Winter Stuka (1/48 Hasegawa Ju 87D-5)

reini

spacer.png

Yes - that's an F-16 not a Stuka :D It's my paint mule where I tested some possible combinations of clear coats, chipping mediums and paints. I basically tested between Vallejo clear coat and a Tamiya Clear coat, whether to use Chipping medium or not and whether to use Tamiya or Vallejo white paint.

spacer.png

And the winnter was.... Tamiya Clear coat, with Vallejo Chipping medium and Vallejo off-white. Tamiya clear coat offered more protection against the rubbing etc - but also weirdly enough much better paint adhesion than having Vallejo Clear coat. Tamiya on Tamiya was also good, but maybe it stuck too good - I wanted to stay away from thinners etc so that I don't potentially ruin the paintwork. Note that in here I have just quickly smashed wet rough paintbrush across the surface - on the actual model I will start little bit smaller and build up slowly. Real easy to go overboard with this effect.

spacer.png

Loser was Vallejo Clear coat under Vallejo paint with the chipping medium. Granted, the paint had only few hours to cure but still it peeled off very easily and could ruin the whole effect.

To be continued...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

Okay I've put this aside for a bit - something about painting white paint over practically a finished model that feels just wrongs :D But here we go, first squiggly layer on.

spacer.png

Second layer to smoothen things out but still letting the squiggles and green shine a bit through.

spacer.png

Vallejo chipping effect did react a little with the wet paint, but I think we can hide most of the crackles with the weathering and chipping.

spacer.png

Chipping done in the left wing. Paint comes of relatively easy so no force needed.

spacer.png

Chipping done! I was quite heavy handed with the chipping, I intend to tie it all together bit better with the weathering.

spacer.png

I tried to chip more on the front of the wing and in the direction of the movement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My weapons of choice - all came handy to create little bit different kind of chipping. I've put the Tamiya Clear Coat on and I hope it will seal the chipping medium under so that it wont react with the weathering...

• Like 1

spacer.png

I was bit worried how this all wound turn out - but now I'm starting to have fun. So let's make a mess of it! :D Flory Models Weathering Wash Grime & Dark Dirt. Oh, and I applied Tamiya matt coat before applying the wash so that the chipping medium underneath won't get reactivated. Also the wash will stick a little bit more on the matt coat.

spacer.png

Most of the wash wiped off but I've still left some to create dirty tone on the winter paint and blend in all the chipping.

spacer.png

It seems I might be missing a part on the nose? Have to dig around the box...

spacer.png

The other side.

spacer.png

Some of the chipping.

spacer.png

And the bottom.

spacer.png

And all the small bits are being painted too. This might be a stupid question - but D Stuka had metal prop, right? Or was it wood? Just thinking about making some chipping to it...

It is weathered quite a lot - and I still plan to add more specific weathering with oils and other weathering products - but this feels like a project where I can do all kinds of cool weathering on a plane that the tank guys get to do all the time. So I thought I'd make the best out of it :D

Please feel free to comment & offer constructive criticism!

• Like 4

spacer.png

Some weathering on the underside. Not much but just to refine what's already there.

spacer.png

Some additional streaking on the topside with different color.

spacer.png

Exhausts. I tried to achieve '3D' rust effect with some fine sand in the paint.

spacer.png

Underside almost done, bombs are attached, so are the wheels and stuff.

spacer.png

I made a pitot tube out of two different diameter injection needles.

spacer.png

Also the machine gun barrels. Just need to source couple more for the guns.

Getting there, gluing the last bits and then a final weathering with oil paints. :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...