28mm Napoleonic Dio

Jim Wasley

I have been putting together these figures for a Dio of the French cavalry running down these British soldiers.The French Cuirassiers are from Perry also the wounded British soldier,the other British are from the Victrix set,I did a few small tweaks to some of the infantry other than that they are OOB. Once I finish the figure painting I will start on the base.

Cheers Jim.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png 

• Like 9

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 12:21 PM, ERK said:

Loverly work,  I too am really in to Waterloo period  and just seen the 28mm figure sets  - look really good.

E.

Thanks Erk,Sorry I'm late to acknowledge you,Did not know you commented.Yes Waterloo is a nice period you can paint so many different Armies from both sides.

Cheers Jim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Thanks Erk,Sorry I'm late to acknowledge you,Did not know you commented.Yes Waterloo is a nice period you can paint so many different Armies from both sides.

Cheers Jim.

Thanks Jim.

Erk.

Edited by ERK

Are the Brits  Perry or Victrix  as  there is some good detail on the backs (without the packs)  and I know Perry has those  cut outs  and  the Victrix ones dont have  the straps  very well engraved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ERK said:

Are the Brits  Perry or Victrix  as  there is some good detail on the backs (without the packs)  and I know Perry has those  cut outs  and  the Victrix ones dont have  the straps  very well engraved.

The standing figures are Victrix,I bought a second/hand box of figures long time back and I use the figures for all kinds of things.

Cheers Jim.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Thanks for that Jim,   I am  toying between Perry and Victrix, I have tried both in thier single Sprue   set ups  (saves money not buying the box)  but found  with the Perry  french  Infantry that  there is cut outs  on thier backs to take the  back packs,  this doesnt  seem to be an issue with Victrix  but I find the accuracy  and scale detail of the Perry range to be better.

I am doing a dio on the attack on La Haye Sainte   and understand a good amount of KGL troops were the Light infantry  and would not have worn back packs.

Erk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ERK said:

Thanks for that Jim,   I am  toying between Perry and Victrix, I have tried both in thier single Sprue   set ups  (saves money not buying the box)  but found  with the Perry  french  Infantry that  there is cut outs  on thier backs to take the  back packs,  this doesnt  seem to be an issue with Victrix  but I find the accuracy  and scale detail of the Perry range to be better.

I am doing a dio on the attack on La Haye Sainte   and understand a good amount of KGL troops were the Light infantry  and would not have worn back packs.

Erk.

Yes you are right Perry are a nice figure,the Victrix box is one of their early works and they are getting better.Will look forward to seeing yours when finished.

Jim.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Yes you are right Perry are a nice figure,the Victrix box is one of their early works and they are getting better.Will look forward to seeing yours when finished.

Jim.

I'm a long long way off Jim  as I want to make it as realistic as possible, also I am just working on the figures for now as I buy them  - then  for an xmas prezzy to myself I will buy the MDF  farm house  and get a base, then it will be time for the real modeling skills to start.

Erk.

• Like 1

Jim I have been having some troubles with brush on clear top coats, I brought a jar of Mr Hobby Colour Gunze/Sangyo  Flat Clear, but when I  brushed it on straight from the jar  it made my Acrylic paintwork mix  together  - somehow  they reacted to it  despite the Acrylic paintwork  being more then 12hours on the figure.

It was a brand new jar I brought,  a couple of days ago  - I  then tried to dilute it 50/50  with distilled water, this went ontop of the first layer ok  (No reaction)  but what I did find even with a couple of brush on coats  - it has not gone flat  if anything it has a shiny finish to it almost like a satin  yet it says Flat Clear on the jar.

Only thing I will say  - with my last Two models I did not use a  propper primer  instead I used a basic flat Black Tamiya pot  of Acrylic  to act as a primer.

Erk.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ERK said:

Jim I have been having some troubles with brush on clear top coats, I brought a jar of Mr Hobby Colour Gunze/Sangyo  Flat Clear, but when I  brushed it on straight from the jar  it made my Acrylic paintwork mix  together  - somehow  they reacted to it  despite the Acrylic paintwork  being more then 12hours on the figure.

It was a brand new jar I brought,  a couple of days ago  - I  then tried to dilute it 50/50  with distilled water, this went ontop of the first layer ok  (No reaction)  but what I did find even with a couple of brush on coats  - it has not gone flat  if anything it has a shiny finish to it almost like a satin  yet it says Flat Clear on the jar.

Only thing I will say  - with my last Two models I did not use a  propper primer  instead I used a basic flat Black Tamiya pot  of Acrylic  to act as a primer.

Erk.

I'm sorry I have never used that product,But I'm sure if you put up your problem in figure discussion,someone will help,Or had a similar problem.And I'm sure what primer base you use,will not make a difference with what top/coat you use,and when it softens and mixes your acrylics it may not be compatible with your paints. I just use a rattle can of grey primer and sometimes a rattle can of flat black,I use a matte varnish I have had for close to 20 years or more,I do not have any hobby shops in my area so I tend to use what ever is at hand,I use craft acrylics and have never had a problem in my 50 plus years of painting models.I think it is a mind field out there for anyone starting out there are so many products,they all want to get your money,when there are a lot of good products at half the price,Have to say what works for me may not work for others,There are a few things you can do is do not thin it down so much,Take it back to the shop tell them the problem,see if they can help.

I feel a little terrible I can not help,but if you can work out what's wrong with your matte finish all the better.

Keep Well,

Jim.

P.S. I have been thinking about your problem,the reason maybe that the matte is also a medium which can soften the paint and also extend the drying time,do not go over the first coat of matte until it is dry.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Wasley
added
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...