Winter Stuka (1/48 Hasegawa Ju 87D-5)

reini

Hi there!

First GB of the year done (Mustang), time for another :)

This will be my model, once again, like all my 1/48 prop planes, is from my dad's stash. And it will return to my dad's shelf once done. But I get the pleasure to build it and don't have to worry about storing it. Win-win?  :P 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pretty artwork I must say!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite a lot of small sprues! Looks decent, though - Hasegawa kits tend to be pretty good.

spacer.png

Will be doing the winter camo version. Looking forwards painting the splinter camo first and do some weathering with the white winter paint, should be fun!

I will start building this weekend - but probably need to get couple of RLM paints before I can start painting properly.

Thanks for checking this out, feel free to to join the fun & comment & offer constructive feedback!

• Like 13

spacer.png

Cockpit parts ready for assembly. 

spacer.png

I will add some details - like belts from Tamiya tape and probably replace the machine gun turrets.

spacer.png

But for now, cockpit parts are ready for painting. I will get RLM66 tomorrow so I can continue then.

• Like 7

spacer.png

After RLM66 (Vallejo), created some variance and shadows with Tamiya black panel liner.

spacer.png

Also some chipping, first with grey and then silver. But I think I prefer just straight on silver chipping. I was bit heavy handed but my brushes are in a really bad shape - and I forgot to buy new brushes as I visited the 'local' hobby store (in another town) today. Oh well, it will have to do...

spacer.png

Made belts from Tamiya tape and 'painted' them with Tamiya Dark Brown panel liner.

spacer.png

I cant say that the fit was bad as such - it just needed some right tools to get in place :)

spacer.png

The cockpit panel was included as a decal too but I thought it didn't look particularly good so I'd rather paint it.

spacer.png

And here we are, cockpit pretty much done, main fuselage closed up - ready to move on.

Edited by reini
  • Like 14

spacer.png

Nose section was separate.

spacer.png

And went on pretty nicely. It's a long plane!

spacer.png

Some seams, sure. But nothing little sanding wouldn't cure. And little putty, but not much.

spacer.png

I used CA glue for this seam. Should be okay - but the primer will tell...

spacer.png

Fuselage is sanded, need some rescribing and tidying up. 

spacer.png

But still lots more work to do with the wings. The added length of B to D wing is not the tidiest, there was a very noticeable line & ledge. You can still see it on the aileron. Lot's of flash on the wingtip extension too.

All the major components are now glued, just need to tidy them up and glue them together. It will take some time as it is not the smallest of planes and little more complicated. Not my favourite part the sanding, I'm looking towards the painting with this one! And the weathering.

• Like 7

spacer.png

Tail is on.

spacer.png

I always do this. Or NOT do. The holes for the extra bits that go under the wings.

spacer.png

They found their place still. Landing gear joints needed some filler.

spacer.png

Starting to look like a Stuka! :) 

• Like 12

Great work...you have that cockpit looking amazing.

Are the tamiya accent line bottles good and easy to use? I am really thinking about getting black, a brown and maybe a desert colour if they have one? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Great work...you have that cockpit looking amazing.

Are the tamiya accent line bottles good and easy to use? I am really thinking about getting black, a brown and maybe a desert colour if they have one? 

They are very easy. They come with the fine applicator brush on the cap and flow really easy to recesses, great for bringing out details. They stay wet for a while so you can wipe the excess with cotton buds. I use black and dark brown for most, sometimes gray.

• Thanks 1

Just a quick update - all parts are ready for priming. Well, apart from the canopy. My dad said he had some old canopy masks for this plane so I'm waiting for those. I hope they still work okay (15-20 years old), did not look forwards masking the Stuka canopy manually 😅

I think I've made good progress - but truth to be told, it's the painting & weathering I'm really looking forwards with this build :) 

spacer.png

• Like 6

spacer.png

I got the masks!

spacer.png

They seem bit stiff and glue is on the weak side - and they are smoke clear film rather than the yellow tape that seems to be more common nowadays. But other than that, fit was perfect and they seem to do their job :)

spacer.png

Getting ready.

spacer.png

On the final strecth I had minor accident - I was about to glue the landing light onto the wing - but it sunk right in! 😮 Now, last summer I laughed at my dad when he was building I-16. He was about to finish it by gluing the control stick, dipped it in CA glue but the part slipped inside the plane as he was placing it down - never to be seen again :D Glue help it firmly in place somewhere down there. Now I was bit more lucky as I tried again this morning, got the part loose and out of the hole - and is now glued to place.

spacer.png

And here we go - ready to go under the airbrush.

