amount of work carried out over the weekend. The kit's decals have been added to the cockpit componants and information reviewed for the air dam behind the nose undercarriage bay.

After looking at one of My Hasegawa AV-8B kits to see how they have portrayed the Air Dam and looking at pictures from various walk-rounds I have come to the conclution that as the C was an upgraded A then the Air Dam was added onto not into the airframe as that would be far simpler than haveing to recess it into the area behind the nose wheel bay, that's a lot of strutural work!

So consequently I will be adding the Air Dam to the Marine C in the lowered position along with the main flaps being lowered, so not a totally wasted weekend.

One other thing I am haveing difficuty with is locating a set of 1/72 decals for NASA 719, can anyone help?

Gondor

This will be on hold for a week at least as I have decided to order resin interiors for the cockpits. I will be swapping the wings for the operational aircraft with those from another set from the stash so I can drop the flaps, far easier to do when several parts rather than once I have glued the wings together

Gondor

Arrived today for this project from the big yellow H

2 x CMK/Cxeck Kaster Kits BAe Harrier GR.1 cockpits

2 x Plava Stencel S-III-S Ejector seats

2 x Master Harrier Pittot Tubes

I also swapped one set of assembled wings for an unacembled wing

Gondor

Today Pavla sets for the flaps of an F/A.2 and a set of Harrier GR.1/3 exhausts arrived and have been washed. I hope to get all the parts primed in the near future then I can get on with these builds.

GOndor

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Looking forward to your continued progress with all these new goodies.

As am I. Hopefully I will get to spray some primer on most of the parts, weather permitting as I have to spray outside. The Control surfaces were wrongly bagged and/or identified by the manufacturer so I may just wing dropping the flaps. I also have to decide on the load out for the operational C, thinking of tanks and rockets with the tanks possibly comming from the Airfix A-4 kit.

Gondor

• Like 1

Managed to get a little don’t tonight after picking up a package from the local postal sorting office which contained a pack of Evergreen 218 0.020" Rod to use as the ECM bumps.

I also took a chance with the dry but cold weather here, by spraying primer onto the cockpit parts. As I use a rattle can and also don't have a spray booth of any kind set up in my flat it's a matter of standing outside and using a can of Halfords Grey Primer while everything is fitted to an old EPROM chip holder by lengths of masking tape folded to become double sided tape. I lost one set of side walls as soon as I stepped outside...... :oops:

Back inside for a torch and at least five minutes later I found the part and repositioned it on the tape.

Looking at the results I think I got away with using the primer outside at around 0oC and spraying Grey onto Grey resin, my white primer is almost out and I didn't want to run out part way through using it. Hope to get further over the weekend

Gondor

Edited by Gondor44
Spelling Mistake

Other things have taken precedence at the moment, such as sorting out my stash, cataloguing said stash and relocating part of it into the lost as deep storage. This is quite a task and will involve creating a complete database of my stash, so I know exactly what is where and what I intend to do with it, as least for quite a bit of it anyway.

The theory is that this will allow me to have in the modelling room only things I am working on and imminent builds. This could take some time to organise and will hopefully be done with the help of my new fiancé. I do hope to make some progress from time to time.

I did get the 0.02" rod for the ECM bumps, measured the diameter from a Hasegawa AV-8B kit, so other than decals for the NASA bird I have everything that I can think of at the moment for the build.

Gondor