Airfix Bf110 undercarriage

dad's lad

Yes I know that the Eduard kits are better but being in the possession of 2 Airfix Bf110's I'm determined to build them but I've always been bothered by parts 61D and 62D.

These are staple shaped bits that fit across the undercarriage legs and are VERY visible on the finished model. I think they're meant to be in contact with the gear doors and that Airfix have them too low but can't find anyone mentioning this before.

I do have both Eduard and Italeri kits and these seem to have them where I would expect. Can anyone confirm that I need to locate these parts higher please?

Clive.

5 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Clive

Take a look at this walk around here on BM, the parts on question are clearly visible:

Cheers

Jure

Cheers Jure, that confirms my suspicion that Airfix have them in a VERY wrong place. I'll leave them off until the gear doors are on then attach them.

Clive

You are right, Clive. As I understand it, the gear doors on the Bf-110 were under tension at all times, with those "spreaders" attached to the gear struts forcing the doors open as the undercart is extended, and closing as the undercart is retracted and the spreader no longer holds the doors open. As Julien's walk around  link shows, they are very visible parts of the undercart and go a long way to making an accurate Bf-110 model.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

31 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

You are right, Clive. As I understand it, the gear doors on the Bf-110 were under tension at all times, with those "spreaders" attached to the gear struts forcing the doors open as the undercart is extended, and closing as the undercart is retracted and the spreader no longer hold the doors open. As Julien's walk around  link shows, they are very visible parts of the undercart and go a long way to making an accurate Bf-110 model.

Mike

Thanks Mike, funny thing is that I can't find any mention of this in any reviews or builds previously.