RAF ,19 Squadron Spitfire Mk.I, Op. Dynamo - Tamiya 48th

Hi all.

Next out of the gate after the Raiden is the ubiquitous Spitfire. This one will be a Mk.I built as N3200 from the new Tamiya kit; I couldn't go past the black and white wing undersides. The photos of this one are well know as it crash landed on a beach in Dunkirk on its first mission while on Operation Dynamo. I get to keep the weathering to a minimum on this one as it didn't last too long!

Always with the box art.

spacer.png

And of course the marking options

02.jpg

Previously I'd remove one part at a time when assembling the kit, now I've switched to removing a whole bunch of parts for sub-assemblies. I find that it's a lot faster when it comes to cleanup (minimum with this model), paint and assembly.

03.jpg

Who'd a thought? Cockpit first. There's no need for aftermarket here as it's amazing straight from the cardboard. Pics are a bit out of order but you get the idea.

13.jpg

12.jpg

10.jpg

My F-35 pilot reckons he'd give it a go.

16.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

The fit is ridiculously amazing.

19.jpg

20.jpg

I've been a bit dubious about the supplied masks from Tamiya. Never fear, a fresh #11 scalpel blade and they fit really well.

21.jpg

22.jpg

The A3 camo plans have a good use.

24.jpg

Cut them out and you can mark the camo scheme with a water colour pencil over the base colour. Here it's Mr Color Dark Earth.

26.jpg

Second colour applied after using Blu-tac sausages to make the camo pattern lines. The green is Mr Color Dark Green and the no walk lines were sprayed and masked before putting colours down.

27.jpg

30.jpg

As wasn't happy with the colours so I mixed a 50:50 mix of the earth and green and then dusted it over the topside. The first photo below shows it applied only to the left side  and the following photos show the final effect.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Gloss coat and then stickers.

34.jpg

This is the state it's in at the moment.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

MIGHT... finish it over the weekend.

Hope you like it.

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 19

11 minutes ago, TimT said:

Really like it. A fast and pristine model so far. I know N3200 wasn't that old before it went down, but are you going to mess up that immaculate paint work with some weathering?

Have no fear Tim! It'll get some weathering just not as much as recent subjects.

Cheers,

MD

That is a bit brilliant. Apart from being an obviously nice  kit, you're an obviously good modeler & although its not my scale, I'd have to care too much at that size, ;) , I'm impressed as hell at the cockpit work & all. I'll be keen to see the finished item indeed. The wee vignette with the F-35 jockey tells a story too. :)

Steve.

32 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a bit brilliant. Apart from being an obviously nice  kit, you're an obviously good modeler & although its not my scale, I'd have to care too much at that size, ;) , I'm impressed as hell at the cockpit work & all. I'll be keen to see the finished item indeed. The wee vignette with the F-35 jockey tells a story too. :)

Steve.

Aww shucks Steve. Thanks for those kind words, I try my best! There are some talented folks out there who well ahead in the skill sets compared to mine.

I'll have to paint up the pilot figure and place him standing next to the finished item. Old meets new?

Thanks again!

Mick

• Like 1

She looks very pretty like that, nice touch on the underside panels for the guns (they're slightly darker?)

5 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

I'll have to paint up the pilot figure and place him standing next to the finished item. Old meets new?

Visiting Duxford as that's where she's based now? :)

As for weathering, just the standard oil stains would do.

y4mRrO-GbdetKEvtkxZJjdkNxZwpOEexmTQKNKi1

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Back with the Spitfire.

Not much done on it over the weekend except a panel wash. I mixed up a 50:50 mix of the Tamiya grey and black panel liner mixed with a similar amount of enamel thinner. I'd gone over the final paint with a satin lacquer that provided a good surface for the wash to work on. There's still a few spots around hatch hinges that needs to be cleaned up but I'm happy with the result. The white underside got the same as the top side however I added more of the lighter grey to the mix so I got a lighter grey on the black.

There's still a few hours to with it. I've got the day off tomorrow so I'll try and finish it up then. The feathery looking edge around the access hatch is the white glue I used to tack the hatch and canopy in position. It's easily removed with a pair of tweezers.

Cheers,

Mick

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/10/2020 at 3:06 AM, alt-92 said:

the standard oil stains would do.

My goodness! Those lazy erks need to spend less time hanging around the NAAFTI van scarfing down tea and scones and a little more time checking for oil leaks and wiping the kite down! 😠

Mike

• Haha 1