Help! Restoring acetone frosted canopy?

BikingLampy

Apologies that this isn't an "actual" WIP, but its for an aircraft kit and its in progress, so... (and there seems to be much more traffic here than in the assorted Tips & Tricks fora)

I'm at the stage of needing to mask up the canopy for my 1/72 Airfix Tomahawk. Thought I'd try this dipping in Pledge thing (again - having had a dribble disaster with my last attempt).

I've seen (on assorted YouTube vids) it suggested that dunking the part in Windex (active part is Acetone) or neat Acetone to clean it first is a good thing, so i dug the nairvarnish remover out (mostly Acetone) and dunked away. To my horror the part instantly frosted - absolutely opaque)

Having dried it out, I've tried polishing off the frosted surface, but it doesn't seem to be shifting at all.

Any other way I can rescue it?

Many thanks,

BL

2 minutes ago, BikingLampy said:

it suggested that dunking the part in Windex (active part is Acetone) or neat Acetone to clean it first is a good thing, so i dug the nairvarnish remover out (mostly Acetone) and dunked away. To my horror the part instantly frosted - absolutely opaque)

windex active part is AMMONIA not acetone.   

in this case Acetone = ruined canopy.  

You can strip off Kleer with Isopropyl Alcohol BTW as well as Windex.

• Like 1