"Miss Van Nuys" Reno Racer

Smudge

Thanks to Patrice for welcoming me onboard the Mustang GB.

Here is my entry. Clay Lacy's P-51D Reno Racer "Miss Van Nuys" sometimes known as the Purple People Eater. 

Red Pegasus Decals

Mustang

And the Airfix P-51D Mustang.

Mustang

Should add a touch of colour B)

• Like 10

Thank you, Guys.

This afternoon I thought I would make a start and see what I could do about some of the rather deep panel lines in this kit. I have recently picked up some Tippex Correction Fluid pens for this purpose, having seen a few builds on here using them. Previously I have tried Mr. Surfacer and various fillers, but I've not been overly keen on any of these. 

I decided to do this first, in case of any mishaps and to avoid damage to any assembled parts. The Fluid is fairly thin and flows on nicely, but does tend to shrink down into the lines as it dries. Which of course is handy for just reducing the depth. 

2020-01-11_06-28-43

I was led to believe that nail polish remover would be good to clean up, but the Fluid remained impervious to my efforts. Luckily by chance I discovered that ordinary white spirit did the job. Rubbing across the lines is recommended, as rubbing along the length tends to lift the fluid out. Try to use just a small dab of spirit on a cloth, and work gently with a finger tip in the cloth. Too much spirit will wash the Fluid out, defeating the object of the exercise.

This is the fuselage after the first effort, just needs a little attention, but I'm pleased with that, as some of the detail will still be visible.

2020-01-11_06-26-11

The panel lines on the wings will need to be eliminated, so will probably need a couple of coats/applications to build up the depth. Those lines are really deep. The guns and cartridge ejection chutes will also need removing, of course.

2020-01-11_06-28-17

So I'm happy with that, and this technique will no doubt come in handy for all the other 'new' Airfix kits in the stash. 

Cheers. 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Smudge said:

This afternoon I thought I would make a start and see what I could do about some of the rather deep panel lines in this kit. I have recently picked up some Tippex Correction Fluid pens for this purpose

Good idea, Airfix has rather a reputation for deep panel lines... aka trenches.

Best wishes for the build, will tag along! :popcorn: (mandatory popcorn)

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Thom216.

Spent an hour or so today tidying up the panel lines. Also made a start on the cockpit. Looks like she was a two seater, with a small seat behind the pilots seat.

Can't find out much more about the interior or cockpit. Would like to find some pictures, but in the absence of any I am going to go with an interior green. 

Edited by Smudge

I think I am finished filling and sanding the panel lines. Gun's and ejector chutes removed and filled. The main wings are looking nice and smooth. Wings test fitted, nice and snug.

2020-01-16_09-17-51

I have also been working on the cockpit. Seats fitted, and fuselage test fitted for fit of interior.

2020-01-16_09-18-43

Most of the smaller parts are cleaned up and ready to be fitted and/or painted.

2020-01-16_09-19-30

One of the small issues with the Airfix kit is the representation of the tailplane elevators. The panel lines are a little odd around the balance 'tabs'. I cut the elevators away with a sharp blade, and cut out an appropriate slot in the tailplane. Then added the 'tabs' from plastic card.

2020-01-16_09-16-31

She's coming along. Cheers.

• Like 8

Thanks, Justin.

I have been working on the cockpit. The passenger seat is a cut down 'spare' Mustang pilots. The seat belts are from an etch brass set.

20200121_194307

20200121_194358

I went with the interior green. It does look a bit 'military', but then it is an ex. military aircraft. 

20200121_194117

The gear legs, door's and well's are finished in white, so I am building this colour up with a few thin coats at a time.

The propeller is from the Airfix 'F-51D' boxing, which has a choice of two props, this one being appropriate for Miss Van Nuys 

20200121_194549

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 5

Great project Smudge. I got to attend the Reno Air Races in 2017 and it's really something to see - modified Mustangs zooming by at 500 mph on the straight away - the winner averaged 481 mph around the course.

I really like your solution to the missing elevator balance.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I got to attend the Reno Air Races in 2017 and it's really something to see - modified Mustangs zooming by at 500 mph on the straight away - the winner averaged 481 mph around the course.

Bit jealous Cookie... Ive been trying to get to Reno since the late 80’s and still haven't managed it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great project Smudge. I got to attend the Reno Air Races in 2017 and it's really something to see - modified Mustangs zooming by at 500 mph on the straight away - the winner averaged 481 mph around the course.

I really like your solution to the missing elevator balance.

Sounds like a great experience.

AW

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great project Smudge. I got to attend the Reno Air Races in 2017 and it's really something to see -

Very jealous, too. Must be quite an experience.

Maybe, one day...................

Miss Van Nuys has an unusual exhaust. On a 'standard' military P-51D the pipes are usually enclosed in a fairing, but on her they just stick straight out the side of the cowling. In an attempt to replicate this, I have made up some exhausts from copper piping, fitted into drilled out holes in the kits exhaust recess.

20200125_211332(0)

20200125_211412

It was a little tricky trying to get them all the same length and lined up at the same angle. I think it helped to do it before the fuselage parts are fixed together.

I'm fairly pleased with that, hopefully they will look the part when they are painted up.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind comments, Chaps.

Unfortunately when I checked back at pictures of Miss Van Nuys, I realised I'd made a slight error. I had left too much of a gap in front of the first exhaust. Not a massive thing, but it was niggeling me. So I decided to take it all apart and have another go. Making good all the holes was the biggest problem. I tried something that others on Britmodeller have used, a kind of melted plastic glue mixture referred to as 'sprue gloop'. This was a mistake! Sprue gloop is glue that will melt your good plastic, this is Not Good. Suffice to say I managed to avert disaster and clean most of it off before too much damage was done. Luckily I was mostly working from the inside. A new piece of very thin plastic card in the recess and some new drill holes saved the day.

Here are the repositioned exhausts, and the fuselage and wings fixed together

20200203_194109

20200203_194044

Underside. I really like the radiator scoop. Such an improvement over a lot of the older Mustang kits.

20200203_194130

Cheers.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I realised I'd made a slight error. I had left too much of a gap in front of the first exhaust.

Looking back, I see what you mean. The new layout is much better.

Thanks Cookie, very kind. Yes, I did wonder if I could find some aftermarket exhausts, but no luck. I'm not quite sure why Miss Van Nuys has these unusual stubs that just stick straight out. Possibly something to do with trying to get the most power out of the engine, or a 'different' engine. 

I did check out your build, very nice  B)

• Like 1

Very nice work on the panel line filling and especially on the exhaust stubs. I'd say, straight stubs produced less counter-pressure in the cylinders so that the gases could exit faster.

• Like 2