Undercarriage colour on Skyraider AD5?

Neil.C

A USN AD-5? I don't recall seeing any photos of a glossy sea blue AD-5 with anything other than the same color in the wheel bays, inside surface of the fairing doors, and gear struts; sometimes the struts can be seen in aluminum paint. The USN gull grey/white AD's  did have white wheel bays, doors, and struts, as that was the underside color; the USAF A-1E's had the wheel bays, doors,  and struts painted in the same color as the underside, FS36622. Maybe @Tailspin Turtle would be the man to ask.

Mike

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I'm using the dark gloss blue livery on my Navy Skyraider and the undercarriage is white.

Gloss or matt?

Maybe white on a warbird but on AD-5s almost certainly the same color as the exterior on one in service before the change to gray/white. Note that there were blue Navy airplanes with white struts or doors but these were generally night fighters after the war and Grumman AF Guardians to some extent (which is why I wrote “almost certainly”) so the deck crew preparing them for launch at night had a better chance at avoiding the turning propeller...

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Maybe white on a warbird but on AD-5s almost certainly the same color as the exterior on one in service before the change to gray/white. Note that there were blue Navy airplanes with white struts or doors but these were generally night fighters after the war and Grumman AF Guardians to some extent (which is why I wrote “almost certainly”) so the deck crew preparing them for launch at night had a better chance at avoiding the turning propeller...

Thanks TT.

The model I am making is a Marines AD-5 from VMA 332, North Carolina, 1953.

I think the white undercarriage will look dashing against the dark blue.  I'll see what I have. 

spacer.png

Edited by Neil.C
  • Like 1

And neither did the AD-5 it is painted and configured to closely resemble. Google “VMA-322 AD-5”: it will be the one with Tiny Tims on the big wing pylons instead of drop tanks. Or click on this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/12392934025

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Add link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Interesting - the warbird that box art is based on doesn’t have white landing gear! Google N62466

It's what is in the painting instructions.  🤔 Perhaps they did it later when no one was looking. 😁

What colour would you suggest for undercarriage and wheel wells?

2 hours ago, Neil.C said:

It's what is in the painting instructions.  🤔 Perhaps they did it later when no one was looking. 😁

What colour would you suggest for undercarriage and wheel wells?

The same gloss blue as the exterior color. The outboard side of the wheel hub could be "steel" or blue.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The same gloss blue as the exterior color. The outboard side of the wheel hub could be "steel" or blue.

Thank you.

That will make the paint job a bit easier!

On 1/11/2020 at 10:02 AM, Neil.C said:

I'm using the dark gloss blue livery on my Navy Skyraider and the undercarriage is white.

Gloss or matt?

Neil.C,

Found these in my A-1 reference directory. Not to many but had a few. Here are a few and appear to have dark color undercarriage even though the images are mostly black and white.

AD5NVC33 adtaxi87 adtaxi872 AD-5Npark AD-5-ProjectPaintScheme

The above picture is one that I have plans to build and have the (I think) Caracal sheet. Yes Caracal CD48050. This adds to your info log. Hope it helps

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Whitewall tires? Did they get a spare from a 1955 hudson hornet?

The catapult hooks were on the landing gear struts of the AD-5. Given the fact that a big prop was turning only several feet away, being able to easily reference the location of the tire when hooking an AD-5N up to the catapult at night was a good idea. When the strut rotated to house the wheel in the wing, the whitewall was facing upward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2