1/48 Spanish war Ju 87A-2

Greg Law

Seen as I put my hand up to do this early on, I have decided to add it to my rather extreme build list. It is a difficult build for me, if I get it done it will be worth while.

I can't guarantee I will make the deadline, but it is a good build period, so you never know.

This will be out of the box build and involves a lot of resin which isn't my favourite material for health reasons.  

The plane I have chosen to do is a Ju 87A-2 from St.G 163 based in Spain in early 1938. 

I have a new canopy for this kit, Thankyou Special Hobby,  so the yellow one you see in the kit will be binned. 

Wish me luck because I'm going to need it. 

Ju 87A image1

• Like 14

Absolutely follow away.

I've made a start by exploring the fit of the fuselage and wings. Let me say this is not a Tamiya kit. It is an old Special hobby kit and you know what that means. 

I've also looked at one of the gear legs and wheels.  I have removed the crude moulded wheel and replaced it with the supplied resin one. It took a lot of carving  and quite a lot of blood to get it to fit. I'm not looking forward to doing the next one. Still it works.

I can see I Will have to improve the wing and wheel connections with brass rods.

Like the Beaufort this one is making me think out of the box.

Got to love it for now. Hate it later I expect......

You might be interested in my rebuild of my disastrous He 51 in Spanish War colours. This was a present from my daughter and because of the major rigging issues it ended up in a real mess. As she is visiting me this year I want to make a replacement.  I order the kit yesterday. 

So busy busy busy I am.....

• Like 3

Good on you. I too like the Anton with Spanish markings. These older Special Hobby kits do give extra work, but unfortunately it is the only game in town for a 1/48 Anton.

Hopefully there won't be too many challenges ahead.

Cheers. Peter

Edited by Basilisk

Just to give you an idea of the difference the resin wheel mod makes. Here is the roughed in resin wheel setup against the kit one. It took a lot of internal carving to get the wheel to

fit in because the walls are rather thick. Sorry it is a bit blurry. 

Ju 87A image2

• Like 6

Next decision is to rivet the whole plane because it looks pretty plain without it. I read that these stuka's had a lot of obvious raised rivets.

Wish me luck it is another first for me.

Also I have order with fast postage PE and a instrument panel for a Ju 87B. I will see what I can use in this one. The kits instrument panel

Is too finely detailed to the point I can't see it without a magnifying glass. 

A quick question.

Does anyone know if I have to cut the resin cockpit floor back to the indicated lines? The floor will get rather thin and I'm worried about 

breaking it. I have taken it back about halfway at the moment.

The lower wing panel's are riveted. It does add interest to them. They were looking big flat and boring before.  Now they are looking a lot more lively.

I will do the rest of the wing tomorrow.  I think I will tone it down a bit on the fuselage because if I followed the plan I have it would look unrealistic. 

Ok this build is going better than expected.  I'm up to painting the cockpit this morning. I plan to do RLM02 side walls and RLM66  floor. 

But first I will undercoat it. 

The wing fit which was terrible, it has been sorted now.  So now I have only a small gap to fill. The tail planes are a different story. The seating for them on the fuselage was rounded and needs to be sanded flat. I will need to make some brass pegs  otherwise they will break off with the slightest touch.

More pictures soon. 

Undercoating of the cockpit parts is done in black base.

• Like 4

Cockpit now has been painted RLM02.  Once I have done the detail painting I will put images up.

I just tried the Yahn instrument panel and it fits perfectly.  I will just use the resin one as a backing for it.

That resolved one issue nicely.

Adding to this list of issues with this kit is the rear gun mounting frame. There is only one part in the kit for it and that's a resin post which would

Break if you looked at it sideways. All the brackets have to be scratch built and all the connecting bars have to be made of stretched sprue. Even the construction drawing is very vague. I will just have to boggy it up the best that I can. This is one kit that Eduard could have made a killing out of if they had made a good PE set for it.

I've been detail painting the cockpit to day. All went well. I also cut the block of resin out that was under the pilot seat without breaking it.

I'm going to try the new UV glue system on this build. Has anyone used it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Law said:

I'm going to try the new UV glue system on this build. Has anyone used it? 

Ive seen it used before, it seems to work quite well if done properly. Ive thought about trying it for canopies and lights to seem if that would work. 

12 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well is is the work on the cockpit so far I will be replacing the seat.

Looking good, you might be able to use the seat if you make some framing from bass rod or stretched sprue.  As Peter @Basilisk has said, the Quickboost seat is on the narrow side. :unsure:

10 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

It's  amazing  how little change took place in the cockpit from the A to G model . Do you get the window in the floor with the A ?

Yes, there was one. It is on the 1/32 kit, but not on mine. Another thing to look into. 

Yesterday I made the missing frame that should be between the seat and the radio.

I also cutout the first canopy which will be for testing. It is very thin walled, so I might have to

Do this one closed canopy.  Hopefully the new seat will arrive on Thursday. I'm going slow with

This one because there is not much choice. So much needs to be replaced.

I'm tempted to get that 1/32 one. It looks a nice kit.

This is my first bit of scratch building. This is the missing partition. There are supposed to be more verticals, but I decided to make it diagrammatic

rather than perfect as it was difficult enough to make as is. 

Ju 87A image4

• Like 5

Well I've just completed one of those modelling nightmares. I had to put the exhaust ends one by one in holes that were too small. Talk about carpet monster food. 

Luck was with me and after much sweating I got them all in. The carpet monster went hungry tonight. 🙂

• Like 1