RAF, RAAF, RCAF roundels

72modeler

I wish we had a Colors and Markings forum, but I guessed this might be the best or most appropriate forum for this post. See the link below for everything you wanted to know about roundels but were afraid to ask. I'm sure there are omissions and errors, but it looks like a pretty good basic reference. Most of the information/photos are from WW2, but there are other eras covered. Many of the color photos appear to have been colorized, and some have been published before, but many were new to me, and I hope to you, as well. Enjoy!

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/382/Roundel-Round-Up.aspx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I wish we had a Colors and Markings forum, but I guessed this might be the best or most appropriate forum for this post. See the link below for everything you wanted to know about roundels but were afraid to ask. I'm sure there are omissions and errors, but it looks like a pretty good basic reference. Most of the information/photos are from WW2, but there are other eras covered. Many of the color photos appear to have been colorized, and some have been published before, but many were new to me, and I hope to you, as well. Enjoy!

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/382/Roundel-Round-Up.aspx

There are errors in this article concerning some of the post war roundels - ie what it call is the small leaf roundel is wrong - the white in the Sabre photo just blurred out the red - its called 'white-out'.  The small leaf roundel is something else completely and missed.  It was the use of under sized leaves cut from flag decals right after the flag change in 1965.  The red white red roundels was going to be 'Unification' roundel - not the centennial roundel.  The centennial design on the tail was placed one at least one of each type during 1967 - the red white red roundel was only used on single examples of the Cosmo and Yukon.  The close up on the Hornet is not the correct leaf shape - compare it to the Canadian Flag leaf and the error jumps out at the viewer.

PM

• Like 3

As Patrick says there are many errors in the article. Be very careful when using it. For starters, the RAAF never used SEAC roundels. the Vengeaces are RAAF in Australia. A1, A2, C, C1 etc were never official designations. Too many to go through them all.

Peter M

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I know, which is why I included the disclaimer; if you or others think it is too misleading or  of little use, I can remove the post. 

Mike

Hey Mike,

Not 'having a shot at you'. All references have a place and I, for one, am always happy to see new ones. Having noticed some errors in that one, I thought it might be prudent to post a caveat.

Keep 'em coming!! 😁😁😁

Peter M

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Magpie22 said:

Not 'having a shot at you'

Peter, I didn't take your post as a shot-I was just concerned  about leaving my post up if it had so many errors that it would mislead people, so that's why I mentioned it. I do appreciate the consideration though.

Mike

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I find this site quite useful for identifying the ratios of the various types of roundel.

http://www.renohighrollers.com/images/British Roundels.pdf

Well for one thing, where the link has SEAC Variation FAA/RNZAF,

RNZAF never used those type of Roundels in WWII

When it comes to RNZAF Roundels, myths continue to

perpetuate......

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The evolution of the RAAF's roundels is quite complex. There is a useful diagram on p.77 of Southern Cross Mustangs which gives a graphic explanation of the process, including (where relevant) the RNZAF equivalents. Bear in mind that the diagram was prepared specifically to help explain the evolution of national markings as they were applied to RAAF and RNZAF Mustangs, but it's a good general reference as well.

For a freely available resource - ADF Serials had an article on the evolution of the RAAF "Kangaroo roundel" in one of its newsletters -

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/newsletter/ADF Telegraph 2016 Spring.pdf

The article does touch on the WW2 version.

Other editions may have more.

Cheers

MIchael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1