Airfix Hunter F4

Graham T

That's awesome, Graham! Congrats, brah. Still we're not able to get the F.6 boxing down here so, if anyone reading this thread happened to be visiting the Argieland soon, please let me know so that I wire you the necessary quid thru PayPal for you to get the kit over there in Britain, and then you bring it down here in your luggage.

Will be sure to show you round the city, the pubs, restaurants, grills, and some more nighttime lairs and joints. Also, you can even crash at home if you dare. :lol:

Yeh, certainly you can...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

That's awesome, Graham! Congrats, brah. Still we're not able to get the F.6 boxing down here so, if anyone reading this thread happened to be visiting the Argieland soon, please let me know so that I wire you the necessary quid thru PayPal for you to get the kit over there in Britain, and then you bring it down here in your luggage.

Will be sure to show you round the city, the pubs, restaurants, grills, and some more nighttime lairs and joints. Also, you can even crash at home if you dare. :lol:

Yeh, certainly you can...

Cheers,

Unc2

What if one of us bought it here and shipped it to you?  It wouldn't cost that much to ship would it?

Neil,

Thanks a lot, but main problem is those bloody crooks who've been put back into government once again by the ignorant and idle mob in my country. IRS will force a 30% fee on the price of the kit and another 30% fee on the shipping price, so unless the crooks at Customs bought that on the CN22 label the declared cost of the kit read £1.50 and shipping price another £0.50, the overall cost + the fee would be prohibitive for anyone to pay, and this is exactly why no hobby shop owner down here affords to import the Airfix Hunter or any other new kit for that matter.

I'm okay with paying import fees and taxes, it's just that I'm too sure that the destiny those funds will reach is only the pockets of the corrupted rulers.

Yeh, I am...

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

so unless the crooks at Customs bought that on the CN22 label the declared cost of the kit read £1.50 and shipping price another £0.50, the overall cost + the fee would be prohibitive for anyone to pay,

what if it is declared as a 'gift'  as opposed to commercial goods?

One other point, the box is big,  big enough to get two kits in I'd think. maybe with a little creative cutting, and to the untrained eye it still look like a kit... maybe worth considering as way of spreading the extortion fee... 

Troy! :worthy:

I'm afraid I tried that scheming to no avail; see, crooks know their business very well, so they will tell you that there's no such thing as entering any foreign manufacture in the country as a "gift", so if there's no declared price on the CN22 label, they will look up the kit price right there on the Intertubes, before you, or worse, they will make up their own estimate for both the kit and its shipping.

Crooks at Customs all open shipping boxes, the more so if big, so that's not an option either, unfortunately. The only way is someone returning to the country from abroad, or if I learn that someone from abroad is to visit Argieland and they bring me anything in their lugagge. Then it's jsut the kit price.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Sad 2

A thought. If the box is big enough could you get 2 Hunters into one box or even three into a bigger kit box (non Hunter) and split the import costs between another two modelling mates? Declare costs as for one kit. Ok unless the customs guy knows a Hunter has only two wings :D

Oh and delete the part about

On 09/01/2020 at 18:40, Uncle Uncool said:

if anyone reading this thread happened to be visiting the Argieland soon, please let me know so that I wire you the necessary quid thru PayPal for you to get the kit over there in Britain, and then you bring it down here in your luggage.

Otherwise around 150 Britmodellers will turn up at the door a week after it comes out here all looking for free beds and 🍺 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Otherwise around 150 Britmodellers will turn up at the door a week after it comes out here all looking for free beds and 🍺 

:lol: John, they will be all welcome. There's always the deck and lounge chairs by the pool, or the saddles and tent in the backyard now that it's summer time down here and they won't get cold. As for the beers, well; I'll have to come up with something. Two pints each, minimum - that makes 300 pints in total! :doh:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I'm afraid I tried that scheming to no avail; see, crooks know their business very well, so they will tell you that there's no such thing as entering any foreign manufacture in the country as a "gift", so if there's no declared price on the CN22 label, they will look up the kit price right there on the Intertubes, before you, or worse, they will make up their own estimate for both the kit and its shipping.

if in a kit box?  What about just the basic plastic parts in a generic box,  and just send decals and instructions as a letter?  That would look like a second hand gift perhaps?  Taken off the trees would also drop the weight a bit, and would ceratinly not be a new commercial item. 

Would also allow for a lower CN22 declaration :whistle:

as an aside,  new tool Airfix kits are not turning up at a discount anymore,  I only just got a Hunter via our sale pages.... not that I need any more kits. Ever. Honest....

reminds me,  I dug out an Academy Hunter and was meaning to have a proper compare and contrast...

