Junkers Ju 87B-1 Stuka (Airfix 1:72)

Hi All, This is my entry. I purchased it last year (complete with some aftermarket goodies) as I had always wanted to build one. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the STGB in the calendar!! :laugh:

2icAZXT%5D

2icEp2m%5D

2icDmFL%5D

2icAZZS%5D

• Like 14

Hi there,

great choice! I assume there are going to be quite a few Airfix B-1 built in this GB, and rightly so!

We will have to exchange notes!!!!

I know I have some PE somewhere for the Ju 87B, possibly for the Fujimi kits, but unfortunately I did store it in a safe place... So it may reappear long after the GB finishes. 

Why is life always so predictable?

Have a lot of fun!

jr

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Looks like  this STGB was specially made for you :thumbsup:

Enjoy your build.

Cheers, Peter

It was indeed!! Thanks Peter :smile:

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see you joining in Nigel, I assume from the extra swastikas that you will be building a Luftwaffe machine.

Hi Craig, Hope you're well. There are two build options with the kit and I'm opting for A: sturzkampfgeschwader 51 - 1940. The decals came with the aftermarket and I'm told they are for this version. As always, my subject knowledge isn't great but I've googled some pictures and they appear to fit. Cheers.

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi there,

great choice! I assume there are going to be quite a few Airfix B-1 built in this GB, and rightly so!

We will have to exchange notes!!!!

I know I have some PE somewhere for the Ju 87B, possibly for the Fujimi kits, but unfortunately I did store it in a safe place... So it may reappear long after the GB finishes. 

Why is life always so predictable?

Have a lot of fun!

jr

Haha - I hope the PE appears sooner for you!! 

• Like 1

I thought I had posted some progress but it seems to have disappeared!  Oh well, I probably dumb thumbed it! :facepalm:

That aside, here's what I have to date now that the paint has arrived:

2idv8Ad%5D

2ifQFxP%5D

• Like 10

Hi Nigel,

what paint are you using?

I have a fetiche about RLM 02 (Don't ask!) This color often looks completely different from one photo to the next, and I am talking about black and white period shots. Likewise, the paint manufacturers produce everything from a very light grey to a dark grey green...

The color you are using is pretty close to the idea I have of what RLM 02 is supposed to look like. 

I should have joined the Luftwaffe in 1939, and now I would be certain of the hue. Wrong career move!

Have fun.

JR

• Haha 1

Hi Jean,

That did just make me laugh out loud!

I tend to use Vallejo Air where I can and that's the paint used here. Humbrol called out 240 which translates to 44 in VA.

Try not to get too excited!! :wink:

Cheers

Nigel

Good start, but I have to say I am not too fond an the coloured Eduard IPs as the digital printing is noticeable. The Yahu IPs do look much better in the small scale and don't cost the world.

One way to improve the look of the Eduard IP I found is to applying a thick layer of flat varnish and then a thin layer of semi gloss, followed by glazing the instrument with gloss varnish. This results in a much improved finish of the IP.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter, Thanks for dropping in :happy:

I know what you mean re. the Eduard parts; the colour does appear to be off. However, I'm fairly pragmatic in the sense that once it's done up, under the human eye (as opposed to the camera lens) and on he shelf, it's not so bad.

Here's the latest photos!!

2ihK57y%5D

2ihMvVg%5D

2ihK561%5D

• Like 12

Great job!

It looks busy and realistic, so all is well!

Silly question: what are the "boxes" painted aluminium, on the starboard rear side of the gunner's cockpit?

I cannot find any picture of these thingies to make a decision as to what they are supposed to represent!

Good show!

JR

• Like 2

Hi Craig, Stix, Ed, Glynn & Jean,

Thanks for the support; really appreciated  :blush:  It's a lovely kit to work on; Kudos to Airfix!

Jean, I have to admit that I don't have a clue what they are (I just like sticking plastic together) but I'm sure someone with far more subject knowledge will be able to educate us🤞 However, here's the Airfix and Eduard instructions as further clues 🕵️‍♂️ 🔍. I didn't add what appear to be handles at this scale as I find pulling ones hair out can be rather painful! :hungover:

2iiWhKG%5D

2iiWhJ4%5D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Couple of quick update pictures. I don't use all the etch at this scale but I'm thinking the hinges / rods on the ailerons / flaps might be a worthwhile upgrade (they are not yet fixed) :think:

2iiYKeC%5D

2iiYKcd%5D

2iiWpBh%5D

• Like 10

Hi Winbledon,

looking at the Eduard notice, these thingies are spare chargers for the gunner's MG15 machine gun!

I cannot say Airfix did them justice. Furthermore, they should be black, not aluminium... They definitely need reshaping slightly.

Be careful gluing the air brakes: check first whether there is going to be a cross under them.

Great job!!!

Keep having fun.

JR

• Like 4

Hi Winbledon.

just another random thought, although it may be already too late for you.

I came to the conclusion that I need to paint the exhaust stubs before inserting them where they belong, and as well paint in the right camo colors the fuselage sides by the exhausts before anything else as well.

Painting these little bits of plastic sticking out, without making a complete hash of the camo around them, is beyond my abilities. And life is too short to keep faffing around with it!

I love what you got so far!

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

My plan for the stubs is to paint the camo then mask around the stack and dry brush the required colour. Should look OK but time will tell!

Something else I thought about was painting the ailerons and flaps prior to fitting due to masking issues around the hinges and rods but I hope that in attacking it upside-down (by painting the upper-sides first; I usually do the underside first), the masking should be quite simple :wonder:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Jean,

My plan for the stubs is to paint the camo then mask around the stack and dry brush the required colour. Should look OK but time will tell!

Something else I thought about was painting the ailerons and flaps prior to fitting due to masking issues around the hinges and rods but I hope that in attacking it upside-down (by painting the upper-sides first; I usually do the underside first), the masking should be quite simple :wonder:

Decision, decision....

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:56 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Peter, Thanks for dropping in :happy:

I know what you mean re. the Eduard parts; the colour does appear to be off. However, I'm fairly pragmatic in the sense that once it's done up, under the human eye (as opposed to the camera lens) and on he shelf, it's not so bad.

Actually that is not what I meant. I meant the lines you get in the digital printing process and what I described helps to make them less visible.

Your cockpit looks great and you made some nice progress in getting it all together :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, Basilisk said:

Actually that is not what I meant. I meant the lines you get in the digital printing process and what I described helps to make them less visible.

Your cockpit looks great and you made some nice progress in getting it all together :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

Ah, I see what you mean now, Peter!  :doh:  Thanks for the support  :happy:

I've hit a small stumbling block in that Part No: E04 isn't formed properly. I've just mailed Airfix re. a replacement via their website and have been advised by an automated mail that I can expect a response within 28 DAYS!!  :headbang:

Still, lots more to be getting on with in the interim.

Hi Nigel. Progress was looking excellent until I read your last post above. Hope you manage to get the replacement sorted before the 28 days! 

Kind regards,

Stix