BF109 G6 Fug 217 test plane 1/72 Italeri

Hello everyone

Its finished I think, I'd like to spend a little more time on this but for now I'm calling it finished. This build took too much out of me. Starting with the kit by Italeri which I have to say is just average, with quite a few accuracy issues and build quality assembly harder than it needed to be. I did like the detail that was present though. This is my 3rd 109 and I've been buying kits from different manufacturers to see how they compare and this has been my least favourite, so I won't be buying another Italeri for a while, although I did buy a Me410 from Italeri before starting this one. Needless to say I won't looking at building that one for a little while I think.

Apart from the ridiculous time needed for this build mainly due to fit issues, I had so much sanding and trimming to get things to go togethor as well as look right. Painting came up pretty nice (in my opinion) for my novice hands at air brushing and given I was getting extremely frustrated with this build I decided to use it as a test platform to test some airbrushing techniques, so it wasn't a total loss I was pleased with that. Then cam the final coat of matt clear. What else could go wrong! well when the clear dried it came up frosty. Now a little more sanding and respraying  fixed that but I'm not going to do another coat of clear, too exhausted. Maybe another time when I've regained some sanity. 😖

The original plane pics are here as part of a colour discussion.

Anyway here is my version of the test plane used to test the Fug217 radar system this eventually being used on 30 or so 109's and FW190's any various configurations. I only had to source photo's to go by and they weren't very good quality but none the less I did want to give it a similar apearance, although probably grittier than in real life but that was ok because I did like the look of the plane in those photo's.

20200111_200031

20200111_200108

20200111_200303

20200111_200342

20200111_200418

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1