• Like 5

And done! :D

spacer.png

... well, not quite. But that gray basecoat looks awful like white. D-Stuka has nice long wings BTW!

spacer.png

Eduard masks showing their age - few of them lift up a little bit...

spacer.png

I usually do black pre-shading. But I thought I'd try something different. I want a pretty grimy look for this plane so I went with brown.

spacer.png

And here's it after couple coats of RLM65. It worked ok, but should have been little darker. Bit hard to capture on a cell phone pic but it's not as spotty as the wingtip makes it look. I'll let it dry and see if it needs one more coat and go on from there.

• Like 6

On 22/01/2020 at 22:29, Greg Law said:

I will be interested in how you do the winter scheme. 

Me too! :D

My plan is, basically complete the plane as I would normally with decals and such. Gloss coat it couple layers and add chipping medium. Then paint it white and weather it down with the help of chipping medium. Still couple unanswered questions like will I be adding the white with brush or airbrush? Does the chipping medium work OK on these large surfaces? Will the decals last thru all of this? Will it be too messy? Do washes work when there is chipping medium or does it mess everything up? It's bit scary but I'm still anxious to try! There is apparently a paint for this from MiG - but I don't currently have it and my local hobby store doesn't have it so I'm just gonna use Vallejo Off-white.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2020 at 11:01, Greg Law said:

I wonder if light sanding would help to give you a more of a worn appearance. Along with the chipping.

It could. My dad actually used that technique on a Bf 109. Just worried that a true acrylic doesn't sand too well, but maybe I can use Tamiya white.

- - - - - - -

spacer.png

Masked for black green.

spacer.png

Black green has been applied.

spacer.png

This is where we are at now. Minor touch ups and clear coat it for the decals.

• Like 9

Comes along nicely. Just not sure about your RLM 70/71 paints as the contrast between them is mighty big.

I realize that most will be hidden under the white paint and I look forward seeing how you handle this task.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

New 70/71 has very little contrast, but 71 lightens more with time. So if you are doing an immaculate fresh-from-the-factory aircraft then yes the contrast is a bit high, whereas if you are doing a battered service veteran then it could even be too low.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

New 70/71 has very little contrast, but 71 lightens more with time. So if you are doing an immaculate fresh-from-the-factory aircraft then yes the contrast is a bit high, whereas if you are doing a battered service veteran then it could even be too low.

Colors are Vallejo Air RLM 70 & RLM71, Black Green and Dark Green. I am going for battle worn veteran so I hope it will look the part in the end. 

Thanks for the info though, I trusted Vallejo color suggestions blindly. Should do more research...

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Nice work. Looks like I have a pretty good build infront of me, as the D-8 uses pretty much the same sprues bar a few parts.

Yes, it's a great kit for sure! Highly recommended.

spacer.png

Decals on! Half way there. It was about this stage I started questioning my choice on putting on all the decals at this time - instead of after the winter camo paint. But I will try my best paint around them and dig the decals from under a paint if need be. Not sure how it was done in real life - but I would assume that just in the same way rather than repainting the markings and stencils. Hopefully in can re-create that in this scale... bit scared but lets move ahead! :D 

spacer.png

Decals done :) 

spacer.png

Also painted most of the additional parts.

spacer.png

My progress with the Stuka has probably slowed down a bit since the fast start - the reason is the Nordic GB :D  I have three builds going on there - plus a small Starfighter that needs to be done. But I've been busy today, doing some work on all these models :)

• Like 4