Revell’s Big Camel

DMC

Drat!  I’ve somehow managed to lose an important piece to the build.  How these things happen is beyond me.  It’s the forward part of the “hump”, not a small piece and easily seen even with my dodgy vision.  After spending a couple of hours ransacking the room, I gave up and set about scratching another.  I could have plunged it but I felt tha vacuum forming would give me a tighter finished piece.  Top right is the (final) balsa mould.  You can see the additions a made before I got the shape that I was satisfied with.  Bottom left is the first attempt: not very good.  I reshaped the mould a bit and got one that was very close but no cigar.  I don’t remember ever getting a plunge or vac mould right the first time.  Dashing out for a bit.  More on this in a couple of hours.

Thanks for looking 👀 in

Dennis

resized_58ea30a8-67ee-45a4-ba05-b9ba99bb

• Like 5

Coming along nicely!

It it damn frustrating when the carpet monster swallows a key part. No doubt it will turn up once you've made and installed the hump too. Really looking forward to seeing your most excellent work :)

Hopefully I will be back up and running once I have my spare room finalised and re-decorated. So far it is painted, shelves up and builds lovingly displayed.

Just a shiny new chair needed and to put up the art work on the walls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Coming along nicely

Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

the carpet monster

Must be a heck of a large carpet monster to swallow a part that size. And, yes , no doubt it will turn up some day along with a treasure trove of othe stuff that I’ve long forgotten about.  

Modelling room sounds great.  Mines a tip no matter how hard I try to work “neat”.

More pics:  got the angle of the slope right using the final mould in the previous photo.  Top right is one done before the final mould mod.  Fit is okay but not enough angle to the slope.  Bottom left is what happens the styrene gets too hot and the droop is too deep.  You get about twice the styrene needed and webbing occurs.  Left the rack in two long on this one.  Bottom right is the exhaust channel.  

resized_dd959ea1-dcf5-4de9-80af-40926b8b

Thanks for looking in.

Couple more photos later.

Dennis

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I like your generally gung-ho parts replacement policy

Thanks WiP.  Nothing really to be scared of.

These two photos bring me up to where i’m at now on the build.  I didn’t have the right size strips for the fuselage framework so had to cut my own.  Looks a little beefy I think.  Not trying for exact fidelity, just close enough to make a look in the cockpit a little more interesting.  There’ll be no cables, wiring or anything of that sort. Nothing that can’t be easily seen.  That wicker seat will be a problem but I’m leaving that ‘till later.

resized_300c19bb-7639-4623-961a-21fe5748

resized_d88c6f39-0241-437a-950b-7007089f

Thanks for looking in.

Dennis

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

These two photos bring me up to where i’m at now on the build.  I didn’t have the right size strips for the fuselage framework so had to cut my own.  Looks a little beefy I think.  Not trying for exact fidelity, just close enough to make a look in the cockpit a little more interesting.  There’ll be no cables, wiring or anything of that sort. Nothing that can’t be easily seen.  That wicker seat will be a problem but I’m leaving that ‘till later.

I just finished the cockpit for a 1/48 camel and was surprised by how little can be seen after the fuselage is closed. Less than some other WW1 airplanes. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ted said:

I just finished the cockpit for a 1/48 camel and was surprised by how little can be seen after the fuselage is closed. Less than some other WW1 airplanes. 

Yes, I think of the pilots. A bit cramped, not much room to twist around.  

Look what came in the post this am when I was out, and in 1/28th.  Now just need a seat and a Bentley B.R. 1. 

resized_06971d66-ade8-4f28-9a24-49d740a8

Thanks for looking in

Dennis

• Like 5

Lovely work. I too like the wholesale replacement of parts with mouldings. 

My worst carpet monster experience was a lower wing on my 1/48 pup which my cat had pretty much demolished, and yes I did eventually find the wing  long after scratching and installing a replacement. 

Edited by Marklo

Great stuff, Dennis. 

And plenty of room for fingers and thumbs. 

Very enjoyable getting stuck in to a big ol' box of plastic! 

I've done this one quite a few years ago and I should have done more with it, but I'll be on the ball next time! . 

The "Next time" at 1.28 would be with the Spad which is tucked away in the pile somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely work. I

Thanks, Marklo.  Losing a wing? Wow!

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Great stuff, Dennis

Thank you, Rob.  Yes, I like working with this scale.  Might be the Dr 1 is next.  Pity they didn’t carry on with 1/28 a while longer.  A  Nieuport or an S.E.5 would have been nice.  

