A Pair of Bulgarian Shchuka – R-2 and D-5 ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This is going to be one of my favorites Ray. 

Thanks Greg, I hope they're worthy.

They're both getting very close - masts, aerial wire, gunsights and the usual, fix a couple of things. Nothing major.

The Airfix R-2 - I really like the improvement in the look of the oil cooler inlet and outlet.

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_39

I spent a lot of time with the Airfix canopy set. I was not happy with the sort of bulbous look of the individual panes. Redid the masking and painting with my own masking, ditched the original masking with the Eduard masks to make the framing wider to try to improve the look. Really still not totally happy but it will have to do. Yes you will get a better job using the full centre canopy section and closing up the cockpit. From this angle it looks OK and certainly alright if not using a magnifying glass. By the way, I love those Master's gun barrels. 

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_40

Also, spending time on the little things ...

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_41

I hope to have them finished tomorrow, all going well.

Cheers,

Ray 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Greg, I hope they're worthy.

They're both getting very close - masts, aerial wire, gunsights and the usual, fix a couple of things. Nothing major.

The Airfix R-2 - I really like the improvement in the look of the oil cooler inlet and outlet.

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_39

I spent a lot of time with the Airfix canopy set. I was not happy with the sort of bulbous look of the individual panes. Redid the masking and painting with my own masking, ditched the original masking with the Eduard masks to make the framing wider to try to improve the look. Really still not totally happy but it will have to do. Yes you will get a better job using the full centre canopy section and closing up the cockpit. From this angle it looks OK and certainly alright if not using a magnifying glass. By the way, I love those Master's gun barrels. 

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_40

Also, spending time on the little things ...

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_41

I hope to have them finished tomorrow, all going well.

Cheers,

Ray 

Looking good Ray I agree about  master's barrels I use them all the time. Nick. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Superb work on your Stukas Ray.

They look really different with those markings.

Great work 👍

Cheers Greg🍺

Thanks Greg, should be posting "Finished" real soon.

• Like 1

I’m calling them done!

A most enjoyable STGB with great support from the BM members. It started as a simple use the Airfix 1/48 B-1 from the stash, then morphed into Bulgarian markings, then it must be an R-2 and then added a D-5 to cover all Ju-87 types used  by the Royal Bulgarian Air Force coupled with a challenging Italeri build and great fun comparing the Airfix and Italeri renditions. Interesting stuff.

I’ll take some pictures for the gallery when I have better light. In the meantime, here are some photos of the completed builds. Trust you enjoy.

First the 1/48 Airfix R-2 representing White 2 in the Autumn 1943. Not long after its delivery probably reconditioned for such late war supply. I reshaped the oil cooler inlet and outlet. The rest is pretty much OOB with some etch and Master’s barrel and Kora decals. Only artistic licence was the underwing yellow theatre markings and the white spinner, in the Bulgarian style, for a White Flight.

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_44

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_45

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_48

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_47

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_43

Second was the 1/48 Italeri D-5. I did a fair bit of work on this one. Nose reshaped and shortened, firewall moved forward, fuselage shortened, rudder widened, used an Airfix prop to make a VS-111 and replaced the aileron and flaps with the Airfix spare from the Berta boxing and then lengthened for the Dora. Some etch and cut my own masks by hand for the markings. The aircraft represents White 17 in the Autumn of 1944. An intense combat period for the Bulgarian D-5’s with Bulgaria now on the Allied side and participating in attacking German forces in Yugoslavia and their retreat from Greece. Hence the change to white wing tips and fuselage band.

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_108

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_110

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_111

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_109

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_107

Now it's a matter of what to do next. Well first thing is to replace that aileron mass balance I knocked off then "In the Navy". Maybe.

Cheers,
Ray

• Like 8

• Ray_W changed the title to A Pair of Bulgarian Shchuka – R-2 and D-5 ***FINISHED***

One photo I thought I should add as the theme of my build was "A Pair of Shchuka" is this a pair of Shchuka:

Stuka_Bulgarian_Pair

• Like 7

Very well done Ray, what a fantastic pair of Stukas!

The work you have done on the Italeri Dora is brilliant and has given you a model much closer to the real thing than my OOTB build.

I also like seeing subjects finished in the markings of operators that aren't normally built and that makes a build with 2 Bulgarian aircraft even better.

This has also been one of the most technically descriptive builds I have followed and shows the wealth of knowledge of our fellow BM'ers have and are always willing to share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very well done Ray, what a fantastic pair of Stukas!

The work you have done on the Italeri Dora is brilliant and has given you a model much closer to the real thing than my OOTB build.

