Agusta-Bell AH-1 - Italeri 1/72

CedB

7 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

What? Watney`s Red Barrel?

I've never, ever liked British beer, of any variety - never been a fan of European lagers either....

....but whilst managing Mildenhall's Officer's Club bar, I developed a taste for American beer...

....not often drunk it since, but for a few years, I did enjoy a Bud 66 - I've a very sweet tooth...

....then they went and discontinued it - except, apparently, in Paraguay, where it's still brewed!

• Like 4

Flipping heck, page two already & the scrum has begun to form. This is another I've in stock so I daren't not look on least I miss something important, like, leave it in stock. ;) :D  Carry on Ced, I'se all eyes. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice to see you doing a chopper.  Now, will this hang from the ceiling or another one for the shelf?

While I normally build 72nd scale I do actually have a 35th scale kit and a conversion set to do the Batcopter from the old Adam West TV show/movie.  One of these days.

• Like 3

" I'm going to get a Tardis to do the timey wimey thing and fast forward and get to the first page of your next build before you even start on  it!"

Well that cunning plan failed, damn those interfering Cybermen!

Page 2, Not too bad and did someone mention beer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome newcomers and thanks to Simon for running the bar - mine's a Butcombe Original please!

So, assuming we're all still sober (doubtful) what have we been saying over the past day…

On 11/01/2020 at 11:26, perdu said:

Ced Mon Ami, I will only exhort you to remember

It is an ITALERCOPTER

Just saying

I will be happy to display mine if you are displaying yours...

😉

😇

Er, thanks Bill, but I know nothing of these things… are "ITALERCOPTER"s special, weird, or just Italian? :shrug:

Beer, beer, beer…

On 11/01/2020 at 11:36, andyf117 said:

1968, RAF 50th at Abingdon - those were the days...

1968 eh? Thanks Andy :) 

On 11/01/2020 at 16:58, limeypilot said:

Ooh, a spinning wing thingy, and from Ced too!

I think there might have been a Watch With Mother called Mr Ced, about a man who disappeared into his room and came out with something different each time!

Or maybe it was The Clangers.... not too sure yet, update soon!

Pint of Spitfire for me, very kind of you Simon!

Ian

Er, thanks Ian :) (Keep an eye on this one Simon, I think he may have 'pre-loaded')

On 11/01/2020 at 17:00, Dandie Dinmont said:

I remember seeing seeing the Blue Eagles doing a display in an Aberdeen park when I was a youngster. The actual display went without incident but the team also had a Westland Scout as a support vehicle which obviously created a greater downdraft than the Sioux. When the Scout departed, the wooden benches at the edges of the park were blown in all directions.  It’s a miracle someone wasn’t flattened by flying furniture. 

If there’s any beer left, I’d love to sit in for this. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig :) Downdraft, a problem with choppers. I watched an episode of 'Helicopter ER' recently where the pilot noticed lots of FOD in the hover so he just hung there until it cleared a bit before landing. Obviously he didn't notice the onlookers running for cover…

19 hours ago, philp said:

Nice to see you doing a chopper.  Now, will this hang from the ceiling or another one for the shelf?

While I normally build 72nd scale I do actually have a 35th scale kit and a conversion set to do the Batcopter from the old Adam West TV show/movie.  One of these days.

Hi Phil :) It'll be in the cabinet. I'm having a clear out soon so there may even be a new one for it to go in.

4 hours ago, Harley John said:

" I'm going to get a Tardis to do the timey wimey thing and fast forward and get to the first page of your next build before you even start on  it!"

Well that cunning plan failed, damn those interfering Cybermen!

Page 2, Not too bad and did someone mention beer?

:rofl2:

While I'm waiting for the 410 to dry and some masking mojo to appear I went back to this little beauty.

I think I'm going to brush paint most of this as it's all fiddly and I'm lazy.

I'm assuming the colours are DE and DG as per WWII camo? The instructions don't say but the reference pictures look like that.

I'll probably spray the fuselage (is that what it's called?) though, after dealing with 'some flash':

49373112443_4bba674226_z.jpg

Got it all down one edge and in little patches. Rats.

I got on with the engine a bit.

As previously noted the instructions say 'silver' and 'flat black' with boring regularity so I want some variation, especially on the rubber and shinier metal bits.

I found some pictures of the Lycoming 435 but they're all a bit shiny and I guess XT131 would have had shiny bits dulled down.

So, blacks:

49373808762_2d722c59e9_z.jpg

I haven't used the Meng much (that I remember) so I thought I'd give it a try on the sump and cooler:

49373656141_b6cc2cac70_z.jpg

I like it. Nice and thin so you can suck it back up with the brush - saves all that dry brushing eh? Nice coverage, fast drying, good stuff.

I then started painting the fan belt rubber black and ping! Even the new tweezers aren't fool proof (not for this fool anyway).

The belt and pulleys are here somewhere:

49373852772_440a07b4d1_z.jpg

Patience.

That's what I lack.

it did give me a chance to review the little visited areas of the bench though, like this lot:

49373881832_fd5b1cf258_z.jpg

It'll all come in - for something…

There you are you leetle deveel:

49373906842_050b9abeee_z.jpg

Now popped back in to its rightful place. Perhaps I should glue it now?

Here we are so far:

49373756591_2ff7aa40b9_z.jpg

Quite like that Meng black. AK dark- and aluminium for the rest.

I'll knock it back with some Nulm Oil later when the other bits are on.

• Like 17

"Whirlybirds" was one of my favorite TV shows, as well.

