1/72 Revell Tornado GR1

This is the first finish of 2020, a Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 finished in 1998 17 Sqn colours from Bruggen. Built OOB except for the ubiquitous PJ Productions resin crew mates. Painted with Hataka modern RAF paints.

The decals are the stock ones and didn't want to sit very well even on a very glossy surface and with lashings of microsol/microset. However not too displeased with the finished result :)

Base is made from a beechwood kitchen draw front.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Thank you :)

I copied the badge from the interweb thingy then printed it onto clear inkjet decal paper.  had to paint in the white section underneath first (hence you can see I missed the edges slightly!).

2 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

A very nice Tornado, a year before 17 Sqn disbanded on the type.

Nitpicking to be sure, but any chance of adding the Umlaut to RAF Brüggen on the base?

I would if I could, but my keyboard doesn't have that option I'm afraid. To be honest in my 3 years there it was spelled both ways on various badges and signs. I think it depended on whether they were printed by Brits or Germans. I even saw an official letter addressed to RAF Elmpt once!

Look in Character Map (Windows 10, but I'll bet there are equivalents elsewhere).  Lower case u with an umlaut is U+00FC, or ü.

It's a very useful tool to have on your tool bar, it's then just a matter of remembering to use it...  Excuse guilty embarrassment here.

6 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Very nice build, great job. You don't see a 17 Sqn aircraft modeled very often.

The Skyshadow and Boz pods should be switched over though.

I originally had the pods on the opposite wings until I saw this photo of ZA462 taken 10/7/98 on ABPic site showing the pods apparently switched over? https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1328334

Not sure why this would be, not being a techie, but thought I would model it as in the picture.

9 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Very nice build, great job. You don't see a 17 Sqn aircraft modeled very often.

The Skyshadow and Boz pods should be switched over though.

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

I originally had the pods on the opposite wings until I saw this photo of ZA462 taken 10/7/98 on ABPic site showing the pods apparently switched over? https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1328334

Not sure why this would be, not being a techie, but thought I would model it as in the picture.

Excellent build Matt coupled with a very neat display stand as well 

Although it's in the GR Mk.4 guise (below) RAF Tornados did sometimes fly with BOZ Pods fitted to both outboard pylons which may also be the fit represented in your photograph: 

spacer.png

More knowledgeable heads can probably confirm this but you may find that the only the port side pylon is wired for the Sky Shadow pod. 

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Richard E said:

Excellent build Matt coupled with a very neat display stand as well 

Although it's in the GR Mk.4 guise (below) RAF Tornados did sometimes fly with BOZ Pods fitted to both outboard pylons which may also be the fit represented in your photograph: 

spacer.png

More knowledgeable heads can probably confirm this but you may find that the only the port side pylon is wired for the Sky Shadow pod. 

Both pictures show non operational ballast BOZ pods on the port outboard, which could be carried (notice the sealed in back end). On an operational pod as the one on the stbd pylon above, has the flare pack opening angled to eject to the right. So operational pods when paired with the Skyshadow were always on the stbd wing and ECM on the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm the double BOZ fitting.  In the ‘90s at Brüggen we frequently carried 2 BOZ pods: I don’t recall us having dummies back then and the pods fitted to the left wing were empty BOZ pods.  We preferred to have outer stores fitted on the wings as it reduced wing fatigue at the root and allowed us to pull more G than leaving the outer without.  At the time, there was a dearth of Skyshadow pods and their flight time became limited: indeed I went on a Cope Thunder Exercise in Alaska where we only flew with the double BOZ fit.

I love your Tornado, and I think you’ve mounted it on a beautiful base.  The 17(F) Squadron Badge was always a most attractive one and though I never served on that Squadron, I flew with them many times and did 2 detachments with them too.  You’ve got an excellent model to display there sir!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always presumed that mounting the ecm pod thus (ditto on the jaguar) created a problem of the airframe masking its emissions to starboard-  especially when at low level with only a couple hundred feet vertical separation to the radar source. Would that be the case?