Battle of Britain Junkers Ju 87B Stuka

Retired Bob

Having not built a Stuka for nearly 50 years I thought joining this GB would sort that out, this year is also the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain so I could also start my build of aircraft that took part in that epic battle.  On checking through my stash I had two Hasegawa Stukas, one with resin ski's and this one for the Balkan operation.

IMG_1204

I was going to build it in North African markings, yes with the snake, I have the Peddinghaus set for that, but as I have always wanted an aircraft from 6./St.G 1, their badge has a devil holding a flaming torch and sitting on a bomb, I thought why not.

IMG_1205

The plan is to build it almost straight out the box with just the Eduard zoom to improve the cockpit, Eduard mask to help with the canopy and Quickboost resin machine guns and exhausts to improve those two areas.  I do not want to over complicate this build, that's how I end up not finishing in time.

Let the fun begin.

• Like 13

Do you remember which kit you built 50 years ago?

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The plan is to build it almost straight out the box with just the Eduard zoom to improve the cockpit, Eduard mask to help with the canopy and Quickboost resin machine guns and exhausts to improve those two areas.  I do not want to over complicate this build, that's how I end up not finishing in time.

Sounds very familiar :whistle:

Your selected parts will definitely enhance the model nicely.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Do you remember which kit you built 50 years ago?

Hi Peter, not sure if was a FROG or Revell Ju 87D with a worn white finish over the 70/71 camouflage.

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Sounds very familiar :whistle:

Today's work has already changed that plan, plus my idea not to buy anymore kits until my stash is reduced has been forgotten has I have ordered a new Airfix 1/48 Ju 87B for my "snake" decals. :like:

• Like 1

Today I started on the cockpit, I removed the raised detail on the instrument panel, side panels and radio boxes ready for the Eduard photo etch, the seat and seat armour will need some work to make them more realistic before I paint them RLM 66 black/grey.

IMG_1209

This kit is over 20 years old and as with models of that period there is nothing in the wing behind the landing light lens, the instructions have you fit the wheels into and glue the spats together, I have removed the lower part of the wheel retaining ring so that the wheels can be fitted after clean up and painting.   Hasegawa have moulded the slats with the wings, this results in six lumps where there should just be rods and actuators.  I did think about ignoring these since they are on the underside, but that's what chisels and scalpels are for and mainly I would know they were there.  Should keep me busy for a couple of hours. 😉

IMG_1207

• Like 2

Been a bit of a delay, but I did not listen to myself when I said I was going to build it OOB.  I sprayed the interior RLM 66 then after the discussion on interior colours I have resprayed it RLM 02, using the RLM 66 as pre-shade.  I cut back the roll cage to remove the armour and modified the seat.  Thanks Greg @Greg Law for the info on the Yahu I/P but I have just touched up the Eduard I/P with some RLM 02.

IMG_1213

I have chopped off the lumpy control actuators and replaced them with some brass rod after re-scribingthe panel lines.  My Airfix Ju 87 arrived a couple of days ago, rather disappointed,  I had read of the shocking amount of injector pin marks and the soft details, the tyres on wheels remind me of ring doughnuts, the tread lines are so soft!  I used the spare propeller and spinner to make my Hasegawa  Stuka a B1, the profiles for this aircraft in both the Kagero and Classic Colours books use a B2 profile but call it a B1.

IMG_1215

Just have to finish off installing the landing light, now where did I put those PE ones I bought at Telford? :hmmm:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great effort on the cockpit and changing the seat does contribute to an authentic look :thumbsup: Did you use the Eduard Steel harness and how was it to fit? I will use them on my build for the first time when I get to that stage. Also the replaced actuator rods look so much better.

Unfortunately there is a lot published which lacks research and accuracy and I too fund the new tool Airfix kit a bit disappointing.

Keep up the good work.

Peter

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great effort on the cockpit and changing the seat does contribute to an authentic look :thumbsup: Did you use the Eduard Steel harness and how was it to fit? I will use them on my build for the first time when I get to that stage. Also the replaced actuator rods look so much better.

Hi Peter, I had no problems with the Eduard seat belts, apart from the usual springiness, but a dab of superglue gel usually holds them where you want them.  The actuator rods were a thing that I had to change, even with them being on the underside and out of sight, but being so pedantic slows my build rate to glacial speed. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Unfortunately there is a lot published which lacks research and accuracy and I too fund the new tool Airfix kit a bit disappointing.