27 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:lol: John, they will be all welcome. There's always the deck and lounge chairs by the pool, or the saddles and tent in the backyard now that it's summer time down here and they won't get cold. As for the beers, well; I'll have to come up with something. Two pints each, minimum - that makes 300 pints in total! :doh:

I calculate that 300 pints makes you better off by 150 Hunters then :D

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

A thought. If the box is big enough could you get 2 Hunters into one box or even three into a bigger kit box (non Hunter) and split the import costs between another two modelling mates? Declare costs as for one kit. Ok unless the customs guy knows a Hunter has only two wings :D

You can get 2 kits in qne box, as I have 4 and to save space I double boxed them.

Julien

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

as an aside,  new tool Airfix kits are not turning up at a discount anymore,  I only just got a Hunter via our sale pages.... not that I need any more kits. Ever. Honest....

Wonderland had them at £29.99 at Telford so I picked a couple up, rude not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if in a kit box?  What about just the basic plastic parts in a generic box,  and just send decals and instructions as a letter?  That would look like a second hand gift perhaps?  Taken off the trees would also drop the weight a bit, and would ceratinly not be a new commercial item. 

Would also allow for a lower CN22 declaration :whistle:

It's neither the kit box nor the weight but what you bring from abroad; they will always ask you what the cost was for whatever there is in the box, and they will even ask you proof of the payment you made for it (invoice, e-mail transaction or credit card statement).

I've traded decals with members on this forum and most of times I had to declare the cost before Customs/IRS. There was only one time where Aztec Models sent me the reprint of their 48-048 War For The Falkalnds Part 1 sheet that it miraculously passed the scans as a personal letter - I don't know why, as that sheet is worth USD25 + shipping.

reminds me,  I dug out an Academy Hunter and was meaning to have a proper compare and contrast...

That'd be HIGHLY interesting! Post some of your conclusion, please!

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I calculate that 300 pints makes you better off by 150 Hunters then :D

Indeed! Oh, I forgot to mention that there's always the possibility that my neighbour could take some people in as well; a she-neighbour with such a nice bottom.

She's a great cook.

32 minutes ago, Julien said:

as I have 4 and to save space I double boxed them.

And are you travelling in Argieland soon, Julien? :rofl2:

Yeh, I'm desperate...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 1

Mine arrived today, ironically as I was cutting up the F6 for a two seat conversion. The kit has parts in it for a GA11 too. The new "sine dentum canes" wing inserts look nice and the shape of the 100 series jet pipe looks good too. The Suez Mk5 has full decal stripes too.  The only thing the Mk 5 builder will need to do, if they are in the mood, is alter the fuselage vents and grilles for the sapphire engine.
The parts for the later big bore rear fuselage are still in the kit, so this is the better buy for versatility I would say as you can now build any single seat non FR Hunter from this box.

All in all, despite having all the little niggles of the F6 release- excellent decals and good options make this a really nice kit. 

cheers

Jonners

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

l The only thing the Mk 5 builder will need to do, if they are in the mood, is alter the fuselage vents and grilles for the sapphire engine.

...if you're that fussy you need to change some for the F.2 & F.4 aswel, as I understand it it comes with the upper wing and fuselage of the F.6.

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

...if you're that fussy you need to change some for the F.2 & F.4 aswel, as I understand it it comes with the upper wing and fuselage of the F.6.

You are most probably correct there. If you have the F6 model and can comment on what should be changed, then I'm sure it would be welcomed. the F6a spine ledge is still there etc etc - but as i said these are all the foibles of the original F6 release.
I'm not totally sure how the upper wing changes for an F2/4/5/early 6 other than the dog tooth going? I think somewhere I've posted about the 3 different Aden cannon shell ejection port styles, but I must confess that the nuances of the Sapphire vs Avon fuselage tend to escape.

cheers

Jonners 

• Like 1

I will try and get around to that.

Luckily I have been intimate (more than I liked on some occasions!) with small and big bore Avon Hunters so will dig out the pictures.

I don't believe the wing itself is any different, apart from the extended outer leading edges.

Regarding the Sapphire differences that really will need referral to walk around shots, hopefully @StephenMG can help.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Not sure if this will help but this is what I came up with for the SAM Datafile.

spacer.png

These are some scans from the repair manual that also shows the 'openings' in the 100-series Avon aircraft (Mks 1, 4, 7, 8, 11) and the 200-series Avon aircraft (Mks 6, 9, 10),

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a scan from the Vol.3 which shows the 100-series in more surface detail,

spacer.png

Incidentally, if you really want to get fussy, the early Hunters had a different design of airbrake to the later marks.

Early design,

spacer.png

Later design,

spacer.png

Hope that helps.

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Yes, 100-series engine (plus Sapphire) = old airbrake, 200-series engine = new airbrake. The new design of airbrake provided greater surface area, therefore more braking power, to aircraft with the more powerful engines without having to move the jack or hinge positions.

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere, but is the "back part" (aft of the obvious join line) the same on the two air brakes?

I'm pretty sure it is. I don't know for certain but I suspect they just redesigned and extended the front 'bit'.

• Thanks 1