Museum recommendations

Jasper dog

There's a small museum in Maldon, Essex, which not many know about. It's full of armour through the ages, most of which have been found in the local areas, including bits from one of the B-17's which came down in the Thames estuary. But the piece de resistance as far as I'm concerned, is the Chieftain (Mk.10 I think) parked outside, painted in the Berlin Brigade colours. 

John.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 31/01/2020 at 18:13, Jasper dog said:

Hi, I've been wondering about Muckleburgh, never been and the present Mrs M quite likes Norfolk too.....

Eden camp takes me back, last visited it late 80s  sure it must have changed a bit since then!

Thanks for the recommendations, Muckleburgh is on the list now for some point in time.

Cheers

Darryl 

Just stumbled upon this and can highly recommend Muckleburgh. Not the biggest but has some good kit in there, unusual British armour, T55, artillery etc. Also a nice room filled with well made models and a decent little restaurant/cafe with a park area to look at the sea.

It's very near to Sheringham and that part of the world is great so when we are allowed some normality,it's not a bad place to be. And I'm guessing that everyone is desperate to see somewhere else?!

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for a long weekend trip, I'm going to go for the obvious ones here. How about a full day at Duxford (you won't see everything, but will get a very good taste of the place. Also, rumour has it they are planning to tear down DX's Land Warfare Hall soon - if you like armour, it's worth a look around. I would phone them to check if the hall is still open or not). Then, on the Sunday, you could fit in both the Hendon RAF Museum and the Shuttleworth Collection in one day, if you plan your day very carefully.  I would recommend 4 hours at the RAF Museum, one hour drive up to Shuttleworth and spend however long you have walking around the museum (if you like WW1 stuff, then this place is a "must see", even if it's not the largest museum you will ever visit). 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

PM: If you visit Duxford, I'd recommend taking your own food. From what I've seen of the DX on-site catering, it's expensive and of pretty mediocre quality. Other diners' experiences may differ, of course. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2020 at 09:29, Jasper dog said:

we did Royal Signals on way home last year, fascinating, not really my thing but interesting never the less. 

Oi .... What’s not to like about wiggley amps, path profile and voice procedure :yikes:

• Haha 1

As others have posted, Bovington is now a truly world-class museum (definitely not a dusty shed). There aren't many museums where you can get close to two King Tigers, a fully-working Tiger 1 (only moves on special occasions, mind), a Jadgtiger and a whole load of interesting AFV's. I remember first going there as a kid in the 80's and it has changed enormously since those days. 

Chris. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

As others have posted, Bovington is now a truly world-class museum (definitely not a dusty shed). There aren't many museums where you can get close to two King Tigers, a fully-working Tiger 1 (only moves on special occasions, mind), a Jadgtiger and a whole load of interesting AFV's. I remember first going there as a kid in the 80's and it has changed enormously since those days. 

Chris. 

Same as me really. I went back in the 80s and it was ok but not overly memorable. I revisited in 2016 and was bowled over by the change. The size and quality was a massive improvement. Got to see the Elefant and Tigers and got a bit overdosed on AFVs.😀. Top notch museum, good cafe and a very good shop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Chris. 

40 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Same as me really. I went back in the 80s and it was ok but not overly memorable. I revisited in 2016 and was bowled over by the change. The size and quality was a massive improvement. Got to see the Elefant and Tigers and got a bit overdosed on AFVs.😀. Top notch museum, good cafe and a very good shop.

Bovi is a definite favourite, first went late 70s early 80s with grandad, he transferred from the RAF to the RAC in 44 and spent 44/45 based there, loved it ever since. Quite a change from then till to now!

Btw absolutely right about the cafe!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Oi .... What’s not to like about wiggley amps, path profile and voice procedure :yikes:

Sorry Dan, great line in laminated dashboard signage though!

(For the love of God what ever you do do not park anywhere without that laminated sign on display).

....If only the Reme museum hadn't been closed on a Monday. 😉

Nice brew from the cafe mind!

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2020 at 09:29, Jasper dog said:

we did Royal Signals on way home last year,

And if you had looked really close, you'd have seen my old teleprinter. (You may have to Google that to find out what one of those was).

John.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

And if you had looked really close, you'd have seen my old teleprinter. (You may have to Google that to find out what one of those was).

John.

Think I remember those from the old b&w movies.....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2021 at 09:19, Bullbasket said:

John.

Working for BT I was sent  on a Civil Defence early warning systems course. One of the guys was from the Western Lake District & told me of a visit to Vickers at Walney Island on a Teleprinter fault. When he got there there was an ancient machine & an almost as ancient operator. She saw the guys face as he saw it & suggested he get a cup of tea & a bacon sandwich in the staff canteen & leave his tools. He did so & the telex was fixed when he came back. "I used to service these during the war, I was in the WRNS". Easiest job he ever had!

• Like 1

They're a bit of a treck, but the Midland Air Museum, Coventry and the Newark Aviation Museum are both very good museums. They are fairly small (particularly when compared to Duxford), but both are packed with interesting exhibits.  

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: Whoops! Just realised that the OP was asking about armour museums, primarily!

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Thanks 1

On 25/04/2021 at 20:57, spruecutter96 said:

They're a bit of a treck, by the Midland Air Museum, Coventry and the Newark Aviation Museum are both very good museums. They are fairly small (particularly when compared to Duxford), but both are packed with interesting exhibits.  

can also recommend Newark