“City of Winnipeg” RCAF Mustang

Beazer

Never built a mustang before and I have 5 in the stash with the Chattanooga incoming.

I will enter with a late mustang from the “City of Winnipeg” squadron.  Sends chills I know😬😉

Im using the Tamils 8th AF kit with plenty of aftermarket goodies.

I originally wanted to BMF the kit but discovered it was painted in aluminum dope.  So going to try and airbrush metallics.  New year and new techniques to test out.

I hope this turns out well as it’s a unique subject for mustangs that you don’t normally see.

49354457262_afec147c7b_b.jpg

49371656806_493af7320c_b.jpg

49371199373_e7005f46b5_b.jpg

49371199378_cbbb20bb93_b.jpg

Some reference photos.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've got this old Hasegawa kit with similar markings.

Thats the early scheme recieved in '47.  I'm doing the late scheme circa '51 with the tail warning radar and if the yellow doesnt cooperate I can still do the transition scheme. ;)

49375490448_a284d680af_b.jpg

Edited by Beazer
  • Like 3

49401694831_5be7194d93_b.jpg

Sprayed some silver and some interior green.

Discovered that I may have lost the resin tail warning radar piece (I had 3:()

Probably going to have to change the scheme now.  Just unsure which.

• Like 4

49402479408_a93aed77e3_b.jpg

49402479423_948075c366_b.jpg

49403156387_74e939c671_b.jpg

Cockpits done, just going to spray it flat and add gloss instruments once the weathering is dry.

Added an Eduard PE set, Ultracast seat, some wire I had laying around for the battery, and some Uschi plywood decals(which you should have a white or yellow undercoat to work properly).

Also used some cockpit stencils which was time consuming and does make a difference if you’re looking.  Definitely keeps the battery bay busy.

• Like 6

49416460878_7378c30bd3_b.jpg

49416460868_7bfd77f466_b.jpg

Was able to get the fuselage together and button her up.

Chopped the wings a bit and added some resin to the mix, definitely a better mix and surprisingly zero issues with fitment. 

The wings as well fit darn near perfect as well and will take only a little bit of sanding in a couple spots to make it clean.

Also added a resin (extremely thin) canopy brace.

I ordered the leading edge decals for Western Canada as I may end up doing a City of Calgary instead but Im just hoping for the decals to come with the resin tail radar.

• Like 2

49421218993_f9b7e5623f_b.jpg

Forgot I had ordered resin inserts for the guns.   Wish I would have ordered brass barrels.

Pain in the bottom to fit anywhere near close.  
Did not want to end up putting and fixing this.

Between the 6feet of snow in my driveway and this; as the kids say “I can’t even”

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Beazer said:

Between the 6feet of snow in my driveway and this; as the kids say “I can’t even”

Hey! This is Canada. It's either 6' of snow or -40C. Pick one!

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hey! This is Canada. It's either 6' of snow or -40C. Pick one!

Chris

You know it’s bad when the ski hill closes haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These were long before my time in Winnipeg. I heard quite a few of these ended up restored in the U.S. in U.S. markings. I has the old 1/32 rivet laden Matchbox(I think) kit built in the 4oh2 sqdn markings. This one's looking good so far.

15 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Godd morning Beazer

Very good job so far are sure it is your first Mustang build ?

Keep going

Patrice

Definitely my first Mustang.  4 or 5 in the stash.

Those gun panels suck, need more filler and that equals less fun.  Regrets.

Edited by Beazer

49452123036_c06db247f7_b.jpg

and after another few coats.  It was painted in Aluminum Dope so I dont plan on changing any panel colours aside from where the exhaust is.  That I may put Bare Metal Foil on  and weather it.

The paint is surprisingly thin so I went over it with a semi gloss just to preserve what I had and for the decalling that is to come.

I haven't thrown in the towel yet as to the late scheme but judging by the standard cuffed propellers I am preparing for that eventuallity.

I havent been able to find or source any versions of the tail warning radar that would work with the later variants.  

• Like 4

49456237807_1697fac924_b.jpg

Look what I found? 
Also my western Canada decals arrived today so now I have an extra 3.🤓

Trying to apply the decals for the prop and tail.  Not doing that great tbh, and may end up just painting them on even knowing how tedious that is.

• Like 6

49460924577_e561f32acd_b.jpg

49460690706_6875dba1f2_b.jpg

The decal for the nose was not working but I left it thinking not that big of a deal.

Decided to seal the decals with a coat of semi gloss, and the nose decided to crack and react.  Maybe I was impatient and sprayed too soon but I decided now that I would have to redo the nose and spray it by hand.  
The rudder could maybe use it as well but I’m not going to bother as it’s really minor and you have to look hard to see the mistake.

I had planned to really stencil the aircraft up but upon review it seemed a lot of these Late mustangs had the bare minimum showing so I decided to be very minimalistic.  Almost tempted to do a western Canada mustang now... 

• Like 6