Straight in and no messing! - Johnny Red's Hurricane

Hi folks

PvwqSbY.jpg

As you may pick up from the image above, I've got some bad news... I've decided to shelf of doom this kit... 

After making decent progress with this kit, I made some critical errors which despite my best efforts, I'm unable to repair... The issue: 

7dCl3N8.jpg?1

Turns out this gap in front of the cockpit came back to haunt me - basically it opened up again - probably forced open by the ill fitting cockpit - no big deal I thought - lots of things I can do to fix it... I filled it with CA glue, sanded it back - then applied some putty - this seemed to fix the problem: 

1rveiKk.jpg

SjCpbD2.jpg

The above pic is after a paint test and then the area was re-scribed and polished up. However, the problem came when I went to install the canopy - as you can see, because of all of my sanding, I had completely flattened out the whole area - this area has a definite curve - and as a result the canopy didn't fit properly - correction, it fit fine but didn't look at all right - So I attempted to reinstate the curve by applying more putty and sanding it into shape - I was unable to do this - I just couldn't get the shape right -  I then tried using milliput: 

AoFRvFF.jpg

And tried to sand this into the correct shape: 

2j7g0fl.jpg

PyPO7aS.jpg

This worked better but still along way from perfect... to try and get the shape 100% correct is just very difficult - If I got it even 80% there, I'd be happy but this is at best 40%.  

I would have been prepared to over look some issues, maybe somewhere else of the airframe, - but to me, this area is a focal point for the model - and a problem of this magnitude is enough to ruin it for me.  I'm very upset about this - this will be the first time I've abandoned a kit since I returned to the hobby - but to fix this issue is just beyond my capabilities at the moment. 

It's not a problem with the kit - this was entirely my own fault - I'll never go hard on sanding in this area again so at least I learned something. However, I refuse to let this be the end. I've ordered another kit so although this is the end of this kit, it's not the end of this thread! I still want my Johnny Red Hurricane, so I'll just start this again when the new kit arrives. It might be a few weeks but I'll get this bugger done :) I know where the pit falls of this kit are so having another crack will mean I can avoid them next time round. 

We'll pick this up again in 2-3 weeks - In the meantime, I've started a another hurricane - the Airfix 1/48 trop so look out for a WIP on that soon :)

Cheers

John

• Sad 8

Nooo! Maybe you could turn this one into the flaming wreck in your picture? No idea how you'd do the flames though... The first model i made when i returned to the hobby was a p51 which i made such a mess of i straight away bought another one and redid it... to some extent i still feel that way when i finish a model now, the redo would always be better! Anyway, looking forward to seeing this one rise like a phoenix, it'll be worth it in the end!

• Like 1

Well darn, that's a kick in the guts! 😧

Is it worth completing the build alone just to see if there are any other tricks or pitfalls with the kit? I can't imagine anything more frustrating than avoiding one problem just to encounter another later down the line with a second build.

I must say, while these new generations of Eastern European kits are gorgeously moulded and superbly accurate, their instructions often require a degree of clairvoyance to interpret correctly.

I'm sure the end result will be very much worth the effort though! 😎

• Like 1

@SaminCam @Gazontipede Thanks guys - as far as completing the kit - this was the Last job before primer so the build was just about there - I have a pretty good idea of where I went wrong with the cockpit construction - which was my downfall on this build -so I’m actually quite eager to do a better job on the next one - it is a nice kit which is why I want another go at it - as I know it will result in a lovely model. 

This one will probably become a paint mule - something I can use to test techniques with - I really want to improve my chipping technique so this will be v useful for that. 

The other main factor in my decision to stop was my ever higher standards - Me, the modeler from a year ago probably would have accepted the flaw and soldiered on - but I’ve built enough models now to know that certain flaws will always bug me. And that will spoil my enjoyment of the model evermore. And at the end of the day, I’m building these things for my own enjoyment- and if I can’t enjoy looking at them, then what’s the point spending time on it - I spent about 20 hours attempting to fix it before deciding that it was never going to work - so I feel i gave it my best shot. As I stated earlier, I’ve been looking forward to doing this one for a long time - so I really want to do it justice- I fell short this time but as long as I’ve learned something it was not a wasted effort. 

Ive ordered the kit from Hannants so it will be here in 2-3 weeks - I’m planning to start it as soon as it gets here. 

It’s not the end gentlemen- not even the beginning of the end!!!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Look on it as chapter one. I'm looking forward to chapter two already, it's just like waiting for next weeks comic to arrive! Your work, right up to the disaster, was really first class.

I absolutely love the idea of you doing Johhny Reds plane, I read the updated version and enjoyed every minute of it.  A model or two to pay tribute is a fine idea.

I've done a few comic related builds, three got finished during the Classic Airfix Group Build a while back. Probably the most enjoyable models I've built for ages.

IMG-6275.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

The link isn't working. It just gives me this:

This page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

42 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The link isn't working. It just gives me this:

This page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

Hi Quiet Mike - thanks for posting but I'm also getting a broken link :( Any chance you can tell us what you were posting to? 

