He-177 Raid on Lake Chad

Greetings!
In January 1942, Sonderkommando Blaich under the command of Hauptmann Theo Blaich, conducted a daring long range raid against the Free French forces at Lake Chad.  The raid was a success, but on the return flight the HE-111 ran out of fuel and was forced to make an emergency landing deep in the desert.  Several days later, an Italian search plane located the stranded HE-111 and a JU-52 flew in with supplies and fuel.  The stranded aircraft was subsequently refueled and returned to base.
Although the actual aircraft used in the raid was a HE111, I wanted to twist history a bit and depict the aircraft in the Lake Chad raid as a HE-177.
Starting with the ancient Airfix kit I added Falcon vacuum formed canopies, a Hasegawa Kubelwagen,  various decals from the spares bin (including the Sonderkommando Blaich unit badge), figures from Preiser and a desert landscape made from a textured ceiling light panel.    The figures were posed to depict the crew gathered for a group photo in front of their aircraft.  
I had great fun with this build and while it is not historically accurate, I am pleased with the result.  No attempt was made to remedy the faults with the Airfix kit  except for the vacuum formed canopies and some details added to the cockpit.  Almost all of the raised surface details was left in place.
Many thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome!
Cheers,
Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 65
  • Thanks 4

I like that. I've read a bit about the SKB raid on Chad, a daring effort regardless of whose side did it, & have thought of modelling the He 111. I do like your take on it, it works well to my eye, nicely done too. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

No wonder it ran out of fuel, the drag from all those rivet heads would have been horrendous!

A nice diorama, the aircraft looks good in those colours, and I like the desert floor effect. Very realistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jeez, this is full of great ideas! I loved this kit when I built it as a youngster around 1970. It looks amazing in the desert camo. The ceiling panel is a highlight of inventiveness which I will store in my memory for realistic surfaces. Very well done overall!

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone for the kind words!   This old Airfix He-177 kit is a struggle - endless gigantic rivets, raised panel lines, odd contours, poorly fitting parts, hideous seams,. . . .    The Revell kit is much better.  I have not had much luck with making landscapes for displaying models.   I first tried the ceiling light panels about 10 years ago for a seascape and was surprised how well it worked.  These are inexpensive, easy to cut, easily shaped and sanded.   After priming, they seem to take all paints well and can be weathered with just about anything.

Bill

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just the first look at the first photo and I had to say, "Wow!". Great build on both models and the diorama is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Great idea well executed. There are more than a few touches of genius there, the light fixture being one of them! 

Funny how you look at various household items as a modeller, thinking, 'you know, that would make an excellent...' 😂

• Like 2

Just like to add my voice to the praise here - you've done an excellent job with this. Your figure poses are very convincing (as is them being in the shade as mentioned above). A really well executed scene in miniature.

:like:

SD

• Like 1

This is really cool!!  I had a similar idea, but I was going to use an FW 200 Condor for the bomber.  But would Herr Blaich's BF-108 be able to keep pace?

Eduard just released Blaich's Bf-108 in 1/32 scale, what about using Revell's JU-88 in 1/32?

Edited by CMSCHLOM