Agusta-Bell AH-1 - Italeri 1/72

CedB

A Cedicopter and it’s taken me until page 3 to even get to the door.  In my defence I was working on Saturday, M’Lud.

The Sioux was on my “love to fly one” bucket list for some reason, along with the Huey.  I managed the latter (an RNZAF one in Singapore - I have a Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1 in my stash for that reason), but not the former, alas.  

Nice start.  But since you’ve found all those strip down detailed shots, there’s little excuse for not breaking out the brass for some detail...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nice start.  But since you’ve found all those strip down detailed shots, there’s little excuse for not breaking out the brass for some detail...

Crisp, you forgot to end your sentence with this :devil: and this :whistle:

:D  :D

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think "some detail" is something of an understatement when it comes to describing an entire tail boom... :devil: :whistle: 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Goodly good Ced, I wish I had kept mine now

I was bound to get round to it one day

Wasn't I?

I looked in the Rotary walkarounds for this and was shcked at how poorly the dear little 47 has been treated

Nice pictures of the cockpit, nothing at all about how the clockwork mouse's clockwork looks

Next time I get to Weston I have a mission, I wonder if Julien needs my few for the 'Mouse' now?

Thanks Bill :) Plenty of pictures on the historic site!

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Beautiful engine, Ced :clap: How much of this is going to be visible?

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) To quote a famous magician 'Not a lot'.

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A Cedicopter and it’s taken me until page 3 to even get to the door.  In my defence I was working on Saturday, M’Lud.

The Sioux was on my “love to fly one” bucket list for some reason, along with the Huey.  I managed the latter (an RNZAF one in Singapore - I have a Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1 in my stash for that reason), but not the former, alas.  

Ah, there you are :) Glad you survived the weekend.

'Some detail'? :hmmm:

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Crisp, you forgot to end your sentence with this :devil: and this :whistle:

:D  :D

Ciao

Exactly, thanks Giorgio :) 

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I think "some detail" is something of an understatement when it comes to describing an entire tail boom... :devil: :whistle: 

Precisely Andy, thanks :D 

18 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Perhaps if I’d concentrated more on the modelling and less in the drinking of the beer (Black Sheep for me) I wouldn’t be stuck on page 3 (!) with the model half built...

Thanks Brian - I think 'half built' might be an exaggeration! :) 

Historic Army Aircraft Flight (HAAF) shows the fan is creamy yellow so that was done and the Nuln Oil splashed on:

49379445297_849d183432_z.jpg

Definitely finished with the engine now.

Time to start on the tail boom with the flash sanders:

49379482961_06a052556a_z.jpg

Before shot.

It'll need more when removed so my plan to paint on the sprue is foiled…

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

To quote a famous magician 'Not a lot'.

I asked because I was going to suggest a dark wash, but probably better doing it once it's in place. You beat me to it, anyway - good job :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Been looking for these since you started Ced, only just found them!  Odiham families day a few years back;

DSCF7238

DSCF7233

DSCF7257

I have a few more detail shots, if you'd like them could you PM me your email address (thought I had it tbh) to save faffing around with flickr

Keith

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith - great shots! :) 

I think I have all I need in the 34 shots I downloaded from the HAAF FaceBook page - finger crossed.

Anyone any idea what the blue and beige interiors are in Humbrol? :D  

• Like 1

Some good news!

Remember we had an insurance claim refused for Molly's treatment recently?

I complained.

Yesterday an email arrived from the company and my face (and other parts) dropped…

But they've upheld the complaint and paid! Money in the bank this morning. Woo hoo!

Remember I was lusting after some of Vincent's Hobby Elements 'micro flat files'?

I wanted them for the intakes on the 410 and I could certainly have done with them for this:

49383478912_6ae1274747_z.jpg

The 'Molding Flash Sanders' made a good job of it but you can see there are still some bits that need attention.

So with the claim money I've treated myself and ordered some 2mm and 4mm flat files and a set of 3mm sabres to get into corners.

They won't arrive in time for this but it's not the only job recently where they would have 'paid for themselves'.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it…

I need to get the 410 masked and sprayed so these have been put aside for now:

49383481262_3c04183e91_z.jpg

Oooh Ambassador, with this box you are spoiling us :D 

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh Ambassador, with this box you are spoiling us :D 

Showing off, now - some of us have to make do with Tesco's ready-meal and bakery tubs, not la-di-da choccie boxes....