I also like seeing subjects finished in the markings of operators that aren't normally built and that makes a build with 2 Bulgarian aircraft even better.

This has also been one of the most technically descriptive builds I have followed and shows the wealth of knowledge of our fellow BM'ers have and are always willing to share.

Thanks Craig. The results were very satisfying and I am really happy with the look of the Dora. It certainly got my interest in aircraft operated by Bulgaria and it provides good opportunities to model German types for those who like the aircraft but maybe not with that fin marking. I'm glad there was some value in the build. It's what I also like about BM. There is a wealth of knowledge and preparedness to share. We are all always learning and the research side is a big part of the fun, for me, in this hobby, followed by the challenge of execution. 

13 minutes ago, Niknak said:

An impressive build and result Ray. I have enjoyed following along with your build.. Thanks Nick

Thanks Nick, I was glad you were along for the ride. You had some great input and presented me with a number of challenges to correct items which I just had to, to have a go. In the end it provided a much better result. Now I follow your challenging build. 

• Like 2

Hi Ray,

top marks and heartfelt congratulations for these two models!!!

Absolutely brilliant!

JR

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ray,

top marks and heartfelt congratulations for these two models!!!

Absolutely brilliant!

JR

Thanks JR

I have now posted the pics in the gallery. Project done!!

I used the same photos as last night as today's effort did not change much. I have also posted below a couple of side-on shots to allow a comparison between the Airfix R-2 and modified Italeri D-5. I have also included a human eye level pic of the Italeri nose as modified.

Airfix R-2

Stuka_Airfix_Construction_49

Modified Italeri D-5

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_113

Modified Italeri D-5 Nose and Spinner/Prop

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_114

• Like 6

Excellent Ray,

Really well done 👍

Hard to pick a favourite between the two as they are so good, but I always liked the lines of the D/G models over the Bertha.

Cheers Greg 😄

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent Ray,

Really well done 👍

Hard to pick a favourite between the two as they are so good, but I always liked the lines of the D/G models over the Bertha.

Cheers Greg 😄

Thanks Greg.

What really interested me in this build is I modified the Italeri to have the same overall length from cowl front to rudder end as the Airfix B-2.  Both resulted in lengths as quoted in the German documentation of approximately 11.0 metres. The only difference being a slightly longer D-5 was due to the thicker spinner backplate and increased prop gap to cowl.  I eliminated that long extended nose and super slim fuselage, that is popular in some drawings and kit renditions of the Dora and the Gustav, and I am very happy as it turned out. Every part a Dora.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

They look very real.

Praise indeed, it's what I try to achieve. Not always successful but getting there. Next build I am going to put extra effort into the tailplanes and rudder. It's an area that needs more work.

20 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Craig. The results were very satisfying and I am really happy with the look of the Dora. It certainly got my interest in aircraft operated by Bulgaria and it provides good opportunities to model German types for those who like the aircraft but maybe not with that fin marking. I'm glad there was some value in the build. It's what I also like about BM. There is a wealth of knowledge and preparedness to share. We are all always learning and the research side is a big part of the fun, for me, in this hobby, followed by the challenge of execution. 

Thanks Nick, I was glad you were along for the ride. You had some great input and presented me with a number of challenges to correct items which I just had to, to have a go. In the end it provided a much better result. Now I follow your challenging build. 

Glade to be able to help. I will probably have to move my build to wip. Section as will not get it finished in time. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Niknak said:

I will probably have to move my build to wip. Section as will not get it finished in time. 

That's a shame Nick. A very interesting and challenging build. No doubt will look good when complete.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Superb builds Ray.  Congratulations!

The Bulgarian markings definitely add some extra interest too.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff you're very kind.

I am very pleased how they turned out particularly the D-5. You never know when you start cutting and shoving plastic, whether you will actually finish. The STGB gives good incentive to stay with it.

I also saw your comments on your build colours. I used Gunze (GSI Creos) Mr Aqueous Hobby Colour and really like the difference between the RLM 70 and 71. Not too much. I think appropriate for a weathered/faded older machine RLM 71. Probably not totally appropriate for your early war Stuka but worth considering in future builds. 

Now the problem of what to do next - my stash is in Australia and I'm locked down in Europe. I might have to raid the LHS's to see if they're open and whether they have a Spitfire or something.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Excellent job on both!

Thanks Ed and thank you for your input that assisted so much in making a decision on a number of Stuka matters related to, in particular, the D-5. This helped a lot. It was a fun STGB. Now on to matters closer to home RAAF Spitfires.