STGB versus "designer" GB ?

Erwin

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this.

Now we have STGB's that go for one type.For example the Heinkel 111 GB where only He 111's can be build.

Why not a "Designer "GB.Again for example Heinkel.Where ALL types of Heinkels can be build.

Would there be any interest in this ?

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I should think that the "Scandinavian" GB that's about to start would be a good place to see an unofficial "SAAB build"

Defo a good sub group idea

Where would a submarine GB fit, or is that a STGB? Has there been one? I know we have in the Navy where you could chose to do a submarine where we might get 1 or 3...but a group only building submarines?

• Like 1

Geoffrey deHavilland?

He had something like fifty or sixty designs - with plenty of kit options ranging from Airco DH.2 through Rapide,and many Moths, Mosquioto to Vampire, Venom, and Sea Vixen ... not forgetting two very different Comets (and, maybe, a case for a Nimrod?).

Maybe too broad for s STGB, but, he'd make a fine subject for a  group build.

IIRC, Ernst Heinkel worked for LVG and Albatros before founding his own company?  Some of their aircraft may have been his design?

On 1/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Geoffrey deHavilland?

He had something like fifty or sixty designs - with plenty of kit options ranging from Airco DH.2 through Rapide,and many Moths, Mosquioto to Vampire, Venom, and Sea Vixen ... not forgetting two very different Comets (and, maybe, a case for a Nimrod?).

Maybe too broad for s STGB, but, he'd make a fine subject for a  group build.

IIRC, Ernst Heinkel worked for LVG and Albatros before founding his own company?  Some of their aircraft may have been his design?

I ran a De Havilland Group Build in 2017 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/584-de-havilland-mega-gb/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sorry I couldn't take part :(
Would 2021 or 2022 be too soon for another?

Birds and the bees (insects)  build?

Mosquito, wasp, hornet, blackbird, osprey, hawk......that kind of thing?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Birds and the bees (insects)  build?

Mosquito, wasp, hornet, blackbird, osprey, hawk......that kind of thing?

There is the USS Hornet & USS Wasp. If you include swimming creatures you have the USS Stingray and various other ships ? Then of course for armor you have the Hummel, Wespe, & Nashorn. The F-15 Eagle also ? 

• Like 2

A flock of Albatros together with Camels and Dolphins for the WWI enthusiasts.
And a Firefly to go with @Corsairfoxfouruncle's Hummel, Wrespe and Nashorn

Maybe open up @Valkyrie's alliteration, ... Birds, Bees & Beasts?

Either way, that sounds like the making of a good GB.

@Erwin, sorry for hijacking your thread.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Or possibly The Animal Kingdom ? 

I like that!

IPMSOC had good participation with a "green" contest theme last year--anything green. This year, will have three such events: black (predominantly black), high-viz (high visibility colorful or predominately white and bright paint, no greens or greys), and low-viz (primarily grey or green, no hi visibility colorful white etc.).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What do you need help with ? 

Hosting a GB lol. Never hosted before, took part in a few. I’m not very knowledgeable either 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Hosting a GB lol. Never hosted before, took part in a few. I’m not very knowledgeable either 

Hello Valkyrie... This is what I told whitestar12chris when he asked a similar question. My first hosting ever was the Patton group build last spring. 

“Just check out the builds, gallery, and chat threads on a daily basis. If needed comment with some encouragement and or answer questions in the chat or build threads. Keep an eye out for anything like buying and selling or arguments. If you find something warn the member(s) to move it to the appropriate areas or stop. If they don't we get Enzo involved. 

If and when this gets through and is a week before the start date. Enzo sets this up and moves us to the current builds section, you will be getting an extra set of controls to do some moderating. Things will look slightly different from your normal screen, but not to far off from what you normally see. If you have any questions myself or Enzo can hopefully answer. Other than that just enjoy, have some fun, and hopefully build something. At the end you as host would set up the poll/vote.”

Its not as hard as it seems, and can be a rewarding experience if you have a good attitude towards the whole of it. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Enzo mentions prizes in that post.  Be very, very wary of allowing prizes (experience talking here).

I have to agree with Robert.  These days I don't recommend prizes.  Britmodeller karma is far better than any prize.  :)  

• Like 2