This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Seahawk

Happy Easter!

Saw Tesco setting up the Easter egg display Fri 10 Jan.  Is this a record?

Nope. Morrisons had them before NYD, and of course Hot Cross Buns.

22 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

In mid November, I went to our local Morrisons and bought a pack of hot cross buns and a box of Mince pies to celebrate both holidays in one go.

I used to drive for Tesco's,we delivered Easter eggs on Boxing day.

Dave.

41 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Saw Tesco setting up the Easter egg display Fri 10 Jan.  Is this a record?

My local Tesco Express  in Manchester had an Easter display put up by the checkout the day before new years eve.

Caused a lot of comment in the queue!

Selwyn

12 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

My local Tesco Express  in Manchester had an Easter display put up by the checkout the day before new years eve.

Caused a lot of comment in the queue!

Selwyn

I'm pretty sure that was common policy across Tesco.

I have a feeling you can get Cadbury creme eggs all year round now.

And Easter is late this year, w/e 12th  April!

I’ve been eating hot cross buns all year! Mini eggs appeared in our local store by November. 

Trevor

Ha! I remember M&S having large posters hanging from the ceiling declaring "Don't forget Easter is 14 April" - this was the middle of January and you'd have to be a boffoon to forget it with such a constant early reminder.

No wonder we all feel the pace of life is increasing with Christmas being shoved down our throats just after summer, Easter being forced on us just after christmas and summer holidays being offered now.

Just remembered seeing TUI offering holidays for 2021 a few weeks ago...

Hurry up!! Hurry up!!

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Last year, I think in early September I was strolling still in summer holiday mood, through a shopping centre past a shop where a couple of palettes of goods had just been delivered. The shop assistant was checking them when a passerby commented. She replied 'Yes this is the Christmas stock.'

That's four months in advance. 

I have a feeling crème eggs and hot cross buns are now considered non-seasonal but this was a whole aisle devoted to Easter eggs.  Whatever happened to St Valentine's Day as the first post-Christmas excuse to sell minuscule amounts of chocolate at scandalously inflated prices?

As a kid what I hated were the ‘back to school’ displays of uniforms in high street stores, which were put up as soon as the summer holidays began.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I have a feeling crème eggs and hot cross buns are now considered non-seasonal but this was a whole aisle devoted to Easter eggs.  Whatever happened to St Valentine's Day as the first post-Christmas excuse to sell minuscule amounts of chocolate at scandalously inflated prices?

Over here creme eggs are on sale until Easter from the start of the year and that's it but what really peeves me is they sell plastic tubs of Roses/Celebrations etc until the second of January then you can only buy the boxes,what is the flippin' difference (apart from profit)...

7 hours ago, 593jones said:

I'll still end up buying presents on Christmas Eve!

I often do a bit of shopping on Christmas eve. I'd head into the city centre. The crowds were less and everyone is in a good mood. Both the shoppers and the shop staff. 

A great atmosphere. I did it last year again. Got a bargain as well. 

Unless it's after 2:00 P.M. (14:00) @noelh then those who have imbibed a little (too much) of the falling down water come out and for some reason think their hilarious!

Paul

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Unless it's after 2:00 P.M. (14:00) @noelh then those who have imbibed a little (too much) of the falling down water come out and for some reason think their hilarious!

Paul

Yep you need to be out of town by 4pm at the latest. 

17 hours ago, noelh said:

I often do a bit of shopping on Christmas eve. I'd head into the city centre. The crowds were less and everyone is in a good mood. Both the shoppers and the shop staff. 

A great atmosphere. I did it last year again. Got a bargain as well. 

Go into Barnsley on Chirstmas Eve and the place is packed, mostly with drunks.  Really adds to the atmosphere   :)

Actually where I live the pubs close around 6pm on Christmas Eve. Very surprised at that. 

@noelh simples! Two word answer................LOCK IN! Plus you'll always know where to find the Garda :whistle:

The simple answer every year to this is that if these eggs (or any other seasonal food for that matter) wasn't bought from the New Year the retailers would soon stop selling these eggs so early, to be honest working in retail I get tired with the usual comment "ooohh, so early" et al thinking they're the 1st ones to mention it...... 

They soon sell and in quite a quantity too

I like hot cross buns so that's good. Only buy easter eggs after easter though cos the shops dump price them.....hey, a dollar saved in a dollar earned!

On 1/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

We had hot cross buns on sale three days after Christmas in the major supermarkets.