Avro Shackleton MR1, 120 Sqn. Conversion 1/72nd scale

Mr T

Great to see an early mark of the Shackleton modelled.  I have a soft spot for the Shak, as long as it is a tail sitter.

Very nice modelling and paint scheme.  Well done.

Graeme

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, my reason for a clean looking machine is that it was part of the Royal Review in 1953 and do even the exhaust staining is minimal. Film of the event shows everything being cleaned up to within an inch of its life. I remember the 1977 review when even the tyres were bright and clean. (Actually I do not weather as it takes long enough to build stuff and my stash is large and in 1/72nd I like a cleaner look). 

• Like 6

That is an excellent build.  It is a shame about the masking issue.  It's a bit like Russian roulette.  Sometimes it comes off sharp and other times it just doesn't. I'm still not sure why, other than suspecting it might depend on how long it is on.

• Thanks 1

I love MR.1 Shacks and this conversion has come up beautifully. That must have been one hell of a job to clean all that white paint, can't imagine that would have been fun! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

That’s really beautiful. I too like the clean finish - it’s really refreshing to see a model finished as such.

So many models are, in my humble opinion, totally over and unrealistically weathered as it’s currently ‘in vogue’ so this makes a nice change. Great job!

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottyphbeta said:

Excellent looking model, does the upper turret come with the Airfix kit?

Yes, on the MR2 kit, it is quite nice with feed and ammo boxes, but the cannon are a tight fit. The turret just drops in and can be added at the end. I assume the AEW2 kit has the parts as it is not on a seperate runner. 

Glad you like the model

Edited by Mr T
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Yes, on the MR2 kit, it is quite nice with feed and ammo boxes, but the cannon are a tight fit. The turret just drops in and can be added at the end. I assume the AEW2 kit has the parts as it is not on a desperate runner. 

Glad you like the model

Is that desperate runner a Russian athlete trying to evade the dope-testing authorities?  🤪🤣🙄😖

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That’s really beautiful. I too like the clean finish - it’s really refreshing to see a model finished as such.

So many models are, in my humble opinion, totally over and unrealistically weathered as it’s currently ‘in vogue’ so this makes a nice change. Great job!

Agreed @tomprobert I have this conversion also and one of the colour scheme options is for one of the aeroplanes that appeared at H M The Queen’s Coronation Review of the RAF at Odiham so a pristine finish could be very appropriate.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Stever, the spellchecker on my phone is very quick to correct what I type, it reminds of the alternate personality for Eddie the Shipboard Computer in the Hitchikers Guide. 

I think a couple of the options on the conversion appeared at the Royal Review and they seem a reasonable selection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Stever, the spellchecker on my phone is very quick to correct what I type, it reminds of the alternate personality for Eddie the Shipboard Computer in the Hitchikers Guide. 

I think a couple of the options on the conversion appeared at the Royal Review and they seem a reasonable selection. 

“Auto-incorrect”is a regal pain in the Botox, especially when it comes to technical terms and colloquialisms and sometimes even normal, everyday English.

• Like 1