PS to the comparison notes a couple posts back  - 

The GWH kits seats are ok but was quite surprised (read as disappointed) by the GRU-7 seats in their newer ‘A’ boxing - no Ejection ‘face curtain’ handles on them. 

Academy and finemolds both provide these as fine injection moulded parts. Heck even the now old tool academy kit had these, along with the Fujimi one from the late 80’s. 

None provide seatbelts.

PPS found the first proper big omission/mistake in the academy kit - hadn’t noticed it until I got around to these parts. 

The main gear are quite detailed and made up from several parts for the linkages and springs. 

The nose gear on the other end of the spectrum and is very simple and only made up from one. Like it was designed on a Friday...

Have a look at the picture and see if you can work out what’s wrong or missing? - 

2-B56-F877-16-F1-4-FD8-B65-F-BF07-E6-C09

• Like 3

Is it the retraction strut? The one that attaches high on the starboard side of the leg and then angles up and forward into the main part of the bay? And for that matter, any detail on the walls of the bay?

I think I prefer Monday-Thursday Academy over the Friday Academy efforts...

Andrew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Is it the retraction strut?

We have a winner! 

Yes mate can’t believe they left it off?  There seems to be a little nib on the leg where the retraction arm would attach but they forgot to include it all together. There isn’t a location hole in the bay either. 
There is definitely not a part on the sprues I have quadruple checked. 

There is no detail on the walls of the nose gear bay. Again frustrating because the main gear bays are awesome, on par with Finemolds. 

The good thing is that the hboss kit has a one piece front leg too, with a retraction arm moulded in situ. The best part being they include two in each kit, one std and one compressed for the cat. 

So all those alternate front nose gears in the spares box from all my hboss builds will come in handy for my soon to arrive academy kits 😎

Also means there is a market for an academy front wheel bay update set if you know what I mean. 

• Like 4

Hurray for Hobbyboss! I think I might have one or two of their nose legs to spare, plus other pieces from other brands. Thanks for the heads-up!

42 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

there is a market for an academy front wheel bay update set if you know what I mean

Ooooh, I like where this is going...

So here is one of the bits I was on about trimmed off of a Hboss compressed nose gear. 
I know I said I was going to keep this new acad kit OOB but can’t leave that off. 
So that’s two things that have been added to the kit (apart from different decals) with this strut and the seatbelts. Speaking of seatbelts- Put those on yesterday actually had some spare ones from an aires fret. Seats now ready for paint too. 
76645858-FDBB-48-D8-AE2-A-12752-D4-B2-BC

Also I need to measure against others but the nose gear leg in general seems rather long/tall? 
Will report back later.

• Like 3

I'm in for this one as already it seems an excellent thread to follow. I love a Tomcat and late last year I acquired the 1/72 Finemolds to add to my stash. My to do preferences for this beautiful aircraft are early USN gull grey/white in service, a similar era from the Naval Missile Test Centre, and an Asia minor camouflaged aircraft of the IIAF. So as I need at least three. I may well add this new Academy to the stash.

Will follow this one closely Tony, thanks for excellent info so far.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Started the painting 😎

Full prime after some clean up from the initial spot work. 

8-AF05642-563-F-4-AC4-B4-E6-1-AA410-FD24

Colour going on...

C67-CFCA9-B0-A4-41-DC-823-F-7-B6-E5-B8-D

9895-E3-E2-D209-4-DE2-8-ECE-450199170851

CEFADCD6-FD9-F-4435-A510-A1-E258-B347-B0

Really enjoying this kit. 
Sorry I keep saying that but it’s going well, so want to keep at it if you know what I mean. Probably jinxed it now...

• Like 9

Did I mention I like this kit? 😬

Managed to get some good prices by bulk order from one place and pre order from the big yellow H. 

What is strange is that from one place they came shrink wrapped and another not. 

These were funded by the sale of most of my hasegawa and fujimi tomcat stash last week on ebay...

156-BA26-F-492-A-46-AC-A4-C3-0-AD05-FF33

• Like 4

On 2/11/2020 at 3:18 PM, Tony Oliver said:

These were funded by the sale of most of my hasegawa and fujimi tomcat stash last week on ebay...

156-BA26-F-492-A-46-AC-A4-C3-0-AD05-FF33

Where's the wow Emoji!

It sounds like this kit does well and truly overhaul the Fujimi kit then?

Hi Tony, I've been looking at some of your WIP threads for a couple of weeks and feel more inspired to tackle a F14. I'm a returnee to the "hobby" being drawn back in by the Airfix F4K that I finished late last year and enjoyed the additional work that I felt able to try to put in; no means perfect but a start.

I'm just finishing my Revel Harvard that I converted to a IIB - and what a horrid little kit that was; but the results are ok, so I feel ready to try something different and more detail-wise rewarding.

