Valom 1/48 Scale Britten Norman Islander

Hi All,

Here is the 1/48 scale Britten Norman Islander released by Valom in 2018. This is the original boxing finished in the markings of Mount Cook Airlines in New Zealand in 1988. Since the kit and scale were new there were no aftermarket decals so the Mount Cook Flight Seeing decals were home made. 

WIP thread here in Islander

IMG_5493

IMG_5488

IMG_5491

IMG_5483

Colin W

• Like 26

Many thanks for the comments. 

Kapam the figures are '0' gauge railway figures. Very smartly dressed for a scenic flight in NZ though! 

13 hours ago, Cariado said:

Or even a Trislander.

The longer fuselage and wing span would probably deter any manufacturers from producing a Trilander kit. However it would be quite easy to bash 2 Islanders into a Trilander in either scale.  

Colin 

13 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Many thanks for the comments. 

Kapam the figures are '0' gauge railway figures. Very smartly dressed for a scenic flight in NZ though! 

The longer fuselage and wing span would probably deter any manufacturers from producing a Trilander kit. However it would be quite easy to bash 2 Islanders into a Trilander in either scale.  

Colin 

The Trislander is 14 feet longer (31/inches in 1/48th) and has a 4 foot greater wingspan than the Islander according to Wackypaedia, so not dramatically larger and I suspect that most, if not all, of the difference in span depends on which type of wingtip is fitted.

9 hours ago, kapam said:

Do you mind me asking where the figures came from?

they are originally by Prieser, but have been copied in the far east, and are available cheap on ebay

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Model-Train-Railway-Diorama-1-50-Unpainted-Figures-people-O-SCALE/282226798553

100 figures posted for £5

This is a UK listing, just as an example, but sure you can find more

I got some for potential diorama work.  

Neat work on the Islander,  an Airifx kit that never appealed back in the day,  though the Gatwick Air Museum has just the nose of one for children to play in,  which greatly amused my daughter on our visit.