Sweet USAAF P51Bs at RAF Boxted

Tim R-T-C

spacer.png

Hiya,

I picked this pack up some time last year from Martin at Coastal Craft models (the best 1/144 seller on the show circuit!).

I am going to build both planes in the box to form a small diorama at RAF Boxted in April 44, with one Malcolm Hooded example as AJ-A and the other with the standard canopy.

Going to be a quick build as I am intending to display at the IPMS Bolton show on the 19th!

• Like 2

First nights work, the interiors were painted with Humbrol 226 Interior Green. Aside from the seat there is no interior detail at all, not even a panel.

The fuselage was sealed up and a couple of vents added to the underside, ready for painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Welcome, Tim!  Nice to see these in the GB- our fifth scale.  Ever since I read a build review of Sweet's FM-2 Wildcats, I've meant to pick up at least one example of their stuff, but I've yet to stumble across any, surprisingly enough.  Or perhaps I simply failed to notice!

bob

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Welcome, Tim!  Nice to see these in the GB- our fifth scale.  Ever since I read a build review of Sweet's FM-2 Wildcats, I've meant to pick up at least one example of their stuff, but I've yet to stumble across any, surprisingly enough.  Or perhaps I simply failed to notice!

bob

They are not very common in the UK, I've only seen them new at shows on Martin's stand and none of the regular online sellers seem to stock them.

The newer releases have anime style artwork which makes them look more like 'toon' kits, which might put some people off.

I've got plenty in the stash but this is my first build!

I painted a white nose for Ding Hao! Not sure on the scheme for the second yet, two options from 354FG are included but I need some Humbrol Insignia Yellow for one which I don't have, see if I can find some during the week.

Layed out the diorama base today, applied mud, tarmac and static grass.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Drab is down. I used neat Humbrol 155 on the first plane and added a dash of 29 dark earth for Ding Hao, to add some variation.

All the remaining parts are now painted, so just need to decal the planes, varnish and wash, fit the gear and canopies, paint and set the figures and finish the diorama by Saturday night!

spacer.png

• Like 4

Decalling is underway, those Sweet decals are tough to get off the blue paper - they needed a lot of encouragement, but since it was half midnight I had to leave it at the white stripes for now, finish off tonight.

Sorry forgot to take a photo!

Found some figures who just need a little surgery and got the fuel tanks painted up, so should hopefully get all finished except the final varnish tonight.

• 4 weeks later...