Another Hybrid Horse

Cookenbacher

Seems that Cookenbacher found a way to build an P-51B. Wonder howe long we have to wait for an Arma Hobby Mustang now? If we build them they come...

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, John Laidlaw said:

And definitely inspirational to us mortals!

Ha! Well, in the last few months I have shaken hands with several illustrious Britmodellers (including yourself John), and as Procopius professes, absorbed some modelling prowess each time.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, giemme said:

Looking very good, Cookie :clap:

One should always have an INCIDO at hand ... :winkgrin: :D

Thanks Giorgio, I've found a place of my own in LA and should have a permanent bench soon - INCIDO and all.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:30 AM, srkirad said:

Looking very nice after "transplantation" - I wouldn't be so brave to do this kind of surgery.

You sanded down now all those raised panel lines? I think it would be the best way to go for proper rescribing.

I tried to use the raised panel lines as guides for the scriber before sanding them down, but they ended up pretty wavy.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, Ratch said:

Good work :thumbsup:

On 1/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, Andwil said:

It may not be easy, but you make it look easy.  Very impressive work.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, Thom216 said:

Indeed, quite a good looking graft.

Thanks Ratch, AW and Thom!

On 1/20/2020 at 9:23 PM, Andre B said:

Seems that Cookenbacher found a way to build an P-51B. Wonder howe long we have to wait for an Arma Hobby Mustang now? If we build them they come...

Oh man, if Arma comes out with a high back Mustang, I'll buy half a dozen.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:09 PM, Graeme H said:

Just catching up with this one, interesting way to build a B/C, looking very convincing though

Thanks Graeme, I already think this method is better than my previous effort cross kitting the Hasegawa and Academy high backs.

It may be a week or so before the next update due to a house move next week.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Giorgio, I've found a place of my own in LA and should have a permanent bench soon - INCIDO and all.

That is Great News! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Er... what is an INCIDO? :blush:

Ah, it's a very, very technological tool: basically a sewing needle in a hobby knife handle, useful to precisely scribe lines on plastic. The idea came originally from @Fritag, I came up with the name, which is Italian for "I scribe".

Simples :D

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ah, it's a very, very technological tool: basically a sewing needle in a hobby knife handle, useful to precisely scribe lines on plastic. The idea came originally from @Fritag, I came up with the name, which is Italian for "I scribe".

Wonderful! Thanks Giorgio.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, in the last few months I have shaken hands with several illustrious Britmodellers (including yourself John), and as Procopius professes, absorbed some modelling prowess each time.

Good luck will rub off when I shakes hands with you (name that movie!). It was a pleasure to meet you, Cookie!

Hope the move goes smoothly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Giorgio!

I had to build the landing gear bays on the Monogram wing.

Y0FHrtiJ_o.jpg

Just some plasticard and a couple oversized ribs to try and hide the join between  card and the wing. Also managed a couple glue fingerprints, you know, for luck.

And then added some stringers made from thin plastic rod, and I remembered to paint it YZC first.

pyS9LZOM_o.jpg

It's not particularly accurate, but it'll do I hope, just to look busy enough.

• Like 9

Nice bench Cookie!

22 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I don't think I'll have enough time to finish this one before the GB deadline, but I'll do my best.

All the better for finishing the pony! ;)

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:07 AM, John Laidlaw said:

Good luck will rub off when I shakes hands with you (name that movie!). It was a pleasure to meet you, Cookie!

It was a pleasure to meet you as well John!

I had to do a web search on the movie quote, then of course I remembered - had that song stuck in my head many a time!

I scribed the wing panels with my newly unpacked Incido using the raised lines as guides, and then sanded the rest.

kF18wHd0_o.jpg

Sorry the pic is washed out, my new lamp is pretty bright - still getting used to it.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't given up on this one, although I doubt it will be finished before midinight😀.

Acrylic paint as filler:

e7JO3Dbn_o.jpg

Sanded down and more acrylic paint as filler, black this time.

pMPK4Y14_o.jpg

In a little haste, I went ahead and added the wings, taping on the original removed flaps to help with alignment.

ZpXoUztn_o.jpg

You can clearly see how the wing roots differ on the B/C vs D models.

taW8c2gW_o.jpg

I had to do quite a bit of sanding, filing and then refilling in order to get everything to fit, and I'm a little disappointed with the resulting dihedral, but I can live with it.

A bunch of plastic card stuck in the gap at the wing attachment.

fg2CIUvP_o.jpg

Sanded smooth.

jYM8Apcy_o.jpg

I'll keep updating the build here and then post in the regular RFI when it's done.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

I doubt it will be finished before midinight

Don't see why not Cookie... ;)

Which makes me think, if the STGB ends at midnight tomorrow @Enzo Matrix, is that my midnight (UK)? Which time zone is that based on? Is it midnight at 'Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions, where nobody goes', and does this give some an advantage?

(looking very good Cookie!)

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Which makes me think, if the STGB ends at midnight tomorrow @Enzo Matrix, is that my midnight (UK)? Which time zone is that based on? Is it midnight at 'Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions, where nobody goes', and does this give some an advantage?

It's midnight UK time. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, some progress to share - added the flaps:

fesSEwle_o.jpg

The high back Mustangs had slightly different panel lines under the nose, so I filled one and scribed another:

LfLDCiGW_o.jpg

Primer on.

tA5AlKVB_o.jpg

YeEpyGcD_o.jpg

Still plenty of filling, sanding and scribing to do.

• Like 7