CSM Nieuport

Faraway

The build is progressing well. But on the horizon is painting, the wood prop etc isn’t (I hope) going to be too much of a problem. What I’m wondering about, is the fuselage. It’s supposed to be aluminium dope, in other words a silver aircraft. 
Now do I spray the aeroplane flat aluminium and then dry brush with black or spray black and dry brush with aluminium ?

I’m inclined towards the former.

Any thoughts from you chaps would be welcome.

8 hours ago, europapete said:

Hiya, which kit and what scale ? it makes a difference on the finish choices. Regards, Pete in RI

Copper State Models, Nieuport XVII late. 1/32.

oops, should have read the title, sorry. The Nieuports were not finished in a " bright silver" as much as regular dope with aluminium powder added. This gives a dull greyish/ whiteish silver, so I would suggest a light grey undercoat, with a topcoat of dull silver mixed with a bit of light grey or white. Also look through the work-in-progress section here and read how others have painted theirs. Hope this helps, Regards, Pete in RI

15 minutes ago, europapete said:

oops, should have read the title, sorry. The Nieuports were not finished in a " bright silver" as much as regular dope with aluminium powder added. This gives a dull greyish/ whiteish silver, so I would suggest a light grey undercoat, with a topcoat of dull silver mixed with a bit of light grey or white. Also look through the work-in-progress section here and read how others have painted theirs. Hope this helps, Regards, Pete in RI

Very helpful, many thanks.

Jon.

35 minutes ago, europapete said:

Hi Jon, also check out ww1aircraftmodels.com, a great site for us wierd biplane modellers. Scroll down the home page until you see the forum banner and click on that. Regards, Pete in RI

Cheers mate.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jon, I have the same plane on my work bench right now, after testing multiple aluminum paints over  Mr surfacer black and grey 1500 primer.

To my eyes, Hataka orange line C-139 semi-matt aluminum over grey primer. Hope this helps 

Robert