ANA ‘Star Wars BB-8’ Boeing 777-300ER in 1/144

I present my Revell Boeing 777-300ER in ANA’s Star Wars BB-8 livery JA789A. This is a really cool scheme, along with the other Star Wars adorned jets. I read that not only is the exterior painted to depict a particular character from the movie series, but it also continues the theme inside with items such as headrest covers and napkins portraying the characters.

The build was a simple OOB, with the after market decals purchased from Jon at 8A Decals. The build was straight forward enough, and easy to complete. I have the Zvezda 773 also, which is going to go in to Eva Air’s ‘Hello Kitty’ scheme. The paints I used was Halfords Appliance White for the fuselage, Halfords Racking Grey for the wings and horizontal stabilisers and engine nacelles & pylons and various Revell Aqua colours for the metals and tyres. 

The decals were fun to apply... it was an intricate job, and I haven’t got it completely perfect, but like anything, it’s all a learning curve. I love how well the decals apply to the aircraft and conform to a ‘painted on’ look once set. 

Overall I enjoyed this build, and I am encouraged to build the 787 R2-D2 possibly in the future. I have a lot of exciting projects to do this year, I am currently working on a Norwegian Air B787-9. I look forward to sharing them with you in the future 😃.

As always, thank you for looking and any comments and constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Regards,

Alistair

ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8 ANA 777-300ER BB-8

• Like 29

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

The force is strong with you.....

Or

You came in that thing?.. you're braver than I thought!

😉

I saw what you did there haha 😆. Thank you 

51 minutes ago, Squibby said:

Looking good, I think I saw the real thing once in Japan. 

Thank you! I’d love to see all of them for real 👍🏻

Another excellent model Alastair. I really like the weathering on the wings. The windscreen is very effective - is that 8A's own decal?

Have you decided on a character for the Norwegian 787-9 yet? 

Dave G

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Another excellent model Alastair. I really like the weathering on the wings. The windscreen is very effective - is that 8A's own decal?

Have you decided on a character for the Norwegian 787-9 yet? 

Dave G

Thank you Dave 😃. Yes it is 8A’s one decal for the cockpit... I did purchase some 773 AA windows for this project, but have misplaced them. I have another 773 in my stash so may use them on that. 

I have chosen the UNICEF livery for it, the decals arrived yesterday so I’m excited to get on with it now.

Alistair

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Alistair.  I too like the very subtle weathering on the wings and even though there isn't a cheat line I'm quite taken with the livery as well.

Certainly looking forward to the Norwegian Dreamliner.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spad said:

Very nice! Excellent decal-work there and love that base!

ATB
Rick

Thank you Rick. I made it using some old cardboard, just a means to try and display the models better. 
Regards,

Alistair

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Excellent choice of livery this is!

An attractive model you have built!

Cheers

Thank you, and loving the Star Wars styled reply 👍🏻😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

This is on my to do list to, just need a place to put mine. This one looks great.

I am running out of space in the man cave to display the big models haha... might have to start hanging them from the ceiling although I doubt the wife would agree 😂

25 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

I am running out of space in the man cave to display the big models haha... might have to start hanging them from the ceiling although I doubt the wife would agree 😂

She might disagree only if she hits her head on them. I have to build cases first, then make the models. Everything's filled now. Need a carpenter. Haven't even seen the Star Wars movies since the one with Jar Jar Binks and the hovering snail looking things.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

She might disagree only if she hits her head on them. I have to build cases first, then make the models. Everything's filled now. Need a carpenter. Haven't even seen the Star Wars movies since the one with Jar Jar Binks and the hovering snail looking things.

Yeah that’s very true haha... I have a big shelving unit but that’s filled with baby buses and B737s. I haven’t seen all the up to date ones yet either...

20 hours ago, stringbag said:

Very nice indeed Alistair.  I too like the very subtle weathering on the wings and even though there isn't a cheat line I'm quite taken with the livery as well.

Certainly looking forward to the Norwegian Dreamliner.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

Thank you Chris! I am excited to progress with it, I like the Norwegian livery... it’s simple but striking in its own way. I opted for the UNICEF livery to show support for the great work they do. I have so many exciting things to do this year... I have an A321neo that will be in Hawaiian‘a livery and the Eva Air 773.

Regards,

Alistair 

On 10/01/2020 at 19:45, Timski1 said:

Them decals look like a headache! Beautiful build! Patience must be strong in you :’) 

Thank you. It wasn’t easy haha... I have a Hello Kitty one to do in the future and fearing that’ll be more of a headache haha.

Hi Alistair,

Very eye-catching indeed! My daughter is a Star Wars fan and would love one of these, trouble is she'd also want the R2D2 and C3PO jets as well!

Good to hear the 8a Decals performed well I've not used any of Jon's sheets but he does some interesting liveries.

As with Chris and Dave I like your subtle weathering on the wings it helps to bring an airliner to life as it doesn't take long for the wings and flaps to get a bit grubby.

Looking forward to all you have in store for us this year sounds like you're going to be busy!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2020 at 12:24, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Very eye-catching indeed! My daughter is a Star Wars fan and would love one of these, trouble is she'd also want the R2D2 and C3PO jets as well!

Good to hear the 8a Decals performed well I've not used any of Jon's sheets but he does some interesting liveries.

As with Chris and Dave I like your subtle weathering on the wings it helps to bring an airliner to life as it doesn't take long for the wings and flaps to get a bit grubby.

Looking forward to all you have in store for us this year sounds like you're going to be busy!

Cheers,

Ian 

Hi Ian,

Thank you 👍🏻. I don’t blame her haha, I’d love to do the R2-D2 at some point. It’s having the room in the man cave to display the larger models haha. They are good decals, and once set they achieve the desired painted on look. I have 2 sets on the way, B773 Eva Air ‘Hello Kitty’ and some for an A321neo that will be displayed in the the Hawaiian Airlines new colours. 

I have a lot of models waiting to be started haha, so I’ll be busy this year for sure. Looking forward to sharing them with you all.

Regards,

Alistair

Hello Scotsman,

Unusual, but striking at first look.

That is what modeling is all about.

Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1