The last F14 I made was probably just in the post-Top gun era and was a Hasegawa 1/72 (still my preferred scale) ,,, can't recall which markings it came in (I recall the box art had a black tail with a yellow stripe on the fuselage; I've long forgotten all the VF markings and need to head to the loft to dig out my old books - but I finished it in VF111 low viz... which unfortunately I messed up as the markings were a very close shade to the fuselage grey - the failures of a teenager! That model was lost several house moves ago and 30+ years later I fancy another.

To be honest, I think the Airfix F14 was my first attempt to make a 'plane... back in, blimey, that was probably 1976.

I was drawn to the airfix mag article about the Finemolds F14 (and loved the detail and markings in 111) but have found it tricky to source other than from Japan (and unsure what the import duty would be). Your article(s) have suggested that actually the new Academy offering is equally as viable (if not better in some areas) so I might seriously consider a purchase. I'm not overly sold on the markings so would look around for alternatives but I'm guessing there's lots on offer... I still fancy VF111, although 84 is hard to beat too

Your point about the nose gear is interesting, and good to see you've a spare to use instead; but I guess you'll be looking for others given the size of that stash you've to work with. I presume that there are after market offerings that could be used instead; do you have any advice or preference on these? I need to have a good look myself.

Anyway... thanks so much for the really informative thread, and I'll be continuing to follow it closely.

Cheers

Jonathan

13 hours ago, Jon020 said:

Your point about the nose gear is interesting, and good to see you've a spare to use instead; but I guess you'll be looking for others given the size of that stash you've to work with. I presume that there are after market offerings that could be used instead; do you have any advice or preference on these?

Hi Jonathan, 

The nose gear strut omission is a strange one. There isn’t any aftermarket nose gear for tomcats in 1/72 that I am aware of. 
There is SAC that do warts and all recasts of stock landing gear in white metal (i think these are a complete waste of time but thats a story for another day) so they may do other brand tomcat gear that could be purchased to source a strut. Failing that one could scratch it from plastic rod. 

Fortunately for me I have enough hboss tomcats in the stash which come with two complete nose gears as shown above to get spare struts from. 

PS i checked the old tool 72nd academy tomcat and it would seem they missed the strut off of the nose gear on that one too...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Hi Jonathan, 

The nose gear strut omission is a strange one. There isn’t any aftermarket nose gear for tomcats in 1/72 that I am aware of. 
There is SAC that do warts and all recasts of stock landing gear in white metal (i think these are a complete waste of time but thats a story for another day) so they may do other brand tomcat gear that could be purchased to source a strut. Failing that one could scratch it from plastic rod. 

Fortunately for me I have enough hboss tomcats in the stash which come with two complete nose gears as shown above to get spare struts from. 

PS i checked the old tool 72nd academy tomcat and it would seem they missed the strut off of the nose gear on that one too...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response; I'd found those white metal ones on Hannants - yes, hmmm. to be honest, I might bight the bullet and see if I can get a Fine Molds one from japan. I don't tend to do models in numbers and am quite happy to spend months (or even years) on one kit... trying to make it the best I can... so maybe with its open panel options the FM one might be the best option - with all its trickiness to boot (again your thread on that was useful - thanks. I know this lacks some additional bits, but I'll look to source some of those separately too. 

keep up the good work - and thanks for his fabulous reference for all of us that are in awe of your work - the how-to guides are priceless.

With my apologies for the slight thread drift.

cheers

Jonathan

1 hour ago, Jon020 said:

With my apologies for the slight thread drift.

No worries mate. The Finemolds is a cracking kit, all though rare , expensive and a little bit fiddly if you don’t take your time. 

I actually had these shots lined up for this thread as a comparison between the academy and finemolds - see below. 

The acad kit has more ‘rivets per inch’ in the same areas and but then both kits have details where the other may not. Who is correct and/or who was lazy with the designs?

One thing I will say about the Finemolds is even though it may not have the ‘most’ surface detail, what is there seems to be the most consistent and crisp across all the kits parts. Also the Finemolds cockpit and u/c are next level compared to the acad kit. 
But then the acad kits cockpit and u/c are a major improvement over the likes of hboss and co (nose gear strut aside) 

As mentioned a few posts back the GWH and acad kit have a few ‘soft areas’ so the Finemolds wins the surface detail category for me personally. 

Update on the acad kit - 

U/c bays getting colour. 
5-F3987-B8-8880-47-FD-9-E0-B-C2-B2-D87-C

All major spray work complete like missile heads etc. 
Parts now for detail painting of nav lights, vents, grills, ecm blisters, missile fins, tires, gear door edges etc. Then decals can go on. 
DC42-A220-3-A4-E-4-F19-8537-F7-F1-C9-AC3

Here are the FM and acad kit backs lined off as best I can side by side for comparison of ‘rivets per inch’ and where they have placed them along with a different take on a few panel lines. 
This is only a snap shot of one area and not an exhaustive ‘list’ of the differences, just to give a feel of how they compare. 

In all pics FM left, Acad right. 
BF7-F50-EB-F5-C5-46-B2-8-AE0-8-B3188-CB4

067-FBE2-D-17-DA-42-DB-8041-C70-D3-CDE2-

627-AADE7-B9-EC-4-B8-C-A383-D37-F36-AE0-

Next its decal time for the Acad kit.

