Revell 727-100 tail mod for aftermarket decals

Hey everyone, new here, looking for some advice / ideas...

I picked up the Revell Germania 727-100 kit, but am building it as an Air Canada Cargo 727 with the decal kit from V1decals..

A few kinks have come into my plans... the rear stabs are one piece with the top tail piece on the model kit.. which works fine for the original kit because the entire tail is painted white with a single round decal in the middle.. the Air Canada scheme I have decided on is an entire red decal for the tail with no slits cut in the decal for the stabs, the red decal extends above the stabs to the top of the tail...

My only thought on getting around this is to carefully cut the stabs off the top tail cap and reglue them after the decal is applies.. will just have to cut away a small part of the decal afterwards to glue the stab back in place... Im a little worried as there is no support tab with those stabs to glue into the tail now... probably use CA glue?

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, come across this let me know!

Thanks!!

What you are suggesting is perfectly feasible but a simple butt join between the re-attached stabs and the fin is asking for trouble even if you use CA glue. I don't have an unbuilt Revell 727 handy and I can't remember exactly how the parts fit but it should be possible to drill the fin and stabs to take locating pegs made from plastic rod or tube.

The only alternative would be to cut the fin decal to fit around the stab. That wouldn't be easy particularly with laser decals which can't be overlapped and tend to be difficult to touch up.

Dave G

Cutting the stabs off and adding pins to strengthen the joint is probably the least painful way to do it. It will also make it easier to fix the seam at the top of the tail. I usually use a sharpie to put a red (port) or green (starboard) dot on the inboard edge of the stabs, so I don’t get the two sides confused later when I go to glue them back on.

Ben

Just looked at the pictures of the model. I'd cut the stabs off and pin them somehow like it's suggested. Just have to spend a bit more time now finishing the tail. Yes make a spar of some kind or they'll get knocked off.

Hi Chris,

Just thinking about your chosen livery and wondered if it might be easier to paint the red on the tail but with a white circle masked off so you could then just place the maple leaf logo into it. This approach would negate trying to wrap the decal around the top and rear of the tail 'bullet' with all the problems which you could have with overlapping laser decals. Of course this means you will have to match the paint with the red on the decal but with a little mixing and trial and error you should be able to get close. Also the small white fleet numbers would have to be sourced from somewhere else, your decal spares box of you have one.

Also I'd recommend photocopying the decal and having a trial run to check how the decal fits around the nose contours as this decal is designed for the Airfix kit not the Revell one you are using.

I would agree with everyone else and cut the stabilizers off then drill and pin them in place.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Turbofan - The mixing red was my initial first thought as well... I could be getting into nothing good here as well with what you said (decal kit being made for the airfix 200 vs revell) Im "hoping" things will fit... I'll see how things look when the decals arrive, right now Ive only filled the shallow windows and glued the weight inside the nose... if things aren't looking favorable in the trial version you suggest, I'll pull the plug and revert to the Germania version... 

Abadonded Project - Thanks for the welcome!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chris Ashley said:

Turbofan - The mixing red was my initial first thought as well... I could be getting into nothing good here as well with what you said (decal kit being made for the airfix 200 vs revell) Im "hoping" things will fit... I'll see how things look when the decals arrive, right now Ive only filled the shallow windows and glued the weight inside the nose... if things aren't looking favorable in the trial version you suggest, I'll pull the plug and revert to the Germania version... 

Abadonded Project - Thanks for the welcome!

Never give up! Put it on the shelf of doom and come back to it in a few years like normal modellers :’)  

• Haha 1