You indicate you are not considering a photo-etched tail boom. Wise man! But did you consider this instead?

http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2016/03/07/bell-47-h-13s-model-3d-attack-squadron-tail-boom/

Now available from Brengun, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always had a soft spot for the Sioux. Loved them then they were in service and can remember ex Army and Air Force airframes still in pseudo military schemes dusting crops where we lived when I was a teenager. Once visited the stores at Wroughton and there were shed loads of them. Line after line of them all stored up - superb. 

• Like 4

On 1/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, Spookytooth said:

As you wish sir, another great ale.

Simon.

Yup !! For me too !!

Did you have this one ??

IMG_20191214_155909

I'll try to bring one or two like this one for SMW 2021....:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Obviously he didn't notice the onlookers running for cover…

Bet he did.... :whistle:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I'll probably spray the fuselage (is that what it's called?)

I believe it's a tail boom? Are you not thinking of replacing it with much finer soldered brass tubes? I bet that's what Le Baron would have done if he'd kept it...!! :)

K

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well Ced, it`s good to see that the disappearance of a piece makes you find stuff you forgot about.

Steady work as per norm .

Just nipping out to refresh the bar, thirsty lot in on this build.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, especially for running the bar :D 

Drink responsibly you lot - we don't want any spills…

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced, just down the road apiece from you

[snip pictures]

Forgot I had these, might help a little bit

Not all black and silver huh?

Thanks very much Bill, those are really helpful :) 

I'm trying to find out where XT131 is at the moment - I have quite a few views of her 'full frame' but no close ups; if she's at Middle Wallop I'll take a trip.

12 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

"Whirlybirds" was one of my favorite TV shows, as well.

You indicate you are not considering a photo-etched tail boom. Wise man! But did you consider this instead?

http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2016/03/07/bell-47-h-13s-model-3d-attack-squadron-tail-boom/

Now available from Brengun, I think.

Thanks Michael :) Well, that sent me on a browsing chase - in March 2018 'Attack Squadron' was sold and split up apparently; kits to Arma Hobby and AM to Brengun (as you thought). I signed up for news anyway and received an automated email with a discount code for the Arma Hobby internet shop. Pity I've already bought my Hurricanes.

No sign of the tail boom on the Brengun site though (or the discontinued Eduard PE) so I'll have to make do with the kit parts. I think they'll be OK with a clean up.

12 hours ago, petetasker said:

Always had a soft spot for the Sioux. Loved them then they were in service and can remember ex Army and Air Force airframes still in pseudo military schemes dusting crops where we lived when I was a teenager. Once visited the stores at Wroughton and there were shed loads of them. Line after line of them all stored up - superb. 

Me too Pete :) Nice story, thanks.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Yup !! For me too !!

Did you have this one ??

[snip pic]

I'll try to bring one or two like this one for SMW 2021....:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC - I bet that's another strong one isn't it! :D

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello @perdu Dear colleague !

Nice pics and Helpfull !!

are these from Weston super Mare ?

CC

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes the little Sioux was tucked away on a back floor but I found her

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to photograph the other side but most of Ced's needs are visible here

Thanks Bill - my needs are met, thanks again! :) 

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

Mojo’s back then Ced! They are unicorns on them sanding sticks, and I’ve been known to accuse @TheBaron of witchcraft on his builds... turns out the magic was much less dark.

this should be fun! I’m looking forward to it

Rob

Thanks Rob - glad to have you along :) 

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Now I can't stop seeing this... 🤦‍♂️

hqdefault.jpg

'Da helicopter! Da helicopter...'

:rofl2:

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Bet he did.... :whistle:

I believe it's a tail boom? Are you not thinking of replacing it with much finer soldered brass tubes? I bet that's what Le Baron would have done if he'd kept it...!! :)

K

Tail boom, got it, thanks Keith :) 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dang it 2nd page ! ... Any room near the bar or in back by the dart board. 

Hi Dennis - no darts in the wallpaper now :) 

Bill's kind photos allowed me to finish most of the engine:

49377713496_6c25704db0_z.jpg

49377715121_10af403457_z.jpg

49377917087_754718e5e0_z.jpg

… apart from the exhausts which will need some clean up:

49377723326_d16b566926_z.jpg

… along with the other framey bits.

Looks like I'm in for a session with the 'molding flash sanders'.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Well, I was looking for some detailed photos of XT131 as she is now with the Historic Aircraft Flight Trust and went to their website.

I noticed a link to their FaceBook page and went there.

Guess what? In their photo albums they have LOTS of photos of XT131 including her strip down for a major service in 2019.

I now have more than enough reference photos to continue with confidence! :D 

• Like 3

Thanks Bill :) 

Of course on 'the real thing' there's a shaft from the gearbox to the top pulley and the belt drives the fan.

I'm assuming Italeri know what they're doing and left it out 'cos it can't be seen? We'll see later…

Out with the Molding Flash Sanders:

49377646008_1e939c48bc_z.jpg

Pipes cleaned, glued on and given a base coat of 'burnt iron':

49378859492_04dcf76551_z.jpg

Drilled out (of course) and painted with thinned tyre black (for the big one) and flat black for the tiddlers:

49378311623_26426372af_z.jpg

Calling this done:

49378313073_97c4e1e00d_z.jpg

Although it'll probably need some touch ups once it's in.

• Like 9

Goodly good Ced, I wish I had kept mine now

I was bound to get round to it one day

Wasn't I?

I looked in the Rotary walkarounds for this and was shcked at how poorly the dear little 47 has been treated

Nice pictures of the cockpit, nothing at all about how the clockwork mouse's clockwork looks

Next time I get to Weston I have a mission, I wonder if Julien needs my few for the 'Mouse' now?

• Like 1