Avro Shackleton MR1, 120 Sqn. Conversion 1/72nd scale

Mr T

WOW,.... That looks fantastic and wearing the best scheme worn by that variant too. I have one of these to build myself this year some time,...... I hope that it looks as good,..... was it a pretty easy build?

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

WOW,.... That looks fantastic and wearing the best scheme worn by that variant too. I have one of these to build myself this year some time,...... I hope that it looks as good,..... was it a pretty easy build?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the comment. By and large it was not too bad, I do not build big planes that often and I think it took me a while to adjust. The basic kit seems sound enough, the only real issues were around the undercarriage bays which need some care to get right and the long seam on the fuselage top. I found the wings and fuselage were quite flexible until everything was joined up as the plastic is non too thick or stiff. The conversion parts were a bit of a mixed bag. The  solid resin for the blunt tail was OK, but the clear nose took some work and was too narrow in width but a bit too deep. I made a cut with a razor saw along the bottom of the nose just below the floor that sorted the latter and failing with Miliput took care of the width issue. The nose radome needs sanding to fit the provided opening but worked OK. I stuck the new nose and tail on with epoxy as it seems to stand handling and fills well and does not fog clear bits. The fit issue I had may not be the same for everyone as it was a big piece of clear resin and resin can do funny things as it cures. The Swift I built last year had avirtually perfect fit of most parts. The kit has a lot of parts and takes a lot of room when building, but I am now largely pleased with it. 

• Like 2

No pre-shade, post-shade, highlighting, lowlighting, marbling, filters, pin wash, overall wash, chipping, oil dots...

What are you doing??? :lol:

It's brilliant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian, just out of interest is that your current cat as your avatar, because it is the spitting image of Wilf our rehomed lost cat. 

Edited by Mr T

15 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks Ian, just out of interest is that your current cat as your avatar, because it is the spitting image of Wilf our rehomed lost cat. 

Sadly not. But I knew one like it once. 

'Wilf' - great name!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:58 PM, Mr T said:

Hi Tony, thanks for the comment. By and large it was not too bad, I do not build big planes that often and I think it took me a while to adjust. The basic kit seems sound enough, the only real issues were around the undercarriage bays which need some care to get right and the long seam on the fuselage top. I found the wings and fuselage were quite flexible until everything was joined up as the plastic is non too thick or stiff. The conversion parts were a bit of a mixed bag. The  solid resin for the blunt tail was OK, but the clear nose took some work and was too narrow in width but a bit too deep. I made a cut with a razor saw along the bottom of the nose just below the floor that sorted the latter and failing with Miliput took care of the width issue. The nose radome needs sanding to fit the provided opening but worked OK. I stuck the new nose and tail on with epoxy as it seems to stand handling and fills well and does not fog clear bits. The fit issue I had may not be the same for everyone as it was a big piece of clear resin and resin can do funny things as it cures. The Swift I built last year had avirtually perfect fit of most parts. The kit has a lot of parts and takes a lot of room when building, but I am now largely pleased with it. 

Thanks for that update mate,..... I will bear all of that in mind when I start mine,

All the best

Tony

Thanks everyone again for all the likes and comments. I am a bit overwhelmed by them as I have never had as much response to a model and I am obviously chuffed to bits at the reception the Shack has received. The MR1 has been on the 'to do' list for a while, I even started the Contrail kit many moons ago, but only got as far as cutting the fuselage out before work took up more time. 

Thanks again. 

Martin 

Edited by Mr T
Blasted autocorrect

I can only second the praises, the model looks so interesting with all the paint bits and details.

It's really fantastic, one of the builds I hardly can stop looking at

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Brilliant job on this MR.1! I have to say that whenever I get around to doing an MR.1 I shall go 'overboard' with the exhaust stains. Yours looks excellent clean as she is, and when I paint my MR.2, I shall do her very clean like yours - factory fresh. However, with my MR.1 I want to show the truly extraordinary amounts of exhaust the Griffons put out.  On some of the early MR.1s, it looks as if the wing is partially burnt. And if anyone questions if I really went overboard, I have many photographs to prove otherwise.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on this MR.1! I have to say that whenever I get around to doing an MR.1 I shall go 'overboard' with the exhaust stains. Yours looks excellent clean as she is, and when I paint my MR.2, I shall do her very clean like yours - factory fresh. However, with my MR.1 I want to show the truly extraordinary amounts of exhaust the Griffons put out.  On some of the early MR.1s, it looks as if the wing is partially burnt. And if anyone questions if I really went overboard, I have many photographs to prove otherwise.

Best Regards,

Jason

You are quite right about the exhaust staining on MR1's, they really did push some muck out. It put me off doing one until I found a 'clean' one at the Royal Review with only about the light staining my has. I feel for the poor souls who had to clean them for the big day!

• Like 1