Battle of Britain Junkers Ju 87B Stuka

Retired Bob

Having received my Mr Hobby paints I have masked up, the model as well and sprayed a coat of RLM 71 dunklegrun on the upper surfaces, I will leave it to harden up overnight and then  mask up ready for the RLM 70.

IMG_1273

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

After a few hectic days trying to find food and milk for the family I finally got the Stuka masked up for it's splinter camouflage, Mr Hobby RLM 71 sprayed beautifully and after a short delay to allow the paint to harden up a bit I've removed the masking and here it is:

IMG_1275

I wasn't expecting such a strong difference between the two greens, after seeing other builds painted with Vallejo RLM's 70/71 and thinking that the contrast was rather harsh I looked for different paints, not to worry, I prefer spraying the Mr Hobby paints.  Just got to touch up any mistakes I've made, then gloss coat, decals and weathering. 😉

• Like 2

Its looking good to me, I was worried I didn't have enough contrast. it does seem a difficult thing to get right. to my mind a disruptive pattern should be just that and break up the shape of the object, so the more contrast the better right?....who knows?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Graham Boak said:

Low contrast for fresh paint, higher contrast as the 71 faded more quickly than the 70.  The contrast is fine for a weathered aircraft but the 71 looks a bit too grey.  May be different on the model than the picture.

Makes sense, but why start with a paints that were low contrast for a disruptive scheme.. did they know about the way they faded?

11 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Its looking good to me, I was worried I didn't have enough contrast. it does seem a difficult thing to get right. to my mind a disruptive pattern should be just that and break up the shape of the object, so the more contrast the better right?....who knows?

You are right Mark, a disruptive pattern should have some contrast to be effective, it's just it looks a harsher difference on the model compared to war time photos, but then you have the quality of war time film, fading and weathering to consider.  But the photo colours look different to the actual model.

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Low contrast for fresh paint, higher contrast as the 71 faded more quickly than the 70.  The contrast is fine for a weathered aircraft but the 71 looks a bit too grey.  May be different on the model than the picture.

Thanks Graham, if you look at the earlier photo, before I put on the schwarzgrun the dunklegrun looked very green compared to the later photo where as you say, it looks very grey.  Same camera and similar lighting, hopefully it will look better in the next photos.

51 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Makes sense, but why start with a paints that were low contrast for a disruptive scheme.. did they know about the way they faded?

I doubt it, they were looking for a scheme that gave a good effect over wooded/forest terrain, where high contrast wouldn't have been expected.  That is, as far as we can see inside their requirements.  The maritime 72/73 had even less contrast in use.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Camouflage finished, glossed and decals on.  I have done some weathering so just need to apply some matt varnish, attach the bombs and canopy, then remove the canopy masks and I'm done.

IMG_1282

• Like 4

Todays installment, I attached the exhausts and was waiting for the nice warm Spring day that was forecast so that I could spray the matt varnish, still waiting for that, I decided it was still too clean for a hard worked Stuka so I gave it a pin wash of burnt sienna oils, I also read that the wing bomb racks and the under fuselage trapeze should be black or RLM 66, not RLM 65 like Hasegawa call them, so out with a hairy stick and the RLM 66 and now they are done.  Tomorrow morning IS matt varnish time. :thumbsup:

Finally  pushed this one over the finishing line, I can stop wrestling the tail wheel back from the carpet monster, how many time did I drop the thing.  I was going to add the R/T wire but I thought that I had pushed my luck already putting the bombs on by the third time. :swear:

IMG_1292

• Like 1