F-82G Midnight Sinner

Thom216

Alright, another try to see if I can finish a GB!😁

I have a couple of P-51 kits, Tamiya and Airfix, but I think I'll start with something sure to make it hard to finish, and that is the Modelcraft F-82G Twin Mustang!

I'm sure enough has been written about the hardships of this kit and some test fits certainly show that to full effect. But, I have an abundance of sanding stick and pads, filler and CA to handle all that.

I was thinking about building her as the XP-52 that is now flying, but I think I'll save that built for the new 1/48 kit due out some time in the near(?) future.

This build will be 'Midnight Sinner.'

spacer.png

However, I'll need some aftermarket 'stuff' in order to build her. First off is the cockpit PE from Eduard.

bEC4wEa.jpg

Then the Squadron canopies. I'll have to be careful with these, as I've never really done them before. Good anyway...

QaB5Bct.jpg

Next up is the decals from Print Scale.

s-l500.jpg

Looking at AndyC's build, I also decided to get some resin wheels for the Skyraider. I'll still have to use the kit's tail wheels but that should be no problem.

s-l1600.jpg

And last but not least is the flame-damper exhausts. Those are coming from Shapeways.

710x528_22921025_12537015_1574483720.jpg

Of course, by now I've probably thrown way too much money at this kit!😂 I think part of it is the challenge of the thing, and money already spent making a hole deep enough for the rest to follow!👍

So onto the build!

Not much done for today, just removing the plastic from the cockpits to make room for the PE. I also used a sanding drum on a dremel to bevel out the mating surfaces for the nose cowls. That and running an emery board over it has seemed to make the join a little better. Not perfect by any means but easier to work with.

7593cq2.jpg

5L9RrIu.jpg

I'll glue those in place as well as the tail tips, concentrating on getting the outer surfaces even, and clean up all the joins, then move onto the cockpit PE.

Til then, model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

However, I'll need some aftermarket 'stuff' in order to build her.

As you are in the US, Lone Star resin do some prop blades, you will need those. They may done something else,  not in the mood to go searching, but the blades are really distinctive. And the kits ones are poor...

The Modelling the P-51 Mustang book by Osprey has a useful build in it,  and I presume you have seen Phil 'Bondo' Brandt's build?

The Eduard PE IIRC needs building out from the Osprey build.  And may not be that accurate... 

The radar pod needs work. A guy in the US made a resin one I think,  he did a build on Hyperscale,  that was a few years back thought.  It's late, and I have not thought about this kit in detail for a while,  but it's a lot of work.

Those Shapeways exhausts look great,  are they done specially for this?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, Troy Smith said:

As you are in the US, Lone Star resin do some prop blades, you will need those. They may done something else,  not in the mood to go searching, but the blades are really distinctive. And the kits ones are poor...

The Modelling the P-51 Mustang book by Osprey has a useful build in it,  and I presume you have seen Phil 'Bondo' Brandt's build?

The Eduard PE IIRC needs building out from the Osprey build.  And may not be that accurate... 

The radar pod needs work. A guy in the US made a resin one I think,  he did a build on Hyperscale,  that was a few years back thought.  It's late, and I have not thought about this kit in detail for a while,  but it's a lot of work.

Those Shapeways exhausts look great,  are they done specially for this?

Thanks for the heads up. 

I have some leftover props from a P-47. I think there's enough 'meat' there to trim them down to the right profile.

The radar pod, I'll to check and see what I can do to fix the shape.  There will be no more money being thrown at this one!😁

As for the exhausts, there are designed for the Modelcraft kit.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DWD6RJB2S/f-82g-twin-mustang-exhaust-1-48?optionId=64940431&li=marketplace

No more pics a yet. I ended up pulling the nose pieces off and regluing them. I had a Duh-me moment when I realized that shaving the mating surfaces to fit while keeping the outer joints even could adversely effect the 'roundness' of the propeller hub mounting area. Sanding and rescribing are definitely in the future!

Thom

• 2 weeks later...

Well, long time since the last update. I think I should choose a simpler build for the next BG, maybe something 90% OOB and 10% aftermarket.  But for now, I finished putting the noses onto the fuse halves. I still have to re-panel line them, but the joins are nice and smooth and just waiting for me to mess up with the scribing.😉

This shows the great fit between the fuselage halves.

WyigF9L.jpg

But that is surmountable! And good news was that the Shapeways exhausts arrived! WOOHOO!

rDHYeEq.jpg

Because of their 3D nature, they are not drop in replacements. The area has to be cut out so these will be put in before the halves go together. They'll also need to be sanded lightly to get slight roughness off them.

5sX0s3P.jpg

An interesting look inside, seeing where the 'indent' for the kit exhausts don't even match up.

LRDyBrV.jpg

And a test fit of the new exhausts. After some carving and sanding the fit is suitably tight. Now just have to do that with the other three.

RY8QNUR.jpg

And that's it for now. Need to get kicking on this. Just a whole month and a half to go!

Model on.

Thom

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 8:34 AM, Biggles87 said:

You like a challenge then, do you? :whistle:

John

I'm afraid this fell right off the work table. Figuratively! She's boxed and waiting for another time. (As for too many projects...)😬

• Like 1
  • Sad 2