1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - released

Homebee

Newsflash - you can paint it any way you like ;) 

If the dude (I assume it's a dude) that built the test shot likes preshading, good for him. Doesn't say anything about the kit itself. Which looks really nice btw, although the price is too steep for me at almost 40 quid.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

And here's the rub!

I accept that weathering any subject is a matter of personal taste.

I do however wonder if the people who will spend hours counting rivets and berating manufacturers for the smallest thing are among those who spend hours recreating such O T T , over weathered, unrealistic finishes?

John🙄😉

Nah, you have no idea... people who care about/bothered by smallest things are usually perfectionists, things that look brand new=perfection, things that looks old and used=yikes. If anything it tends to be the other way around: why bothered by a little OTT weathering😉

Indeed that look awful to me too, GWH's test build with basically no shading looks much better, maybe Academy went for this look to distinguish from GWH, their B-1B build was pretty normal.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sroubos said:

Newsflash - you can paint it any way you like ;) 

If the dude (I assume it's a dude) that built the test shot likes preshading, good for him. Doesn't say anything about the kit itself. Which looks really nice btw, although the price is too steep for me at almost 40 quid.

Of course you can paint it how you like, but it's not just anyone's model, it's Academy's promotional model, always better to have no or very subtle weathering on those, not make it look unrealistic with "artistic" weathering. It's also made the panel lines stand out more which isn't a good idea on a 1/144th kit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the GWH kit in work and loving what they have done, I took the plunge and ordered the Academy kit from a certain online auction site yesterday afternoon.
Hopefully this will arrive within the next fortnight as I’m looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against both Academy’s B-1B which I finished recently (see Ready For Inspection thread), as this is a beautiful kit, and GWH’s kit. 

Academy have definitely lost on panel line finesse but gain back in the engine and weaponry stakes. I much prefer Academy’s approach to the cockpit glazing, and including canopy masks in this scale is a smart move, the fit of these in the B-1 kit are absolutely spot-on. If the decals have been done by Cartograf again then this is another area where the modeller has peace of mind.

Either way, the choice of 2 new-tool B-52’s and a new B-1B in quick succession has got to good for all of us with a liking for big grey strategic bombers and limited shelf space!

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 2