Aircraft Stands

nheather

I don’t normally build aircraft, mostly I do tanks and AFVs.  As a stocking filler this Christmas I was given  Aldi £5 special Folland Gnat.  I would like to display it flying but unlike the Airfix kits I built as a kid back in the 1970s they don’t come with stands any more.

So this is me being a little tight and asking for some advice.  I see that Airfix sell stands separately, some look identical to the ones I remember from my childhood and others allowing you to display two or more aircraft on the same stand.  Trouble is (me being tight) the stands are only available in a big pack including serveral each of different sizes, but that pack is pushing £15 wish seems a bit over the top for one kit that cost £5.

So are there any alternatives, or any neat ideas to make stands on the cheap?

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

It's fairly easy to make a stand yourself using a small wooden block (available from Ebay) and a length of brass rod which you can insert into a suitably sized hole drilled into the underside of the model.

That thought had occurred to me but I was not (still not) sure what to get - any specific suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Nigel

14 minutes ago, nheather said:

That thought had occurred to me but I was not (still not) sure what to get - any specific suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

You should be able to find a suitable wooden base on Ebay by searching for "wooden craft blocks" or "wooden craft plaques" and a length of brass rod: for a subject as diminutive as a Gnat a two or three millimetre diameter rod, from Albion Alloys may be suitable.  To "guild the lily" attach an embroidered badge or sicker to the base.

Hope this helps

• Like 1