Best 1/72 kit to build a CF-18 Hornet

drake122

23 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

If you can only find an Academy F-18C or even an F-18D kit, the changes required to do a single or dual CF-18, are relatively minor.

Scott

Actually you can't since you need the A-specific fins and (optionally) reinforcement braces and those are not included in the C/D boxings.

You need to use the A boxing and it includes everything you need for a CF-18 (the original A boxing, in fact, had CF-18 decals)

As Phantome has said- I think this might be the kit he was alluding to. From everything I have read, Academy makes the most accurate 'legacy' Hornets, and Hasegawa makes the best 2nd generation Hornets.

Mike

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-A-18A-Hornet-Australian-Canadian-Spanisch-AF.html#gallery_start

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

WRT the vertical stabs in kit 12520 (Red Devils) Hornet there are 2 sets, the A/B style and the C/D style so if you are stuck for a kit it's an option. If you do get a C/D model careful carving & sanding will remove the extra RWR bulge on the vert stab, I should say VERY careful carving & sanding. This kit also represents an F-18A+ so it has the 'bird slicer' IFF bars molded on the nose in front of the windscreen, early CF Hornets didn't have these. The next big Canadian mod is the search light in the ammo loading door; NOT ALWAYS CARRIED!!! The units on NORAD duty will have the lights, the line Hornets have a white blanking plate behind the clear lens in the ammo door, IIRC the door has an 'ejector pin' mark (for lack of a better term) in the back. The Canadian Birds also had a different layout for the MLG legs but I am willing to bet most people looking at the kit will not notice or know the difference!

HTH

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with everything FlyboyF18 mentioned, but all those mods mentioned are easily done and should be no problem.   The point is, that unless you're insisting on a strictly OOTB build, passing up an Academy F/A-18C/D in the hopes of specifically finding the Canadian boxing of the CF-18 , shouldn't be a deal-breaker in your quest to add a CF-18 (single or dual) to your collection.    Besides, if you want a dual CF-18, you'll have to get the (Academy) F/A-18D boxing anyway and do the mods mentioned below.

Changing the C/D fin back to a A/B configuration is just a matter of sanding/removing the centre fairing from the fin's trailing edge.  The ID light is only a matter of drilling a hole in the port ammo door, using a bit of sheet plastic to act as a backing for the light (unless you wish to 'detail' it somewhat & filling in a lens with something like Krystal Klear, a PVA-type glue (white glue) or Humbrol Clear-fix, etc.  The difference in the MLG layout that was also mentioned, amounts to nothing more than reversing the oleo 'leg' … but then again, how many will even notice?   "Leading Edge " currently have re-prints of some of their CF-18 sheets for no less than 5 of the 'special schemes' applied over the years.  I believe Canuck Decals did 1 or 2 CF-18 sheets for 'line' aircraft.  However, these would have to be found on the secondary market as Canuck Decals has made the decision to cease trading, some time ago.

Scott

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was a special release a few years back of Canadian Hornets in special paint that I bought two of. I don't plan to use the decal schemes included so if you think you want them please let me know.

It was this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/canuck-model-products-03572-cf-18a-hornet--949308

I can also send the instruction sheet and any additional "Canadian parts" you might need. I think the boxing came with extras but i have to dig it out to be sure.