Decided to scrap the bedevillers plan - it’s going to be a pukin dog, a nod to squadron the kit’s decal sheet is for...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Decals on!

Vf-143 from 1990. 

From the Revell A plus boxing (italeri plastic) circa mid 90’s

They were hard work as old, yellowed and quite ‘stiff’. Due to damage or inconsistencies I had to replace some bits, these were sourced from the spares box. . 

Also tarted up the nozzles inside and out with some of my homemade stuff. 

15-FB3-AF6-EA55-4511-97-E0-087-C088-C163

39-ECD77-B-31-D0-4-B6-C-A8-AE-DD5-A83997

84-F40379-3735-46-AC-B1-F0-4-DA23-D87-FC

8-F8-CCC38-9-DE1-4931-8-BD4-BEF99-A53-A6

C7-E01-BD4-12-D9-4-A46-94-C7-CEDA011750-

weathering next! 

Cheers, Tony

• Like 6

Panel washes - 

Mig medium grey overall, Deep grey in hinges/moveable areas, black (nato dark) in vents and grilles. 

The medium grey doesn’t show up much due to the gloss coat but will once flat coated. Had this happen before. 

Washes going on

2-CAD8-C0-E-4-BF6-44-BC-8988-2-D46216-F2

Starting to be cleaned up. 

0-B5-BF6-F7-8-A69-4-F75-B180-F326-B1-C3-

A few selected areas being redone. 

889-A0-E2-B-A7-EE-4-E62-8-F41-4-FAAD7-FA

Flat coated and canopy masking off. 

2-A3-A0-BFA-A0-AC-4-D38-98-DC-1947-C8-AB

2-D6-EB32-B-7670-40-CF-8258-3472-C01-B9-

62251495-A509-4-DAE-A785-B02-AF19-E1976.

670-F955-F-4902-4-AE5-A527-132-EBF92345-

64-A60714-2-AED-447-A-AEAE-42-A2-FC32-C0

Next some streaks then final assembly! Hopefully by the next week.

• Like 6

Bit more - 

Good idea the way they have done all the probes. On a little base that slots in. The sprue attachment point is in a convenient place too on the bottom of the base allowing you to paint it then attach when ready.

You can see them all in the bottom right of the last picture above. 
I sprayed all the probes in xtreme dark aluminium so have a nice smooth tight grain finish. Normally for tomcat probes you have to clean up the attachment point on the outside, glue it then very carefully paint in situ by brush with an average metallic option. 

Back to acad probes - they are a tight fit though, had to remove paint from sides of base and in fuselage holes, Mr Paint is thin enough so extra care will be needed with regular acrylics. May fill holes with maskol on next one.

All glued in with a tiny dab of pva/white glue/kristal kleer etc as easy clean up if it goes wrong. 
One of the bases was short shot so put a bit more glue to use as filler, let it ooze then squared it up with a moist brush, touched in with metal when dry. 

Also exhausts dirtied up with some pigment. 

Another few good things are all the missiles fit well to their mounts and ‘look right’ with all their slightly offline angles. The phoenixes on the belly pallets look good too being nice and flush. 
All the U/C doors have nice positive location pins/stubs but not chunky or toy like. Again these set all the doors at their correct angles too as not all are perpendicular in real life.

I actually prefer these to the Finemolds doors which are a bit fussy to fit on that kit and they have a too large gap between nose gear doors and bottom of fuselage. 

Also something I mentioned a while back, acad would have you build this canopy closed. There is a part marked not for use that allows you to prop it up. It fits and works so mine will be posed opened. 

Probes 

9-F1-E1-BA3-CFB3-44-AD-9307-6-A1-AE5-A39

Zorsts. 

2810-AF8-C-4315-4840-8921-0-EA554-F912-E

DCAEF120-2-C55-46-DB-B96-D-EF9-BDEE71-C8

Canopy strut location. 
6-EA47-F53-E46-F-4918-AD94-9-C5-E744-DC8

Here is the part. 

DE6776-A5-A161-439-A-BCB1-E87-D9-CA61-FD

She’s about done now, Thanks for looking. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, madcat911 said:

Coming along really nicely here!

Not sure if you noticed but Academy molded the outer half of the fore fin-tip light on the starboard fin with the L-braces. That needs removing. 

Mark

Yeah mate sorted cheers 👌🏽 

Done...

Well it looks very much like a tomcat! And a decent one at that. (The kit in terms of shape and details, not my build quality)

Will take some proper RFI pics soon. Thanks for tagging along. 

2-D470654-293-C-4-B5-F-81-DE-957-E03-FE4

E8917-FBA-CBCA-4-E4-F-BCDA-5-B4-CCF6-B4-

Now the decision is whether to start the GWH pair for the ‘navy GB’ or do some more of these academy ones now I’m ‘in the zone’ with them. 
Although need to finish the Finemolds ones first really, been on the slow burn for a year and a half those have...

• Like 11