....despite the OH being particularly partial to knobbly spheroid-shape confectionery, in both gold and white wrappers...

Edited by andyf117
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm sure it won't be long before this is back on the bench....

Ian

Thanks Ian :) Temporarily this morning - see below.

23 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Showing off, now - some of us have to make do with Tesco's ready-meal and bakery tubs, not la-di-da choccie boxes....

....despite the OH being particularly partial to knobbly spheroid-shape confectionery, in both gold and white wrappers...

Thanks Andy - someone gave them to us for Xmas, honest! :D 

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Weren’t they a Prog Rock band?

22 hours ago, andyf117 said:

One-hit wonders - their popularity (brief as it was) faded when they changed their name to the correct spelling...

"nobbly spheriod" - never heard of 'em :D 

While I was scraping flash off the 410 aerials this morning I thought 'Ah, I could do that on the Sioux tail boom'. Madness.

After 'some time' my eyes are now completely crossed but the parts are cleaner:

49387993183_0a516cce9d_z.jpg

49388003663_16bb1f3756_z.jpg

Can't wait for my micro files, in both senses of the phrase.

Vincent's a one-man band and has his tools made in batches.

Hopefully I'll get lucky but I need to be prepared for a wait of up to eight weeks :weep:

• Like 10

Thanks Bill - appreciated! :) 

Internal colours :hmmm:

My Mac has a 'Digital Colour Meter' so I tried that:

49388077588_e60ca4e9af_n.jpg 49388759317_2ca737ab22_n.jpg

Well, that's the rough RGB values but I need iModelKit to tell me what to mix and I need to get the photo in there…

Standby. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill - appreciated! :) 

Internal colours :hmmm:

Well, that's the rough RGB values but I need iModelKit to tell me what to mix and I need to get the photo in there…

Standby.

You can enter RGB values here, and get approximate matches to known colours:

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Convert_RGB.asp

Only Pantone values come up for the Blue-Grey, but there's a 2-star FS/AMS 595 match for the brown (36145)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Andy - useful site; bookmarked! :) 

If I fiddle with the area of the photo the blue comes back as 'Azure Blue' and I think I have something like that - Vallejo 71.108.

I'll have a look at it later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Andy - useful site; bookmarked! :)

It is indeed - provided me with a surprising alternative for one hard-to-match colour that I needed (all will be revealed in the fullness of time, in due course, when conditions allow, and at the appropriate juncture)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Blimey, I thought you were joking when you asked what colours to use for the blue and beige, because that's just what I would have used - blue & beige....!!!! :rofl:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

iModelKit is brilliant provided you get it to sample exactly the colour you're perceiving (which can be hard on a screen if the machine samples the wrong pixel).  It was iModel Kit that gave me the courage of my convictions to add a splash of green to hime brew RAF Blue Grey (Sea King build)p on eyeball alone I might not have believed me instinct, but it proved to be spot on.

Like that site, though; thanks, Andy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

It is indeed - provided me with a surprising alternative for one hard-to-match colour that I needed (all will be revealed in the fullness of time, in due course, when conditions allow, and at the appropriate juncture)...

Thanks Andy :) 

57 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Blimey, I thought you were joking when you asked what colours to use for the blue and beige, because that's just what I would have used - blue & beige....!!!! :rofl:

Keith

Ah yes Keith, but which blue? :)  See below.

49 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

iModelKit is brilliant provided you get it to sample exactly the colour you're perceiving (which can be hard on a screen if the machine samples the wrong pixel).  It was iModel Kit that gave me the courage of my convictions to add a splash of green to hime brew RAF Blue Grey (Sea King build)p on eyeball alone I might not have believed me instinct, but it proved to be spot on.

Like that site, though; thanks, Andy

I'm with you Crisp - I don't really get how paints mix to provide specific colours so I need a place to start :)

Like Azure Blue.

When I picked up the bottle it looked too light so I grabbed some other blues and did the plastic spoon test:

49389106723_9ccc203868_z.jpg

I'll let them dry and then decide, but I think the 71.266 RLM24 is looking favourite.

• Like 6