1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - box art - release Q1 2021
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - box art+test build+schemes+decals - release Q1 2021

The nose looks fine to me.

I saw higher definition photos somewhere else, cannot remember where but it seems they managed to tool the nacelle exhaust open vs blocked on GWH's kit. If confirmed, that would be a nice touch from Academy, although IMHO still not a deal-breaker on GWH's side.

I will probably just buy both kits for the sake of comparison.

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

B-52 experts chime in please. Is it just me or is the nose too pointed?

In my opinion looking from available images the radome pointiness is close but it looks a bit too much nose up slant. It is too soon for a conclusion without any actual plastic on hand however. Anyway I prefer Academy kit over GWH because more proper modern bomb load like GBU-31. I have no interest opening a bomb bay so no comment on internal load of Mk.117. Certainly I will get this kit to accompany My Revell G and H and see does it really need any alteration.

Edited by Teeradej
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Shame IMO.

We could use a new tool early H with hound dogs and Skybolt! 😎

Yes! I'd like that a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - box art+test build+schemes+decals+sprues - release Q1 2021
1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Fuselage panel lines look big for 1/144 scale.

To me, they are very similar to the panel lines on their otherwise great B-1 kit, so yes, slightly too pronounced for my taste. I will probably buy the B-52 kits from both Academy and GWH and check if the best aspects from both kits can be combined.

• Like 2

Looks nice, I've currently got the GWH kit on the bench and the breakdown is similar. Academy's engines are far superior though. the GWH kit doesn't have any exhaust detail at all.

I'll probably pick up an Academy kit when its released as they are a manageable size in this scale.

Eng

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really want one, but just like Airfix's recent Vulcan post that weathering puts me off. It looks awful to me. I saw my first B-52 in the air a month ago and it didn't look like that!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I really want one, but just like Airfix's recent Vulcan post that weathering puts me off. It looks awful to me. I saw my first B-52 in the air a month ago and it didn't look like that!

This B-52 build looks like a striped zebra.

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress by Academy - released
39 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Another victim of the modelling curse that is "pre shading"?

I don't think I've EVER seen a B-52 that looked like that!!

Available to pre order from Wonderlandmodels.com at £36.95. Due on 1st June. Day after the GWH kit is available from Jumblies Models! !!

John

Yes it's not nice. Manufacturers use to seem to only want the kits build for their promotions built and painted without any weathering, but now they seem to be targeting these kits to the unrealistic over the top weathering modellers who it appears seem to think a realistic looking model is boring.

Though they are probably annoyed because this 1/144th scale kit isn't covered in rivet holes so they can add more "depth" to their unrealistic model 🙄 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

And here's the rub!

I accept that weathering any subject is a matter of personal taste.

I do however wonder if the people who will spend hours counting rivets and berating manufacturers for the smallest thing are among those who spend hours recreating such O T T , over weathered, unrealistic finishes?

John🙄😉

If you want to make this kit look more interesting and realistic at the same time they should spend the time adding a stressed skin effect, which is of course very obviously on the BUFF, rather than darkening every panel line and lightening the center of every panel. Obviously not appropriate for the promo model, but then neither is ridiculous weathering. 

• Like 1