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Shame that you aren't happy with it. You might want to give it a shot of primer and see what you think when it's all one colour?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - I will probably do that but for now I'm concentrating on the new one. The kit arrived a few weeks ago but I was nearly at the end of my Trop Hurricane build so pushed on and finished that (link to this in my signature) 

I have been working on the new kit since then - I thought rather than log the progress of this (again), I'd get it to the point where I finished last time and go from there - I'll post a summery of the build to that point - namely pointing out what I did differently this time round:) Good news is that I'm just about there - I'm currently in the sanding and filling phase - so you can expect this build to begin again very shortly... 

46 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Look on it as chapter one. I'm looking forward to chapter two already, it's just like waiting for next weeks comic to arrive! Your work, right up to the disaster, was really first class.

Thanks Tony - very kind of you to say :) Stay tuned for more action shortly :)

46 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I absolutely love the idea of you doing Johhny Reds plane, I read the updated version and enjoyed every minute of it.  A model or two to pay tribute is a fine idea.

I've done a few comic related builds, three got finished during the Classic Airfix Group Build a while back. Probably the most enjoyable models I've built for ages.

Love what you've done there Tony - those models look excellent - and I really love how you presented them - I might have to steal this idea for when I finish this one :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NHDW46j.jpg

And we’re back...!

As I said earlier, I’ve been working away at the new kit for a few days - not sure how long, who can keep track? But thought I’d show some progress since I’m a little along... I didn’t want to rehash the progress To this point as you’ve literally seen it before so here’s what I did differently. 

The last kit became undone due the ill fitting cockpit sub assembly- I had a few ideas on how to avoid this again:

b1OtdGG.jpg

You can see here where the frames for the  cockpit walls go - first time round, I painted everything up before assembling- this led to it not fitting 100% - so this time I wanted to make sure it did. I enlarged the pin holes for the frame with a hobby knife so the pins actually fit into them. I suspect this wasn’t the case last time. 

8UPBZXP.jpg

The frames were then glued into place. I also left off the pe wall sections which contributed to the bad fit last time round. The above photo is after painting and a little weathering. I added further details later on. Really, I don’t think the model suffers that much with not using the cockpit pe. The plastic is detailed enough and is perfectly useable. Plus, it’s a lot less work! 

9he5SsA.jpg

pwkdQbK.jpg

Other bits were done pretty much as before... 

I closed up the fuselage- this time making sure there was zero gap age - and used ca glue to make sure things stayed that way. The wings were then attached - I didn’t get as nice a fit as last time here but nothing some putty and sanding didn’t take care of. 

VmOVH4m.jpg

So here’s where I’m at pretty much... I’ve managed to get a nice join on the fuselage half’s and was v careful not to over sand. I test fitted the front canopy and everything looks good. The interior green you see here was sprayed over some of the seam lines to make sure they looked ok. 

From here, I just need to attach the air intakes on the underside and then I can start thinking about primer. 

Thanks for tuning back in after that unfortunate wee break😀 Very happy that I’m over those building issues - though I’m sure there will be plenty more before I’m done 😆

See you soon chums... 

John

• Like 16

Sorry I'm late to the party John, and what a build it's been! Highs and Lows, but no. No lows. Just opportunities to learn. Or at least develop skills .

Your works continually showing your talent, and how your skills (and mindset?) are growing and growing!

Great theme, loved the series when I were a lad, and can't wait for the postie to deliver the next instalment!

Geoff 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Sorry I'm late to the party John, and what a build it's been! Highs and Lows, but no. No lows. Just opportunities to learn. Or at least develop skills .

Your works continually showing your talent, and how your skills (and mindset?) are growing and growing!

Great theme, loved the series when I were a lad, and can't wait for the postie to deliver the next instalment!

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff :) Happy to have you along - hopefully this time, I'll get to complete it without starting another kit :)

5 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Great to see this build back in action! I'm really looking forward to seeing the Falcons emblem proudly adorning this Hurri! 😎

Thanks Richard - me too 😊 just got done priming it tonight - had quite a few bits to sort out and lots of touch ups but got there in the end - some progress pics will be posted v soon...! 

NFo3jPc.jpg

Hello all - so I saw this and thought that this looked very cool - maybe unrealistic but love the idea of the quick patch up on the side of the fuselage- maybe done between sorties during a major battle. So got some plasticard - the thinnest I had, and sanded it down further. Then cut into rough shapes and attached to the model. 

SGRK5Sg.jpg

This was a test fit - I sanded them down further but I think this will add a nice little point of interest to the model. 

I drilled out the gun openings with a hyper dermic needle and enlarged them slightly with a hobby knife.  

EWzKvco.jpg

With that she was ready for some primer.

ILSWxeL.jpg

I used my usual mr surfacer black primer thinned 50/50 with mr leveling thinner - it went on fine but the primer showed up some issues here and there. Nothing major but I spent a while longer sanding out some imperfections. 

1RDAcIU.jpg

t3QXjWn.jpg

Final coat went on last night so I can start the paint soon... 

