I can't find a topic for this release, apologies if I have double posted; I feel it's worth another mention. This is the film released back in July with all the other 50th Anniversary releases. This film was created by digitising a set of 64mm panavision reels of fillm which had never been seen before, it is going to be a future classic. It quietly appeared on Amazon Prime, is available on Bluray in 4k. It's not free, but worth watching. I saw it first in Imax cinema, and it was stunning; also watched it at home which was a different experience, but still very good to see. There are 64mm reels covering other missions, so hope to see releases for those too in the future

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, watching the in-flight footage of the particular  greenish colour of the Lunar Module from the CM makes a good modelling reference. It's a shame that I don't have a 4K TV.

13 hours ago, paulj said:

This film was created by digitising a set of 64mm panavision reels of fillm

Don't you mean 65mm film that has been digitised ?

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

Don't you mean 65mm film that has been digitised ?

Hi Yes, a typo on my behalf, sorry; I have seen references to 65mm and 70mm.

• Like 1

@paulj thanks for the heads-up. I want aware of this but having seen the trailer I'll certainly make a point of seeing the rest of it.

• 3 months later...

Just watched this on Netflix. Great film/documentary.

A must see for anyone interested in space exploration. Even SWMBO who’s not really into such things watched it with interest.

Graham

Watched it again the other night. That is the best shot of the rocket body for accurate details for your next Saturn V build.

I don't know if there's any subliminal message in the movie/documentary, but since I viewed it in imax theatre, I have an additional 12 Saturn V kits added to the stash, 4 of which are the Dragon 1:72 monsters. I am planning on buying the 4k bluray to release to keep as a physical copy

7 hours ago, paulj said:

I don't know if there's any subliminal message in the movie/documentary, but since I viewed it in imax theatre, I have an additional 12 Saturn V kits added to the stash, 4 of which are the Dragon 1:72 monsters. I am planning on buying the 4k bluray to release to keep as a physical copy

Well, that’s an interesting form of lockdown panic buying and stockpiling 😜

beat,

M.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this old thread because I spotted it in radio times tv listings on sky documentaries channel at 9pm tonight with repeats on Sunday at 7pm and Monday at 9pm. Can't reccomend this movie enough, even if you are not particularly interested in space.

https://www.radiotimes.com/film/gvmbwd/apollo-11/

(There seems to be some distinction between "NOW TV Sky Documentaries" and "Sky Documentaries", so unless you are watching on Now TV you may only be able to watch it on Saturday or Sunday)

• Like 1