Thanks guys

Dennis

It's the Sopwith's Triplane that I'd be on to, given a chance. The Naval Air Service had an epic time with them:- Naval 8, Naval 10 etc. 

And they were all Bentley. The Admiralty had first call on those, and they insisted on the Bentley engines. 

Australia's top ace racked up a fair bit of his score on the Tripe, until the Camels came through. 

He went by the name of Robert A. Little!! 

😇

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'll check that out for you..

Just remembered I have the Osprey book on Triplane aces........somewhere.

Dennis

14 hours ago, DMC said:

about the Tripes with Bentleys.  Thought they all used Clergets

My mistake on this! 

Found the references in The Fleet Air Arm History, and it was about the Naval Camels all having 150hp Bentleys and how they were dismayed to get resupplied with a bunch of RFC types with Clergets. 

So this was coming up to the point of amalgamation into the RAF and much comparing was going on between the army and navy flying outfits. 

So, as you were on the Tripes. Still fancy one, though. If I ever do go for a Wingnut kit, that's the one for me! 

• Like 1

That upper wing has zero dihedral. One way suggested to to fix it is to lay in a flat bottomed washbasin with a weight in the middle and pour in hot water. The lower wings do bend up. Not sure if they need more bending than they already have.

The inner struts are also said to be 6mm too long. I've read builds which suggest simply cutting that much out.

spacer.png

If you decide to use the 28 Sqn kit decals, the nose color is wrong as instructed. All other references show the fuselage as PC10 overall, including the cowling.

• Like 1

I recently had to flatten a 1/48 Fokker D.VII wing. I used cable ties to clamp it between a couple of bits a thick steel sheet I have. This was put in a basin and very hot water added. It was allowed to cool down in its own time. One flat wing

1-48%20Fokker%20D%2CVII%2C%2002s-M.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.  I’ve done the hot water thing before but the kit wing is dead straight so no worries there.  

Ahd @tomcervo, I thought those struts looked a little long in a  box top photo, but 6mm?  Wow!  Mating the wing to the Interplane struts  would put quite a curve in It if they didn’t  match up.   Anyway, I have the Wylam drawings to go by so I’ll see how everything measures up.

Cheers

Dennis

Funnily enough the one thing I've never liked about the Camel is the flat upper wing. The Pup and most of the other Sopwiths have the same  diehedral on all the wings and to me this just looks right.

Now I do have three camels in my stash so I will be making at least one ( I'm toying with using two of them as donor kits for a Swallow and a Salamander, I also have a  Dolphin, a Snipe and a 1 1/2 Strutter in there too, and am part way through a  scratch built Snark all in 1/48).  So far I have only completed a scratchbuilt PUP. HMM maybe we should propose a Sopwith GB. I'm rambling now.

Edited by Marklo

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

the flat upper wing.

Easy to ID them from a distance I expect  And maybe avoid. 

a Sopwith GB

You’ve got the lot and would be spoiled for choice.  I wonder if rigging biplanes would scare some members off.  I’ve never rigged one so this Camel is going to be a challenge.  The large scale should help somewhat.   We’ll see.

Dennis 

Oh I actually forgot I have a triplane too. Duelling over the trenches ( the book, not the exploit) must have impreissed me at a subconscious level :) 

Ah rigging, so many methods. In 1:32 I’d look at using eyelets(either bought or homemade) and tubing for turnbuckles as for the wires I like beadalon fire .15mm but there are many many alternatives like ezline or uschi van der whatshisname.

Edited by Marklo

3 hours ago, DMC said:

You’ve got the lot

forgot I have a triplane too.

He has now....!! 

Marklo, I'm guessing these old kites are your area of expertise. 

Any time I do rigging - and that's seldom- I find it very challenging. 

My last effort involved hole drilling and the use of a stretchy monofilament type used for craft things like bead necklaces etc. All rigged up before the top panel of the top wing went on! 

Obvs not an option with a one piece wing moulding.. 

All I'd say is have a plan. There may be things to do before an assembly stage. 

Like elevator lines attached through holes in the fuselage before the sides are joined. 

On 1/30/2020 at 11:14 PM, rob Lyttle said:

All I'd say is have a plan.

Well, I have a folder full of how-to that I’ve had for some time and there plenty of advice on BM on the subject.  Best material to use will be the big question.  Something stretchy sounds about right.  Anyway, plenty of time yet.

Dennis