My abandoned previous kit is now a distant memory 😎

• Like 7

Interesting idea with the battle damage patches. You'd need to be careful about going down that road with Johnny's Hurri though. It must have been held together with nothing but damage repairs as the story progressed! ;)

If the plasticard winds up looking to clunky, a couple of alternatives come to mind. From thickest to thinnest, bits trimmed off PE sheet, Tamiya tape, or even shapes trimmed from spare Tamiya or other decals depending on how thin you want to go.

I've used squares cut from spare decal sheet roundels to simulate gun muzzle patches and they work rather well.

• Like 1

I’m trying to remember my Johnny Red lore...starts out with a catapult hurricane. At some point that switches to an all red mk2d or mk4 with 40mm and rockets (which still out manoeuvres anything in the sky while blowing things in half with the 40 mils).  Then at some point the ground crew present him back his original mk1 which they’ve secretly restored, with which he outflies hordes of 109Gs and 190s..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Interesting idea with the battle damage patches. You'd need to be careful about going down that road with Johnny's Hurri though. It must have been held together with nothing but damage repairs as the story progressed! ;)

Thanks Richard - my goal with this is to invoke the spirit of the comic - so I’m happy to lean into the fun and fanciful side of things - with the comic, although it’s based on real events, it takes a lot of liberties with the history- so I’m keen to reflect that... with slightly exaggerated features... if the patches look a little thick I’m okay with that. Saying that, I did sand them down a little😊

I had some time to myself today so was hoping to get stuck into the paint. I had just started on the marble coat on the underside when I realized I still had to sort out the navigation lights. 

The kit supplies glass for the lights but you have to cut the sections out of the wing if you want to use them. 

QQP6el8.jpg

not overly difficult- however I wasn’t able to get a perfect fit with the lights. I didn’t want to continue hacking bits out of the wing so decided to try a technique I saw here ages ago on britmodeler. I can’t remember where I saw it so apologies to whoever it was😊 It’s basically using spare clear sprue to create a wing tip light. 

So I took a bit of clear sprue and flattened it on one side and shaped it to fit into the cut out part of the wing. Then drilled a small hole which will be the light itself. 

Ex2SgWW.jpg

View from the other side:

Sxx3jLV.jpg

The hole was then painted with Tamiya transparent paint to simulate the light. The rest of the flattened area was painted interior green. After cutting down the sprue to a smaller size. It was glued into place with ca glue. 

Q7keDQ2.jpg

I left this to cure for about 20 minutes which is probably overkill / if you have a good bond, you can probably start sanding after a few minutes. 

I started sanding the sprue into shape using sanding sticks - Mostly with a low grit one...

DtHSvM7.jpg

This didn't take too long - after maybe 10-15 minutes it was beginning to take shape.

q8ao69Z.jpg

A little after this point, I started using higher grades of sanding stick, finishing with a 4000 grit sponge. 

Em92Pfv.jpg

Almost there now. I then brought out the tubes of Tamiya polishing compounds. 

V1yAHoC.jpg

Starting with the fine and using the Tamiya polishing sponge I cleaned up the lights to get rid of the cloudiness... I just bought these sponges - they’re ok, but a cotton bud would probably be just as good for this job. I finished with the finishing compound as you do...

7vSfAtB.jpg

eGFdJJG.jpg

Pretty happy with that result. The kit lights were quite nice but I think this looks better. The same process was done on the other wing.

mTuW9Bp.jpg

It’s funny that I only did this as a result of my own ineptitude- not being able to cut the wing light section correctly - but the result ends up looking better had I not messed up in the first place. 

The lights were carefully masked off and I started again the marbling paint work. 

EElhhLj.jpg

I used a very thinned down mix of Tamiya white with a little interior green. Thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner (retarder type) sprayed at a low pressure. I want this to be a pretty weathered example so left lots of dark areas to simulate wear and tear. I put a little more emphasis on the control surfaces to simulate the fabric covering - I didn’t ‘marble’ the canvas covered rear section either as I want this to have a different look to the metal parts of the fuselage. 

This was then followed with a coat of Tamiya sky, mixed with a little white. Again a very thin mix.

rGIk7vH.jpg

I know that Tamiyas version of sky green is a little dark but it’s light enough for my taste. I think any lighter and you could start missing the green tones. So happy enough with this. I think Johnny would be happy enough too😉

BsrpZ1f.jpg

Next up will be the green brown camo scheme... 

See you soon😊

John

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, wombat said:

I’m trying to remember my Johnny Red lore...starts out with a catapult hurricane. At some point that switches to an all red mk2d or mk4 with 40mm and rockets (which still out manoeuvres anything in the sky while blowing things in half with the 40 mils).  Then at some point the ground crew present him back his original mk1 which they’ve secretly restored, with which he outflies hordes of 109Gs and 190s..

I’m pretty sure he flew just about every allied aircraft type at some stage 😂. He also flew a typhoon which someone on here might be doing at some point! And of course he was able to out fly those higher spec German fighters - he’s Johnny red! 

• Like 1