Hawker Siddeley Kestrel FGA.1 | 1/72 | Airfix parts and lots of putty

For the annual competition in the German "Flugzeugforum", I tried to build one of the 9 Kestrel FGA.1 from various Airfix parts. 

This is the Harrier predecessor, which flew in the TES (Tripartite Evaluation Squadron).

In 1961, the United Kingdom, the United States and West Germany jointly agreed to purchase nine aircraft developed from the P.1127 to evaluate the potential of V/STOL aircraft. These aircraft were designated the Kestrel FGA.1 It was purely a test aircraft, but was slightly more advanced than its continental competitors such as the Mirage "Balzac" or VFW VAK191.

The Tripartite Evaluation Squadron consisted of ten pilots; four each from Great Britain and the USA, and two from West Germany (Colonel Gerhard Barkhorn and Lieutenant V. Suhr). The Kestrel made its maiden flight on 7 March 1964.

A total of 960 missions were performed, including 1,366 takeoffs and landings by the end of the test in November 1965.
One aircraft was lost in an accident, six were subsequently transferred to the United States, received the U.S. designation XV-6A Kestrel and were tested there by the Air Force and Navy. The two Kestrels remaining in the United Kingdom went to RAE Bedford for further tests and experiments, and then to museums.

The experience gained was so positive throughout that the Harrier Force was launched. The first three GR.1s also looked quite similar to the Kestrels, but were later modified.

But of course there is no kit of them (except a long out of stock and a bit clumsy resin block from a manufacturer unknown to me, Aardvark Aviation), but there are plenty of Harrier kits of later versions and one of an early P.1127, the first plane with Pegasus engine. This P.1127 kit is from 1963, but was reissued by Airfix in 2000. Nice retro box, bad contents. The GR.1, the first operational Harrier, was re-released by Airfix in 2013, and this seemed to be a Harrier kit that could have been a lot of fun...

If I hadn't cut them both up to make a Kestrel that doesn't have much to do with either the Harrier or the P.1127. Actually, I was building a prototype of an original test model here, Airfix only supplied the skeletons. 

The whole construction misery is documented here in English and here in German.

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not posting this to advertise the voting. That's only possible anyway if one has been an active member of FlugzeugForum for a longer time. 
I just think that the Kestrel was a very important part of British aviation history after all, and I think that it actually deserves its own model. And that my realization here is bound to please some people, or maybe motivate them to do it better.

spacer.png

Edited by nexus11
  • Like 39

And yes, the front wheel is in the wrong position in the pictures. But just there, I made them in great hurry to publish the pictures in time to meet the competition's regulations…
In my shelf everything is as it is supposed to be.

That is a very nice end result. I do wonder what might have happened had Germany decided to purchase/build Harriers.

I'm sure there could have been some great markings on those aircraft, which would have made for some lovely models.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Great to see this model - with wheels down.

Yessss… that was my humble goal from the beginning.

But aren't You the gentleman with the decals that do not exist? https://www.flugzeugforum.de/threads/wb-2019-bb-hawker-siddeley-kestrel-fga-1-airfix-1-72.91881/post-2658065

your decals were recommended to me, but they weren't available anywhere. But why publish decals if there is no model for them. Which is a pity, because especially the TES roundels are very unusual. And pretty, in a way. Maybe we can bring the Kestrel back in focus together…

Edited by nexus11
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent job Nexus. Well done for persevering with the project until the end. I have done a few of these heavy conversion builds myself that can take over a year to complete (in fact my Viper jet Shackleton Mr. 3 took around 5 years to finally finish and the week I finished it Revell announced they were doing that exact version in a kit!). I agree with you that the Kestrel would make an excellent kit and fill a gap, preferably in 1/48 though.

Ian

• Like 1