I was rather annoyed when I read up on the various differences between late B1s and early B2s and that the profiles were all B2s, luckily there are photos, rather grainy but at least something to work off.  Pehaps I was expecting too much of the Airfix Ju 87 kit, but after getting the new Eduard P-51 kit and the quality moulding that Eduard have achieved, I can only assume that Airfix are happy to remain producing retro kits with last century's quality. ☹️

• Like 1

The seat looks good. The one in my kit is just as bad. I think I will replace it with one out of the Airfix kit or use the quick boost one. Also the gunners seat doesn't look right. That may have to go as well. Good call on the wings gear. I did the same thing on my old Stuka.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Thanks for showing your approach for improving the wing hinges. I opened up my Hasegawa kit last night and my heart sort of sank when I saw those

It does have that effect on you, when I started this I thought "just build it" and a week later I still haven't got the fuselage glued together.  The other thing with the wings is the empty gap where the landing light goes, I have boxed it in with plastic card, just trying to find a round dished "light" I thought I had one from the spares box but it's too big, I'll just have to make one, more delay!

12 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The seat looks good. The one in my kit is just as bad. I think I will replace it with one out of the Airfix kit or use the quick boost one. Also the gunners seat doesn't look right. That may have to go as well. Good call on the wings gear. I did the same thing on my old Stuka.

That is the kit seat with some stretched sprue added for the frame work, I didn't know it was a canvas seat until Peter @Basilisk mentioned it, so I have removed the chipped effect as canvas doesn't scratch like metal. :penguin: I think the rear side of the gunners seat should be higher, but it's not too bad.  Just trying to make the cockpit a bit more "busy".

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That is the kit seat with some stretched sprue added for the frame work, I didn't know it was a canvas seat until Peter @Basilisk mentioned it, so I have removed the chipped effect as canvas doesn't scratch like metal. :penguin: I think the rear side of the gunners seat should be higher, but it's not too bad.  Just trying to make the cockpit a bit more "busy".

Maybe you should add the chipping once more as I think I got it wrong. After doing some more searching on the web I came across two interesting pictures.

spacer.png

Both pictures are apparently a seat from a Ju 87G. The right side picture does look like the seat as used in the RAF Museum example, but the left seat does certainly not and I have a feeling it s actually a seat from a Berta (or maybe two types of seat had been used in late model Stukas). And one thing is sure, it is not made from canvas!

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Some more done on my Stuka today, happy at last with my cockpit I have glued the fuselage together and sprayed a light coat of RLM 65 to check for any imperfections on the wings and lower engine cowling.

IMG_1218

The wheel spats are just pushed on, the fit of parts is pretty good.  I was almost tempted to buy another....but managed to resist. :unsure:

IMG_1219

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Wings and engine section glued on, I have also attached the siren propeller, the photos show only the starboard one fitted.  The spinner has been painted yellow prior to masking the band, the front and rear will be RLM 71.

IMG_1220

A trial fit of the canopy sections showed a problem with the centre section not fitting over the roll bar, it's too wide and needs about 0.5 mm off each side, it's pretty thin already.

IMG_1222

A careful bit of shaving with my trusty chisel and the canopy now fits.  As I want the pilots canopy open I will apply the masks and paint the canopies as separate parts.

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my absence from this GB, I just stalled with the canopy, on looking at the Eduard masking set and reference material, Eduard simplified things by masking ALL the framing, even the interior parts on the outside of the canopy sections.  Hasegawa give you black? decal strips for the internal frames, so, after buying the Haynes book on the Stuka because of the good reference pictures of the canopy.  I set to with Tamiya masking tape to make my own internal masks, after a day of that I lost the will to live, so I had what was going to be a short break and became involved with a couple of 1/35th King Tigers.

Back with the Stuka, I finished the masking and sprayed the canopy interior with RLM 02, I have sprayed the outside of the canopy sections and the propeller blades and spinner sections with RLM 71 green and the walkways have been sprayed black and masked, ready for upper colour painting.

IMG_1266

Another thing I noticed about the pilots sliding canopy section, there should be a slot in the upper rear edge to fit round the aerial post, so I cut it out prior to painting the canopy.

• Like 1

Sprayed the undersides with RLM 65, I used Mr Hobby paint for the first time along with the levelling thinner and I was very impressed with the cover and the clean up after I had finished.  Now for the splinter camouflage.

IMG_1268

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Good to see that you could sort out the canopy masking challenges and have now some paint on the model :clap2:

I was going to paint the Stuka with the  Colourcoats paint that I had bought, but being enamels I would have had to spray out in the garage.  Being in the North of England in February/March it has been too damp and cold for that, so I tried the Mr Hobby acrylic RLM 65 and I was so impressed I have all the other colours on their way to me, should be here in a day or two and then it's on with the splinter camouflage. :yahoo:

Edited by Retired Bob
removal of spoon??

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Mr Hobby acrylic RLM 65 and I was so impressed I have all the other colours on their way to me,

You've seen the light! Great with their Aqueous Hobby Colour Thinner and brilliant when you can get those fumes outside and use some Mr Levelling Thinner.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I normally use them. For smaller German planes be aware that their Aqueous RLM65 is a bit dark. I find it looks ok on larger planes. I've used it for a long time now.

Hi Greg, I find most of the paint brands of RLM 65 are a bit darker than they should be, I was hoping that the colourcoats enamel would be a better match, just need some decent weather so I can spray in a well ventilated area, Yorkshire should do. 😉