Norwegian Thunder

REPUBLIC F-84G THUNDERJET, Royal Norwegian Air Force, 1956.

51-11113, EOS. Personal aircraft of Fighter Wing Rygge's Commander Eigil O. Stigseth.

Kit: Tamiya Republic F-84G Thunderjet (60745)

Scale: 1/72

Aftermarket: Vingtor decals (72-119)

Paints: Vallejo Model Air & Vallejo Metal Color

Weathering: Flory Models Wash, MIG Streaking Effects, Vallejo Weathering Effects

Build thread:

Delightful kit all around. Aftermarket decals gave me bit of a struggle but came out OK in the end.

Hope you like it - comments & feedback welcomed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks fantastic. Love the change in colour for the tail end.

Stuart.

Thanks! Vallejo Dull Aluminium. According to the Vingtor decal sheet, it was painted aluminium rather than natural metal finish. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, reini said:

According to the Vingtor decal sheet, it was painted aluminium rather than natural metal finish. 

Actually not the complete rear section, but rather the lower part of it. Standard on all F-84Gs.

Nils

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vingtor said:

Actually not the complete rear section, but rather the lower part of it. Standard on all F-84Gs.

Nils

Thanks for the clarification! Did the painted area follow the panel line on the side of the rear fuselage?

Not always easy to see on photos. But these might give a clue:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo_9999_254691.jpg

https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/2022608/LMU_NL_05060150.html

There were of course variations, and some aircraft might have had the full aft section painted.

Nils

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Not always easy to see on photos. But these might give a clue:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo_9999_254691.jpg

https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/2022608/LMU_NL_05060150.html

There were of course variations, and some aircraft might have had the full aft section painted.

Nils

Thanks - now looking the decal sheet instructions more closely, that same line is actually visible there too :) 

Gorgeous little jet Reini, very nice finish! I have a soft spot for Norwegian stuff as my great grandfather was from Norway :)

23 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I recall the Norwegian F-84s featuring in a Leif Hamre (?) book I read as a kid,

Was that 'Otter 32 Calling' Steve? I remember enjoying that book as a kid, but don't really recall any details of it! Have to see if I can find a copy!

Keith

• Like 1

Otter 32 Calling was his first one Keith, a favourite of mine too, I'd like to do a Norwegian Otter as well. The Thunderjet one was "Blue Two Bale Out", I don't recall the story as well as the earlier one but have a copy some where at home & always think I should dig it out when I see a beaut build like Reini's. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The Thunderjet one was "Blue Two Bale Out", I don't recall the story as well as the earlier one but have a copy some where at home & always think I should dig it out when I see a beaut build like Reini's. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve!

I have read that book as a kid too, it was translated to finnish. It was called 'Hyppää, Petter!'. I think I read other Leif Hamre books too - they had nice cover artwork that caught my attention as a kid.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, reini said:

Thanks - now looking the decal sheet instructions more closely, that same line is actually visible there too :) 

It should have been more clear on the instructions. It shows better on the drawings on my computer screen, but not as well as when printed on paper. 🤔

• Like 1