Revell’s Big Camel

DMC

The 2F.1 Camels that went on the Tondern Zepplin sheds each carried two 59lb bombs instead of their normal load of four 20 pounders.  Thought I might take a little diversion and, after finally happening across some measurements, try making a couple.

So the usual balsa moulds, plunge moulded the halves and turned on my trusty Tamiya drill.  I think they’ll do okay if I can get the fins right.  

In some photos they they are black in some they are yellow.  Still looking for a clear image of the rack.  The Camel might have been equipped with Sopwith Baby racks as they carried these 50lb bombs.  

Thanks for dropping in 

Dennis

resized_d49e6aa5-2c71-4690-a44d-0ee2868d

resized_f9ee9b6d-301e-46d0-b023-7153c238

• Like 3

On 7/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, DMC said:

I’ve just read through your latest post, p, and can honestly say that your work surpasses anything that I’m even remotely capable of.  

Thanks Dennis, that is very kind of you, however I must disagree with you, I have never done anything like this before, plunge moulding, vacforming, scares the heck out of me.  I just build things out of the box and add a bit here and there.  You are creating something special here.  Great work on the bombs do far fella

All the best

Chris

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I just build things out of the box

“Just” building things out of the box is backbone of the hobby.  Without OOB builders there probably wouldn’t be one.  My interest in scratch building is probably because I’ve got some kind of mild OCD thing going on and can’t leave well enough alone.  Plunge moulding and vacuum forming are not really that difficult.  Nothing to be scared of.  Just takes a bit of practice.

Dennis

• Like 1

Great work on the bombs Dennis. I think the rack from the Sopwith Baby sounds like a sensible choice as they were readily available. 

I can't help but wonder how carrying the bombs affected the Camel's performance and notorious handling.

Very neat bombs Dennis. I think that you could easily make a set of fins and racks to go under the wings - and as they are not going to be very visible it would not matter if they are not 100% accurate.

P

Another proof that you miss a lot of things going on here when you just stop by for short times a day... I didn't see this until just now! Looks stunning, and I have some reference pics already for my own build :)

Also a late "Happy birthday to you Dennis!"

On 7/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, DMC said:

I usually keep myself to myself as far as personal details go but could see no harm sharing the thos with my loyal band of followers: today I am 80 years old.  Yep, the big 80 or octo man.

Happy birthday lad!!!

You look more like 70 than 80. Stay strong and healthy !!!

Cheers

Bill

15 hours ago, RichieW said:

Great work on the bombs Dennis.

Thanks, Richie, agree abut the Baby racks.  Must have been a few of them lying about.   The rack was tucked up well forward, practically under the LG struts right within that critical fiirst 7 feet.  The Tondern raiders seemed to manage okay, however. 

15 hours ago, pheonix said:

Very neat bombs Dennis

Thanks, Pheonix.  Can’t remember ever seeing a photo of bomb racks hung under the wings but you are probably more au fair with WW1 AC then I am.  

15 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Happy birthday lad

Ha ha, it’s been a long time since I was a lad but thanks anyway.   Incidentally, Shalako the film, I remember see it those many years ago probably because BB was in it.  She was quite something back then.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Happy birthday to you Dennis!"

Thanks, Lohnny, very much appreciated.  I’m no expert on the Camel but I have a good deal of reference material.  Anything I can help you with just give me a shout.

Thanks guys

Dennis

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Incidentally, Shalako the film, I remember see it those many years ago probably because BB was in it.  She was quite something back then.

Yeap, she was and those were the days! One of my favourites was Jane Russell. What a woman!

Made matching fins by taking four small rectangles, tiny deck of cards, CAing on one side, shaping fins all in one and then removing from the “deck” one at a time. Braces were easier to do then I thought they would be.

resized_eef7acf4-0dbb-4cb6-8681-3b1f6778

Thanks for dropping in 

Dennis

• Like 8

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Made matching fins by taking four small rectangles, tiny deck of cards, CAing on one side, shaping fins all in one and then removing from the “deck” one at a time.

I use double sided sticky tape for that a lot, the cheap stuff from Dealz. 

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

cracking work

Thanks, Chris, your comments are always appreciated.

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

use double sided sticky tape for that

If you’d elaborate on that I’d appreciated it.  Always ready to learn something new.

Dennis

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

If I want 112lb bombs or even 59lb bombs for one of my larger models in future I know who to ask to make them! Excellent piece of scratchbuilding.

P

Ha ha, thanks pheonix, if I can ever be of service you have but to ask.

This business of WW1 bombs can be a bit confusing, especially the ones used on the Tondern Raid.  Opinions range from 49, 50, 60 and 65 pounders up to special made for the Raid.  Seems to me designing and making a special bomb for the raid would be a bit time consuming and why even bother when there are several options available.  The Sopwith Baby carried two 50/60 lb bombs and they could have been easily adapted, rack and all, to a Camel. Or so it seems.  

resized_8ce64ee2-1254-4b1c-8847-eb5d6d8c

More on the subject if you are interested.

https://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=993&title=60lb-cooper-bomb

https://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1459&title=cooper-bombs

http://www.zeppelin-museum.dk/main.php?page=museum&id=bomb&lang

Dennis

On 8/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, DMC said:

If you’d elaborate on that I’d appreciated it.  Always ready to learn something new.

Where I need to make several identical parts I make a paper template and attach that to plastic sheet with double sided sticky tape, then I’ll add additional layers of plastic sheets again attached with double sided tape. Finally I’ll carefully cut through the the whole stack and also shape any radii or profiles before separating the blanks. The only awkward part is getting rid of any adhesive residue.

49768975062_4d74e28770_c.jpg

49741761946_752a776083_c.jpg

Used on things like the Wight wing blanks where I needed eight identical wing blanks.

I also found a little paper guillotine which is great for  trimming the wing blanks.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Good stuff chaps. 

Marklo's method reminds me of the way Balsa builders make sets of wing ribs etc. 

Known as the sandwich method. Usually no glue or tape used. Being bigger allows the use of a couple of long thin bolts. 

ribs3

Tapered wing shapes can be done too with a root rib template on one side and a tip rib template on the other. 

Few things are as satisfying as a well built Balsa wing. The strength and rigidity compared to the weight is amazing. 

Don't mind me.... Carry on there....! 

👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RichieW said:

Super working the bomb Dennis, very neatly done. 

Thanks, Richie, as above, some controversy about the bombs used.  The size looks about right when held up next to the Camel so I’ll stay with that until proven different.

Dennis

• 11 months later...